• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Declan’s acting odd (mabey)

Ross

Warren Scout
Hey guys, our Declan (who’s grumpy and lazy anyway) is acting a bit odd, he’s drinking, doing little poos, moving around every so often and playing a little., grabbing his lollypop stick toys out of my hand, It’s hard to tell if his personality is off because he’s a bit grumpy all the time.

But he’s not eating his treats or banana. And usually he gets extremely excited when he hears the treat jar. And I’m finding it hard to notice if he’s eating his hay or just sniffing and noseing about it.

I rang the 24hour vets (not a brilliant vets) for advise and they said if he’s drinking then they wouldn’t consider it a ASAP emergency and to monitor him until tomorrow, (which would be the better day for a vets trip as the good vets in my area will be open). I asked should I give him a dose of Critical care? And they came back saying if we are worried then yeah give him some. (Which he hated!)

We cut both rabbits nails yesterday, I doubt that anything to do with anything, but mentioning it just in case.

Any ideas guys? Do they just sometimes not want to binge eat?

given that he is unwilling to eat, it sounds like a dental issue, which can cause GI stasis which is a big problem. I would seriously recommend getting him to a vet asap.

from what you've said about small poops, being less active, a bit lethargic sounds like GI stasis.

the fact that he isn't interested in food could mean that he could have a dental issue.

either way, I wouldn't personally advise to give critical care without a vet seeing first. if he has a blockage you'll only make it worse.

this is very serious sounding, so I really would advise calling back and getting him to the vet, or finding one open on a sunday today and going there now. it doesn't take much for a little bunny to deteriorate, he may need medication and/or fluids depending on the situation. the moment a bunny doesn't want to eat, or move very much, it is time to panic!!

sending vibes, I hope you can sort something out x

Right well he’s nawaning stuff, and eating a little, we got him out his favourite toy which is a haycovered tube, brand new, so he’s using his teeth!

Called up the emergency vets again, the ones I said are not good, and they won’t give us a appointment there two busy!! He seems to be getting a bit more chipper and will eat a little, so I’m happy about that.... but the vets :censored:

Would you like an appointment tomorrow? no thanks we will go to the other branch!

Has he poo'd ? What comes out is just as important as what is going in ? If he has not poo'd today and/or if his output is significantly reduced I would be insisting on the Vet seeing him.

A bit of info about Gut Stasis and why it is always essential to obtain prompt treatment

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

poops are small and tiny but there are poops, we have rang them twice and they wont, ill try again later though! but they are honestly the rudest vets, they really don't care about anything but money! no care for the actually animals

anybody know if I should give him a little bit on pineapple?? I've read that could help?

poops are small and tiny but there are poops, we have rang them twice and they wont, ill try again later though! but they are honestly the rudest vets, they really don't care about anything but money! no care for the actually animals

anybody know if I should give him a little bit on pineapple?? I've read that could help?

Pineapple won't do any harm, and my vet has actually recommended it as part of treatment. :)

Vibes for your little man

I would try to encourage him to drink, fluids are extremely important when GI tract motility is compromised. Fresh herbs such as Coriander may encourage more enthusiastic eating. If you can access some fresh bramble leaves eg Blackberry leaves you could offer him some of them too. Try to encourage him to eat hay. If you have any grass then that too may tempt him. But grass is somewhat frazzled atm after the heatwave so you may not be able to pick any.

Fibre and fluids +++ are the most important things.

Hey guys, our Declan (who’s grumpy and lazy anyway) is acting a bit odd, he’s drinking, doing little poos, moving around every so often and playing a little., grabbing his lollypop stick toys out of my hand, It’s hard to tell if his personality is off because he’s a bit grumpy all the time.

But he’s not eating his treats or banana. And usually he gets extremely excited when he hears the treat jar. And I’m finding it hard to notice if he’s eating his hay or just sniffing and noseing about it.

I rang the 24hour vets (not a brilliant vets) for advise and they said if he’s drinking then they wouldn’t consider it a ASAP emergency and to monitor him until tomorrow, (which would be the better day for a vets trip as the good vets in my area will be open). I asked should I give him a dose of Critical care? And they came back saying if we are worried then yeah give him some. (Which he hated!)

We cut both rabbits nails yesterday, I doubt that anything to do with anything, but mentioning it just in case.

Any ideas guys? Do they just sometimes not want to binge eat?

Which treats does he normally have? Maybe this has upset his tummy. Hope he improves soon.

Right well he’s nawaning stuff, and eating a little, we got him out his favourite toy which is a haycovered tube, brand new, so he’s using his teeth!

Called up the emergency vets again, the ones I said are not good, and they won’t give us a appointment there two busy!! He seems to be getting a bit more chipper and will eat a little, so I’m happy about that.... but the vets :censored:

Would you like an appointment tomorrow? no thanks we will go to the other branch!

If he's eating for himself (a little) and pooping, then perhaps get the vet to provide some gut motility meds so that things will get moving along a bit quicker. Also, pain relief - metacam - would be a good idea.

I'm sure you've read these, but some info just in case:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/diagnosing-and-treating-gastric-ileusstasis-rabbits-proceedings

Also, Infacol - if you can find a pharmacy open and get some - can be extremely helpful and lots of members use it for their rabbits with great success. Good luck.

thanks for the Vibes and information guys!! I really apricate it.

my girlfriends just nipped out to get a pineapple! and a fresh cabbage and broccoli!

I have critical care that the vet said I can give him that, (roughly 12.20) should I give him a second dose?
he seems okay in himself apart from he's only nibbling food, and not being the little piggy he usually is! nowhere near acting the way Marnie did when she had this last year!
has to happen on a Sunday when the rabbit vet isn't around!

makes me feel like such a bad rabbit owner :(

my girlfriends just nipped out to get a pineapple! and a fresh cabbage and broccoli!

I have critical care that the vet said I can give him that, (roughly 12.20) should I give him a second dose?
he seems okay in himself apart from he's only nibbling food, and not being the little piggy he usually is! nowhere near acting the way Marnie did when she had this last year!

Does syringe feeding stress him out ? If so, given that he is still eating a little for himself I would try to encourage him with doing that for a bit longer. Does he have a water bowl or a water bottle ? Rabbits drink more from a bowl. Getting his fluid intake up is important . When gut motility is reduced ingesta within the GI tract rapidly dehydrates, exacerbating the problem.

yeah he has been drinking from a bowl a fair amount today, and he is not a massive fan of syringe feeding to be honest

You are welcome - and you're no way a bad rabbit owner!!

He does need to get food into his gut, so if he were my rabbit I would syringe feed again and also tonight to make sure he's got something in his stomach overnight. If you haven't got any gut motility meds, or even Zantac, then food in the stomach is important. Zantac (Ranitidine) helps to protect the stomach so you could ask your vet for some of that if he's not eating much himself.

Syringe feeding very often kick starts the appetite :)

These things always happen at the weekend of Bank Holiday!!

all we have medicen wise, is the normal critical care which hes had one does of today, might give his his second does soon!

all we have medicen wise, is the normal critical care which hes had one does of today, might give his his second does soon!

I've found mixing it with baby food (Ella's Kitchen for example) helps the flavour. Some people have used Strawberry Ribena in there. You can also used mashed up pellets instead of the CC if he doesn't like the taste (mine don't). I whizz up some pellets in water with a bit of apple and carrot ...

RE the fact that he is gnawing things unfortunately doesn't mean anything. the real issue with rabbits is the back teeth, that can only be grinded down via hay. a poor diet (not pointing any fingers however) can cause dental issues, but some bunnies can have a perfect diet and seem to develop dental issues. breed can play into it as many bunnies these days have a smooshed in face, so their teeth don't have room causing problems.

I can't offer any advice, other than for the future having a bunny first aid kit is a good idea. my usual go to suggestions are: infacol, critical care, pro-c probiotic. I have found those to be the most useful. infacol is good for gas, 1ml every three hours as MM said.

if he isn't eating well, I would suggest 15ml of critical care every two hours. or at least that is what I do, not sure what others opinions are.

I can't comment on pineapple etc but then again I always let mine have a little sip when I have innocent smoothies, I'm too soft :lol:

I'm somewhat leaning towards a dental issue but, nobody will know without a vet check so its really vital asap. I know what you mean with the out of hours vets, they've only been rude to me in the past also :(

well he's eating :) had a treat and some banana which he was shunning all day and eating hay off his own back. to be honest they ways he is now I would have no cause for concern, but after what he was like earlier. My girlfriend is going to ring the vets with the guy who knows about rabbits as soon as it opens tomorrow morning and get his looked over! hopefully it will be a wasted trip and he's okay!

well he's eating :) had a treat and some banana which he was shunning all day and eating hay off his own back. to be honest they ways he is now I would have no cause for concern, but after what he was like earlier. My girlfriend is going to ring the vets with the guy who knows about rabbits as soon as it opens tomorrow morning and get his looked over! hopefully it will be a wasted trip and he's okay!

Sounds all good :)
I hope he will continue to go on well!

Back