• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Going Beautifully

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Some of you may know we lost our beautiful Bella to flystrike just over a week ago. I was away and my partner put Bella’s beloved brother Bertie in with our solo female Pepper (aka Thug Bun), separated by a metal grid, to avoid him feeling lonely and depressed. They’ve been living side by side for a few days, with Pepper throwing occasional grunts his way.

I got back to London last night, and Bertie was booked in for a check-up today. We brought Pepper along in his carrier, partly so he’d have a snuggle mate and partly to kickstart bonding.

The Vet trip went well and little Bertie is doing well, thankfully.

Once back home, we went straight into the bathroom and stayed for a while. There was no nipping, no aggression - just curiosity, grooming and sharing of greens.

Going against all rules of bonding, but with my gut, we placed them in Pepper’s room (in Bertie’s half) and it’s very natural and supportive. They’re hanging out, sharing tray, hay & greens. There’s been some hopping around, exploration and chillaxing.

They won’t be left alone and they won’t have the full run of the room yet, but so far it is going beautifully which is a Godsend after such a stressful week.

I have a positive feeling about this and I’m so relived something good might come out of a horrible situation. :)

I really hope it continues to go well for you all, sending lots of positive vibes :thumb:

Some of you may know we lost our beautiful Bella to flystrike just over a week ago. I was away and my partner put Bella’s beloved brother Bertie in with our solo female Pepper (aka Thug Bun), separated by a metal grid, to avoid him feeling lonely and depressed. They’ve been living side by side for a few days, with Pepper throwing occasional grunts his way.

I got back to London last night, and Bertie was booked in for a check-up today. We brought Pepper along in his carrier, partly so he’d have a snuggle mate and partly to kickstart bonding.

The Vet trip went well and little Bertie is doing well, thankfully.

Once back home, we went straight into the bathroom and stayed for a while. There was no nipping, no aggression - just curiosity, grooming and sharing of greens.

Going against all rules of bonding, but with my gut, we placed them in Pepper’s room (in Bertie’s half) and it’s very natural and supportive. They’re hanging out, sharing tray, hay & greens. There’s been some hopping around, exploration and chillaxing.

They won’t be left alone and they won’t have the full run of the room yet, but so far it is going beautifully which is a Godsend after such a stressful week.

I have a positive feeling about this and I’m so relived something good might come out of a horrible situation. :)

This sounds so peaceful and meant to be. I'm happy for you, and for Bertie.
I hope you've found strength since coming home BB.

Sending you hugs xx

Is it still going good? I hope so x

It’s going very well, thank you for asking :) She’s helping him and he’s helping her too (to calm down). I’m having them spend the night together (I’ll be sleeping in there too) and if all goes well, we’re taking the grid down on Sunday.

They were sitting together in his tray, eating hay earlier. This is great, as his appetite has been low.

It’s so weird; we initially got Pepper for Teddy (solo male), but he’s refused to befriend her - he loves everyone but her - and now I think the universe had some weird hand in this: maybe she was always meant for Bertie.

Pepper has always been very territorial about her room and we even had to keep a separate broom just for her floor as she went bananas if we used one that had been used in other bunny spaces, yet she’s had no issues with him moving in. They share trays and bowls and toys and it just seems ‘right’.

It is lovely to see. She knows he’s sad and she’s helping him x

It’s going very well, thank you for asking :) She’s helping him and he’s helping her too (to calm down). I’m having them spend the night together (I’ll be sleeping in there too) and if all goes well, we’re taking the grid down on Sunday.

They were sitting together in his tray, eating hay earlier. This is great, as his appetite has been low.

It’s so weird; we initially got Pepper for Teddy (solo male), but he’s refused to befriend her - he loves everyone but her - and now I think the universe had some weird hand in this: maybe she was always meant for Bertie.

Pepper has always been very territorial about her room and we even had to keep a separate broom just for her floor as she went bananas if we used one that had been used in other bunny spaces, yet she’s had no issues with him moving in. They share trays and bowls and toys and it just seems ‘right’.

This is so lovely to hear - beautiful bunnies! They are such soulful creatures x

I always find it wonderful the way things can work out.

The Universe seems to have a way of shifting around pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to make the best of what happens x

So last night we removed the grids and gave them the run of the entire room. I expected her to be a bit territorial but it went beautifully. Both have had a peaceful night - as did I - and Pepper groomed the new soft toy unicorn I bought for Bertie.

Now we just need to get him interested in food again. I hope that seeing her eat will inspire him to chomp away too,

Aww yay, glad it went well and there were no signs of aggression :) sending more vibes for it to continue to go well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So last night we removed the grids and gave them the run of the entire room. I expected her to be a bit territorial but it went beautifully. Both have had a peaceful night - as did I - and Pepper groomed the new soft toy unicorn I bought for Bertie.

Now we just need to get him interested in food again. I hope that seeing her eat will inspire him to chomp away too,

What a lovely update :love:

So, we’ve entered phase 2.

Bertie is chirpier and more interested in treats, and Pepper can sense his newfound energy.

They’ve had a couple of tussles, but nothing serious thankfully (so far). I think they’re working out who’s top bun with both of them wanting the spot.

I’m a little concerned, I don’t want anything nasty to happen when we’re not around, especially since introductions went so beautifully.

The journey continues.

Back