• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get rid of foxes ?

edward

Young Bun
Just today I saw a fox in my garden looking at the garage entrance, and moments later my rabbit ran back inside the garage. I normally let my rabbit go outside for the whole day , without any supervision , every 2-3 hours I check on him or give him some company. My rabbit loves going outside but when I know that there is a fox outside , I don't feel safe having him outside. Is there anyway I could deter the fox from coming near my garden? My rabbit also poops and pees in his litter tray but also outside in one spot, could that attract the fox?

I hate to say it, but if the fox has seen/smelt that you have rabbits, it's not going to leave easily :( They're almost impossible to keep out. We live near the woods, and get a visit at least every morning and evening. We just have to closely supervise, which I understand isn't ideal. You could get a large run, however it will need a lot of work to fully fox proof it.

I have heard male wee (human!) deters foxes. Something to do with testosterone. My 16 year old cousin is far too embarrassed to lend a hand though!

I hate to say it, but if the fox has seen/smelt that you have rabbits, it's not going to leave easily :( They're almost impossible to keep out. We live near the woods, and get a visit at least every morning and evening. We just have to closely supervise, which I understand isn't ideal. You could get a large run, however it will need a lot of work to fully fox proof it.

I have heard male wee (human!) deters foxes. Something to do with testosterone. My 16 year old cousin is far too embarrassed to lend a hand though!

Agreed. IMO if you continue to allow your Rabbit unsupervised access to the garden then it's only a matter of time before the inevitable will happen. Electric Fencing may prevent the Fox from accessing your property, but personally I would not even trust that. Having seen the results of a Fox attack on Pet Rabbits there is absolutely no way I would allow any Rabbit in my care unsupervised free range time in a garden, even if I had never actually seen a Fox. It is often the case that the first time a Rabbit owner sees a Fox is the last time they see their Rabbit(S)

I don't think you can. Not with enough certainty that you can let a rabbit free range, anyway.

I love foxes, but it is such a shame when you've got pets that would be prey to them :( you just have to have safe enclosures and supervise if you want to let them out.

I'll do some research, I guess I'll try the male pee if that doesnt work I'll maybe try buying a fox repellent.

Foxes will go where there is easy prey. The only way to protect pet rabbits if there are foxes around is by providing strong physical barriers - ones that stop the foxes getting near the rabbits (including digging in) - for example, Weldmesh runs (including bases). I would also consider electric livestock type fences (Screwfix did some) to cover a wider area, and lights with sensors for night time use. You also need to consider that rabbits are easily stressed and can die from shock if they harassed by a prowling predator. I wouldn't take any chances. Foxes can clear 6' fences and dig under things very easily - and the results are always devastating.

Foxes will go where there is easy prey. The only way to protect pet rabbits if there are foxes around is by providing strong physical barriers - ones that stop the foxes getting near the rabbits (including digging in) - for example, Weldmesh runs (including bases). I would also consider electric livestock type fences (Screwfix did some) to cover a wider area, and lights with sensors for night time use. You also need to consider that rabbits are easily stressed and can die from shock if they harassed by a prowling predator. I wouldn't take any chances. Foxes can clear 6' fences and dig under things very easily - and the results are always devastating.

I completely agree with this. I would not trust a fox repellent here. A fox has entered this garden to attack the chickens on three occasions, while they have been free-ranging and while we have been a matter of a few feet away from them. They can be very determined.

If fox know rabbit is there through scent, then I'm afraid to say it will be back, and nothing would stop a determined fox, not even repellents, they rarely work on cats and I wouldnt of risk a rabbit free range outdoors unsupervised, your best making a very secure enclosure which is fox proof as others have said and advised

Okay so from the 2 days I've seen the fox he came anywhere between 8am-12pm. Yesterday I decided to scare him off, quite violently, I sneaked up on it and ran at it. I've also cleared my garden of all the rabbit poops . Today the fox did not come at all altough I am very careful when I let him out. A secure enclosure really isn't possible around my garden as I have a classic wooden fence with concrete on the bottom and sides, they're not that tall , smaller than my shed which is maybe 7'.
Im thinking the fox is a female and she's trying to feed her babies which may makes things harder.

Last edited:
Hm, I had some problems with foxes. My hutches are outside, and after a fox broke into one hutch I put better wire on them and fenced them in. Since my confidence in strictly passive defense is limited I put a trap door into the regular fence door, combined with an acustic alarm.
I always have a wildlife camera somewhere outside so that I have an idea what is going on.

Last fox that showed interest was a healthy, young one. They are smart, and cautious. Dont know if that video still works, it doesn't on my computer:
http://www.rcmovie.de/video/28bd272f6b506529569b
You can hear when the rabbits noticed him. Anyway, he came back, got trapped- and didn't like it. I hope he permanently associats domestic rabbits with getting trapped, I never saw him again.
The first fox, the one that killed 5 of my rabbits, a severly mange ridden old one with barely any fur left, wasn't as easily deterred, when I met it inside the fence face to face I shot it.

Living in a quiet valley with the woods just across the street has some drawbacks, but a fence and really sturdy hutches help a lot. I'm not sure the advice local hunters gave me is sound, but what the heck, it definitly doesn't hurt to pee around the perimeter from time to time. But I need to keep my eyes open, and react if necessary.
Imho the rabbits need places to hide in the hutches, not being able to completly get out of sight of whatever is at the door has 2 problems - the rabbits can be scared into shock, and the predator will try everything to get them as long as it sees them.

Last edited:
honestly, not trying to be rude, but you are playing with the devil here. it doesn't matter what the fox is, male, female, a cub, with cubs, they will keep coming back. foxes like easy prey. you bunny is easy prey. you can't be watching 24/7, and if you are in the kitchen and not right behind them, it might be to late anyhow. I think it would be a.. questionable decision to allow a bunny to free roam in this way in this country knowing foxes are everywhere just like cats. that could be another threat, cats.

I don't understand what you're talking about with your back yard - "I have a classic wooden fence with concrete on the bottom and sides".. so you can get a run with runaround tunnels and connect it to the garage. you can most definitely do something. I can literally not think of scenario where you can't do something at least.

its dangerous to what you are doing and I worry for bunny and you. I know I couldn't forgive myself if something happened bc of me.

Yeah from now on I only let my rabbit outside while I supervise him , I dont want to risk it. He seems to be happy either way staying in the garage as thats roughly 7ft by 13ft so he has enough space.

Yeah from now on I only let my rabbit outside while I supervise him , I dont want to risk it. He seems to be happy either way staying in the garage as thats roughly 7ft by 13ft so he has enough space.

That's exactly what I do with Sonic. I would love for him to be totally free range, but it's just not worth the risk :(

Back