• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training....

Elop

Warren Scout
Please can anyone help me with litter training my bunny. He has a cat litter tray with thin layer of wood pellets and then stuffed with hay. He will sometimes use it. He has a soft bed and he likes to use that far more and more than anything he or she likes to poo da dolly wherever he or she is hopping about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly, is the cat litter tray big enough? A lot of us use the underbed storage boxes. I would take away his soft bed as they do like to use soft things for a toilet until he is using the litter tray regularly. Put some of his poops in the litter tray so he hopefully gets the message. I am in the process of trying to get a rabbit litter trained also!

Hi, most cat litter trays are quite small, I think you will find a bigger tray will be better, most of us use low under bed storage boxes which are much larger. Reduced accidents and weeing over the side. You might need more than one tray if bunny persists in going in particular areas. If you sweep up poops and put them in the tray, and mop up wee and neutralise the area with vinegar/water mix then that should help.

A lot of rabbits wee on anything soft so you might need to remove anything that is encouraging them to use it as a toilet.

Neutering/spaying will help reduce territorial marking.

Thank you. Yes that’s what I’ve done as it’s ruined now anyway. I’m setting up under the stairs as his pen today. It’s an open one so he won’t be closed in and I’ll use puppy panels to make a gate. There is a really dark corner in there so he might chose that to use. I’ll have to collect a unserved storage box but his bed he was using is smaller than the current litter box so I think is big enough for now. Thanks so much for your help. How are you getting on with the training?

I wonder if I could put a few scraps of fleece blanket in his litter tray as encouragement to wee there. Then I can gradually stop using them when he is going in the right place.

Once he/she is neutered it'll probably just happen naturally :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Once he/she is neutered it'll probably just happen naturally :)

That would be awesome but he can’t be done for a few months so I need to try and get him to do some of it lol

That would be awesome but he can’t be done for a few months so I need to try and get him to do some of it lol

If he’s a boy, then he can be neutered as soon as his testicles appear :thumb:

Yea, honestly I've had buns that always used their tray and some that just wouldn't, didnt matter what I did [emoji38] but as soon as they'd been neutered they just did it :)

One thing I will say is I had a rabbit who had some major surgery and wasn't allowed to hop around at all for 2 months ish, wasn't good.. But because of this she got used to peeing and pooping on the spot(where previously she was very good at using a litter tray), so when she could eventually have more space she'd go literally everywhere.

Everytime she pooped I collected them up and put them in the tray, I'd soak the pee up with kitchen towel and put it in the tray then I'd clean up the floor really well so she couldn't smell it anymore - it took about 3 months... But she now is litter trained again :) it took a lot of time and effort but I had to really as she's a free range house bun.

I really do understand though most young un neutered buns I've had haven't been litter trained at all [emoji38] and peeing on soft things is very common - I have a doughnut for my indoor buns which they love, because it's a doughnut they don't pee on it for some reason :D

Thank you everyone there is some information for me. I have bought an under bed storage and filled it with old litter tray contents and lots of hay and put his food bowl in it. I’ve bought it into the living room with him tonight and shall place any accidents in it.

Back