• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucus in Pooh

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
The lady who took Smudge off me has just messaged me asking if he ever had mucus in his pooh. I said no although his poohs were tiny when I got him which I put down to change in his life and the fact he didn't eat hay. Anyway, I have told her that it is a sign of inflammation in his GI tract. I think this is correct - what else could I tell her?

The lady who took Smudge off me has just messaged me asking if he ever had mucus in his pooh. I said no although his poohs were tiny when I got him which I put down to change in his life and the fact he didn't eat hay. Anyway, I have told her that it is a sign of inflammation in his GI tract. I think this is correct - what else could I tell her?

Mucus in poo can indicate inflammation within the GI tract. The inflammation may be due to infection or to a problem with gut motility. If Smudge is still not eating hay his gut motility may well be reduced. I would advise the lady to take Smudge to the Vet tomorrow, along with a sample of the poo/mucous. If Smudge is unwell within himself then obviously she needs to seek Veterinary attention tonight.

Some additional information :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Yes you are correct, it is a sign of inflammation in the gut.

You could ask her if anything resembles the photos in this article?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Thank you Jane. She is transferring all her rabbits to this new Vet! She lives closer than I do.

She has put some photos on her message and they look more or less like the post stasis poohs. She is not able to access the Medirabbit site. It comes up "not allowed!. Before I had him he lived alone all his life in a hutch/run. The previous owner told me that they could put his food into the hutch and he quite often wouldn't wake up to eat it! The person who has him now asked me if she could adopt him to go with her 10 yr bereaved female. So I let her have him as he thumped a lot and I was worried about what the neighbours were thinking. She has spent quite a bit on him - he has been tested for\Coccidia and parasites and has had medication for both. He has been doing well recently but this episode has just flared up. Hopefully the new Rabbit savvy vet on the Island will be able to help him.

She has put some photos on her message and they look more or less like the post stasis poohs. She is not able to access the Medirabbit site. It comes up "not allowed!. Before I had him he lived alone all his life in a hutch/run. The previous owner told me that they could put his food into the hutch and he quite often wouldn't wake up to eat it! The person who has him now asked me if she could adopt him to go with her 10 yr bereaved female. So I let her have him as he thumped a lot and I was worried about what the neighbours were thinking. She has spent quite a bit on him - he has been tested for\Coccidia and parasites and has had medication for both. He has been doing well recently but this episode has just flared up. Hopefully the new Rabbit savvy vet on the Island will be able to help him.

Yes, really good that you have a savvy vet :)

I found this article, I don't know whether it will help at all?

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Back