• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnie fur loss

hansy1612

New Kit
Hi I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to cover a bunny who has fur loss, to prevent them getting cold etc.??

I have a 9yr boy called patch who has recently started loosing his fur, turns out this was my fault ☹ ( explanation below) and I want to make sure he is protected, so would putting some form of baby clothing be a suitable item???

Explanation as to why my fault:
This year for the first time patch got fly strike, luckily we noticed straight away, so off I trotted to pets at home, and got some fly Guard, sorted I thought.
Over the next week or so I noticed some lumpy bits, in his fur while I was grooming him, checking for further fly strike etc.
Unfortunately i thought he might have picked up mites, as he goes out in the garden as well as in his run, so off I went again and got mite treatment.

The bumps got worse, vets today and it turns out he has reacted to the treatments I used on him and the lumpy bits are like dandruff and his fur coming out in lumps.

So my trying to help has made him much worse.

You shouldn't need to put any clothing on him as it will be better to let the air get to him. Has he been treated now for Mites? What did you use for the flystrike? His fur should grow again quite quickly.

Yes was treated for mites, although vet said he didn't have them.
And I used fly Guard for the other

Both have ivermectin as active ingredients

I'm just hoping it does grow back

I took on a rabbit with Mites, in the end she had to have all the fur on her back shaved off but it grew back really quickly.

Sorry to hear about Patch I hope his fur grows back quickly x

Small question, how would you know if your rabbit did have mites? I'm using baled hay and wondering if I should just treat for mites in case or what to look out for - sorry for hijacking thread!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about Patch I hope his fur grows back quickly x

Small question, how would you know if your rabbit did have mites? I'm using baled hay and wondering if I should just treat for mites in case or what to look out for - sorry for hijacking thread!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi Leanne :wave:

Fur mites is also called 'walking dandruff' as that's what it looks like!

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

The last photo in this link (dandruff) is most typical.

I have never ever treated for mites unless I am sure they have them. It often indicates that a rabbit's immune system is under par, as usually the mites don't have a chance to proliferate on a rabbit.

Back