• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Making a Decision about Jack

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Jack is still plugging along. He turns 12 on Aug 24th. The tumour on his chest is enormous now and he can't sit comfortably anymore. He has to sit high up or lay down with the mass pushed to his side. He is still eating and has moments of energy but I fear I have to make a decision soon as I've noticed a new issue.

His eyes are starting to bulge out when his head is down, for instance, when he is eating out of his food bowl. He is also breathing at a faster rate then my other rabbit, who is healthy. I feel sad, frustrated and confused. Trying to decide when to say goodbye is so difficult. I'm terrified he is going to go into crisis and suffer horribly. The Vet is going to call me tomorrow to have a discussion.

I am thinking of getting an xray of his lungs to see if the cancer has invaded or if he has fluid building up. If so, I think I will have to let him go soon. Do you think I should get the xray?

Jack is still plugging along. He turns 12 on Aug 24th. The tumour on his chest is enormous now and he can't sit comfortably anymore. He has to sit high up or lay down with the mass pushed to his side. He is still eating and has moments of energy but I fear I have to make a decision soon as I've noticed a new issue.

His eyes are starting to bulge out when his head is down, for instance, when he is eating out of his food bowl. He is also breathing at a faster rate then my other rabbit, who is healthy. I feel sad, frustrated and confused. Trying to decide when to say goodbye is so difficult. I'm terrified he is going to go into crisis and suffer horribly. The Vet is going to call me tomorrow to have a discussion.

I am thinking of getting an xray of his lungs to see if the cancer has invaded or if he has fluid building up. If so, I think I will have to let him go soon. Do you think I should get the xray?

Personally I would not do so as to obtain a good view Jack would need sedation. I dont think I would want to risk that and an Xray would not provide any realistic options re further treatment. But that is something you'd need to discuss with your Vet. The Vet may be able to detect evidence of fluid on Jack's lungs by listening to his chest. If the Vet felt that there was some evidence then a diuretic may be prescribed to see if it helps.

The symptoms you describe, ie the bulging eyes, are seen when large blood vessels returning from the head to the heart are being compressed by an abnormal mass. This then causes increased pressure in the veins of the head and makes the eyes bulge. The eye bulging is often more obvious when the Rabbit's head is down-eg when eating.

I am sorry that Jack's condition is worsening and I hope that your Vet will help you with the difficult decisions ahead. These links may be useful

https://rabbit.org/end-of-life/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/quality-of-life.html

I’m sorry his condition is worsening:cry: I’m afraid I wouldn’t have an X-ray done, as JJ said, it wouldn’t change his treatment options. It’s a very hard situation to be in and I find I ‘know’ when a beloved pet has had enough. Sometimes I find it helpful to ask what the vet would do if it were his/her pet.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Oh Lynn I am so very sorry you're in this position with Jack :(

What does your gut instinct tell you to do? Even if it's fluid build up, there is still the mass that's making life uncomfortable for him. It's so difficult to know what to do, and whether it's fluid or a mass on his lungs.

Has your vet given you any indication? He may be able to sound the lungs and tell whether the mass is fluid or a tumour growth.

I've found the info on this thread below useful, in case it helps you at all.
My thoughts are with you xx

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/quality-of-life.html

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?270142-Quality-of-Life

I was in a similar position last week and also posted for advice. In the end though, you do know the right time [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, sorry it took me awhile to respond back. Thank you very much for everyone's thoughts and for the links. Jack is still here and there hasn't been any changes to report. I'm leaning now towards having him put to sleep before any crisis happens. But he's not quite there yet. I hope that I'm not making a mistake by waiting a bit longer. He is still eating, interested in life, going out in the pen, but he is fatigued more and sleeps a lot. I'll keep everyone posted. And thank you again. I couldn't respond earlier as I was too emotional. This is a rollercoaster ride. ☹

Hi everyone, sorry it took me awhile to respond back. Thank you very much for everyone's thoughts and for the links. Jack is still here and there hasn't been any changes to report. I'm leaning now towards having him put to sleep before any crisis happens. But he's not quite there yet. I hope that I'm not making a mistake by waiting a bit longer. He is still eating, interested in life, going out in the pen, but he is fatigued more and sleeps a lot. I'll keep everyone posted. And thank you again. I couldn't respond earlier as I was too emotional. This is a rollercoaster ride. ☹

I am sure that you will do whatever is best for Jack. I know how emotionally draining it is to care for a terminally ill Rabbit and to be constantly questioning ourselves about when it is the time to let them go. I hope that you have a trusted Vet who can support you as that can make a tremendous amount of difference.

I hope that Jack can remain in good spirits for as long as possible x

Thinking of you and sending hugs.

This certainly is an emotional roller coaster.
I know you'll do the best for Jack, as you have all along xx

I'm completely and utterly confused. I went to see Jack and he wasn't even responding to me. He was laying down in the litterbox with his eyes open. He didn't even stir when I opened the door to the pen and went inside. So I went and got his treats and then he did get up to get one. Then went back to sleep. Later he was straining to go to the bathroom, finally went. He then had the hardest time trying to get comfortable. I also notice he stretches a lot more than normal. I wonder does he have pain. Like I said earlier his breathing is also faster. And he does more sighing.

Last night I spoke to the Vet and I felt talked out of putting Jack down. So I called back today and see if he can get in. I thought I want to bring him in so he can listen to his breathing and give me some kind of an idea of what is happening. I do feel a bit fobbed off tbh. I feel totally helpless and I feel I should let him go sooner in peace rather than later when a crisis hits. Am I being cruel to think this way?

I'm completely and utterly confused. I went to see Jack and he wasn't even responding to me. He was laying down in the litterbox with his eyes open. He didn't even stir when I opened the door to the pen and went inside. So I went and got his treats and then he did get up to get one. Then went back to sleep. Later he was straining to go to the bathroom, finally went. He then had the hardest time trying to get comfortable. I also notice he stretches a lot more than normal. I wonder does he have pain. Like I said earlier his breathing is also faster. And he does more sighing.

Last night I spoke to the Vet and I felt talked out of putting Jack down. So I called back today and see if he can get in. I thought I want to bring him in so he can listen to his breathing and give me some kind of an idea of what is happening. I do feel a bit fobbed off tbh. I feel totally helpless and I feel I should let him go sooner in peace rather than later when a crisis hits. Am I being cruel to think this way?

No you're being kind to think this way. You know Jack better than anyone & to me it sounds like you think his time has come :( I know you'll be a better judge than his vet no matter how good they are, you see him every day, you know his habits, you are intune with his needs. Although people always say you'll know when the time is right this hasn't always been the case for me. My last bunny I had PTS I tortured myself with was it too soon, too late..my oH said that I couldn't choose which probably meant I got it about right. If you think Jack is not coping so well I'd be tempted to allow him the dignity of a peaceful passing sooner rather than later. These things are never easy. Thinking of you xx

I have an appoint,ent at 715pm tonight. I'm in Canada, that's why the time seems off. Jack had moments where he looked good today but they are fleeting and I saw he is wobbly and exhausted. He looks uncomfortable. I think it is time to say goodbye. I feel so guilty though and sick about it all.

I have an appoint,ent at 715pm tonight. I'm in Canada, that's why the time seems off. Jack had moments where he looked good today but they are fleeting and I saw he is wobbly and exhausted. He looks uncomfortable. I think it is time to say goodbye. I feel so guilty though and sick about it all.

The decision to let him go, when made, will be your final act of love and dedication to your dear friend. It is the very least selfish act for you, it takes great courage and selflessness.

Wishing Jack peace and for you the strength to bear the inevitable heartbreak xx

Thinking of you and Jack xx
I had to make this decision on Wednesday for the exact same problem :(

Hi everyone, thank you so very much for all your kind words. And for helping me come to this decision. It is so helpful to discuss this wirh people who understand. Jack was part of my family and so incredibly dear to me. My house feels so small and quiet now. He has left a big hole.

When I took him in the Vet was immediately shocked by the size of the tumour and how depressed Jack was. He also felt it was time to let him go. My other rabbit, Henri, came too as they were so bonded. It was peaceful and so very quick at the end. I felt like my heart would explode as it was so very, very painful to say goodbye.

When Jack had passed I got Henri out of her carrier and brought her over to see what had happened. I hope she understands that Jack passed away. I didn't want her to continue looking for him everyday and being confused. She was very quiet when she saw him and subdued.

She hasn't been herself since we've come back home. She is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom. But she isn't her usual happy self. She seems very sad. And she also is scared. But she seems to find comfort when I am there. She will sit right near me. Usually she is high energy and zooms around full speed doing binkys. But I believe she is grieving. Poor little girl. I feel so very sad for her.

Back