• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit proof garden?

PoppyW

New Kit
Hi
We are moving to a new build next week. My rabbit has always lived indoors and hasn’t had much access to gardens before so I’m looking forward to her being able to play outside!
The garden is fully turfed with a small bit of patio too. There’s quite a gap between the bottom of the fence and the grass all the way round. What’s the best way to secure this space? I’m thinking chicken wire unless anyone has anymore imagination!
Any other considerations I need to make? There aren’t any plants yet, literally just grass and patio. Am I right in thinking they can eat as much grass as they like?
Thanks
Poppy

Look up 'Gravel Board' - it's what usually goes up against the gap under a fence, so if it rots against the soil after some years it can be replaced without having to bring the whole panel down.

If you own the property, gravel boards would be a more long term solution. Chicken wire (in my experience) can be a bit flimsy. Galvanised wire mesh is a better option if you take that route. Good luck! :)

If you get the book ‘gardening for rabbits’ by Twigs Way (from the RWAF shop online) , it goes through planting and creating a rabbit friendly garden. Lists of plants they can nibble and ones they don’t like so you can enjoy the garden too. Wish I’d seen it before I planted stuff! I’d second gravel boards too. X

Back