• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a third rabbit

Lagomorphine

Warren Scout
Well, I have acquired a third rabbit, officially "on loan".

I have had Willow (F) and Charlie (M) since April and May last year, after five months they finally accepted each other and became a bonded pair. Today Harvey (M) arrived. He was kept in a cage of about 1 foot x 2 foot, so I offered to take him on holiday. Currently he is in quarantine, in a hutch with a permanently attached run. As Willow and Charlie are allowed free range in the garden, they soon discovered him.

The situation at the moment, day 1:

(a) Harvey is ecstatic. He is overwhelmed by the extra space he's got, jumping and binkying. He's a happy bunny.

(b) Charlie is annoyed. He kept circling around Harvey's run, trying to provoke him through the wire mesh. He's not a particularly happy bunny. I suspect he is trying to be protective of Willow and his status as the husbun.

(c) Strangely, Willow is not too bothered. Strangely because she is dominant in the relationship and Charlie tends to follow her. Also, she is quite a diva.

I hope it will work out one way or another.

Aww Harvey, are you going to try and convince his owners to let you have him permanently? How long do you have him for?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I really hope that Harvey will be allowed to stay with you. I had a very similar situation a few years ago, I took in a ‘friends’ rabbit for holiday, but sadly even though they didn’t seem bothered about their rabbit, and I had to clip his claws taking about a cm off, and he was going back to a 3ft hutch with no run, from a double hutch, runaround and run at mine, when I asked if they would like me to take him on, they said that they couldn’t possibly give him up. And I had to give him back :cry:

Sorry about the rant :oops:

Aww Harvey, are you going to try and convince his owners to let you have him permanently? How long do you have him for?

I don't know. Nothing is official. It's quite a story. He was kept on a farm but escaped from his hutch and impregnated a female rabbit, so the farm ended up with five extra rabbits. Afterwards I offered to take him to the vet to have him neutered and paid for it too. I am not sure how much they will want him back. I will try to arrange the "loan" to be permanent.

After spending the morning in his hutch he came down to explore his run and spent several hours looking at the events in the garden. Charlie and Willow seem less bothered about him. He seemed quite laid back and did more binkying.

Back