Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Need advice before getting a bunny please. fox proof enclosure.

  1. #1
    New Kit
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    lincolnshire
    Posts
    1

    Default Need advice before getting a bunny please. fox proof enclosure.

    hello all i have a 6x13ft run im planning to put a hutch inside it. but i have a dilemma... we live in the countryside so have foxes the pen i have is only chicken wire so will this stronger wire be any good to recover the enclosure with??

    https://www.meshdirect.co.uk/wire-me...ox-protection/

    this is the run i already have. https://www.gardenlife.biz/2m-x-4m-c...13ft-139-p.asp


    any advice is much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,776

    Default

    Hi, welcome to the forum and well done for doing your research before getting your rabbit

    I think the recommended wire for outside enclosures is 16g weldmesh with small size holes. Don't forget also that underneath and also on top of the run will need protection. Foxes can be a real problem and they can be very persistent.

    We live in a rural area also, so have the same problem. We got our weldmesh from someone on ebay and I think others have found some good quality weldmesh in Wilkinsons.
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

  3. #3
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I found out recently that 1x1 inch holes are not predator proof, as weasels can get through it!
    ~Bandit Mist, Sealy Calkin, Schatje-Oren Turin, Pandora Bea, Mattie Harigen and Bailey Brychan~

  4. #4
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum and well done for doing your research before getting your rabbit

    I think the recommended wire for outside enclosures is 16g weldmesh with small size holes. Don't forget also that underneath and also on top of the run will need protection. Foxes can be a real problem and they can be very persistent.

    We live in a rural area also, so have the same problem. We got our weldmesh from someone on ebay and I think others have found some good quality weldmesh in Wilkinsons.
    This I got mine from amazon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
    I found out recently that 1x1 inch holes are not predator proof, as weasels can get through it!
    Yes, plus cats etc can paw and claw through it.

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    7,753

    Default

    I use 1"x1/2" holes maximum, as I find it easier to manipulate than the 1/2"x1/2". It's really easy to attach with a heavy duty staple gun but to make it fox proof I'd do both sides of the walls and top unless you can get a REALLY good staple in, in which cae the inside is generally better as it's harder for foxes to pull off.

    Rats will also come in with 1"x1" holes (reminded as I saw a rat on my low garden wall today: canalside living has its drawbacks )
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    I use 1"x1/2" holes maximum, as I find it easier to manipulate than the 1/2"x1/2". It's really easy to attach with a heavy duty staple gun but to make it fox proof I'd do both sides of the walls and top unless you can get a REALLY good staple in, in which cae the inside is generally better as it's harder for foxes to pull off.

    Rats will also come in with 1"x1" holes (reminded as I saw a rat on my low garden wall today: canalside living has its drawbacks )
    Also has the additional benefit that rabbits can't get to the wood so easily to nibble
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •