• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice before getting a bunny please. fox proof enclosure.

Hi, welcome to the forum and well done for doing your research before getting your rabbit :D

I think the recommended wire for outside enclosures is 16g weldmesh with small size holes. Don't forget also that underneath and also on top of the run will need protection. Foxes can be a real problem and they can be very persistent.

We live in a rural area also, so have the same problem. We got our weldmesh from someone on ebay and I think others have found some good quality weldmesh in Wilkinsons.

I found out recently that 1x1 inch holes are not predator proof, as weasels can get through it!

Hi, welcome to the forum and well done for doing your research before getting your rabbit :D

I think the recommended wire for outside enclosures is 16g weldmesh with small size holes. Don't forget also that underneath and also on top of the run will need protection. Foxes can be a real problem and they can be very persistent.

We live in a rural area also, so have the same problem. We got our weldmesh from someone on ebay and I think others have found some good quality weldmesh in Wilkinsons.

This :thumb: I got mine from amazon.

I found out recently that 1x1 inch holes are not predator proof, as weasels can get through it!

Yes, plus cats etc can paw and claw through it.

I use 1"x1/2" holes maximum, as I find it easier to manipulate than the 1/2"x1/2". It's really easy to attach with a heavy duty staple gun but to make it fox proof I'd do both sides of the walls and top unless you can get a REALLY good staple in, in which cae the inside is generally better as it's harder for foxes to pull off.

Rats will also come in with 1"x1" holes (reminded as I saw a rat on my low garden wall today: canalside living has its drawbacks :))

I use 1"x1/2" holes maximum, as I find it easier to manipulate than the 1/2"x1/2". It's really easy to attach with a heavy duty staple gun but to make it fox proof I'd do both sides of the walls and top unless you can get a REALLY good staple in, in which cae the inside is generally better as it's harder for foxes to pull off.

Rats will also come in with 1"x1" holes (reminded as I saw a rat on my low garden wall today: canalside living has its drawbacks :))

Also has the additional benefit that rabbits can't get to the wood so easily to nibble :thumb:

Back