• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 Rabbits have had their Ears Flushed

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cry: I’m guessing this is something you read somewhere else? I can’t think why they did it. Very sad:cry:

We was recommended to have honey’s ears flushed when she had a stubborn ear infection we we’re trying to get on top of. Sadly she declined afterwards as they believe her tympanic membrane torn pushing the infection further inside her ear.

I still to this day regret having it done on Honey, as we did loose her a few weeks after.

But when my current bunny bailey has an outer ear infection, again we we’re Recommend to flush his left ear. I refused this at first, but they took 2 CT’s scans at different times to ensure the tympanic membrane was visable and looked in good condition, also we found his ear infection very early on. The vet assured me, they would only use a low flush and for bailey it worked great, it removed a lot of his pus and although we know his ear infection will come and go all his life we’ll always do what we can for him. So although I’m deadly against these flushes, I think in some cases it is worth it for stubborn ear infections providing you trust the vet 100%.

Just to clarify it was the vet who flushed the buns ears.

I think you are referring to my recent post on the UK rabbit Facebook group.

I had it done at he recommendation of my vet due to an outer ear infection. I have a long relationship with my vet who is known for being rabbit savvy and treats a lot of rabbits for local rescues. As far as I was concerned, I was making the best decision for my rabbits on the advice of a professional I trusted.

I am very upset that my personal post would then be used to start a debate in a different public forum.

I think you are referring to my recent post on the UK rabbit Facebook group.

I had it done at he recommendation of my vet due to an outer ear infection. I have a long relationship with my vet who is known for being rabbit savvy and treats a lot of rabbits for local rescues. As far as I was concerned, I was making the best decision for my rabbits on the advice of a professional I trusted.

I am very upset that my personal post would then be used to start a debate in a different public forum.

I am very sorry for you tragic loss :cry: I have had numerous Rabbits who required ear canal flushing, usually under GA. The late Inspector Morse had to have it done regularly for almost 5 years.

Rabbit Ear infections are so complex to deal with and I am sure that any decision you made for your Rabbits was done with their best interests as a priority. Only you and your Vet are in a position to make those judgement calls.

I'm so sorry for your loss; I too have had an ear flush recommended by my vet and it was very successful in this case. Vets can only ever recommend what they feel is best and sadly the outcome can't always be predicted.

I'm going to close this thread and remind members not to bring discussions on the forum from elsewhere just to criticise.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back