• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Making a Decision about Jack

I’m so sorry you had to say goodbye to Jack :cry: he is at peace now. Thinking of you and Henri xx

I'm pleased Jacks passing was peaceful & that you had peace of mind that you made the decision at the right time. Poor Henri :( some bunnies do grieve badly. I really hope she isn't sad for much longer & that you are able to comfort each other. Coping with a rabbits grief is so difficult. Hugs for you & nose rubs for your girl xx

You have been incredibly brave and selfless, I know how heartbroken you must be feeling. This is probably exacerbated by seeing Henri grieving. I do hope that she will gradually come to terms with her loss.

I found this poem a little while ago and I thought I'd share it here now :

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.
But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.
So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.
The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.
That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.
Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.
You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.
So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.
Cut the ties that hold me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady Rabbit,
My pain and struggle done.
And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.
I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young Rabbit once again.

Adapted from a poem copyrighted to Karen Clouston 1997

Very sorry to hear you lost your bunny to a tumour aswell :( I hope Henri starts to feel more like herself soon. Sleep tight Jack xxx

I am so very sorry :cry: Sending you lots of love and hugs.

I'm sorry that Henri has not been herself. I have had recent experience of a rabbit feeling, as you have described it, scared, after losing a bonded partner. I think that in addition to feeling sad that their partner is no longer there, they do receive a lot of confidence in knowing that there is another rabbit there. I guess it is another set of eyes and ears to watch for danger. I hope she adjusts to her new situation.

So very sorry, for you and Henri. Hope that you can both take comfort in each other. R.I.P. little bunny xx

I'm so sorry. You made the kindest and most difficult decision thinking of your bunny. RIP Jack xxxx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Really sorry to hear your news, you did the right thing at a really difficult time. All the best to you and Henri.

I'm so sorry that you've had to make this decision for Jack - but it is your last act of kindness to him.:cry:
Sleep tight Jack.

Back