• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny rear checks

Griffski

Warren Scout
Hi - I've been reading advice re 2 checks per day during fly strike season and wondered how you all managed this.

My 3 year old (rescue) bunnies are compliant once caught but they are clearly stressed by the whole process (pre-catch to post handling) and, out of respect, I limit this to vet visits..
however, I am horrified by the prospect of fly strike and one of mine is potentially at greater risk due to intermittent digestive issues ...

Any tips/tricks to make this process feasible on a daily basis ?

thanks..

Last edited:
Have you tried wrapping them up in a towel like a burrito, it can help calm bunnies not used too handling

It can be very stressful for both you and bun, but the more you do it, the better and more confident you get, and whilst they may never like it, they do sort of get used to it.

Try offering a favourite treat after - they may mind less... :)

It is really, really important to check - we lost our beautiful Bella to flystrike a few days ago and it is shocking how quickly it can happen. I’d read it was ‘fast’ but nothing could have prepared us for it. Knowing what I know now, a few moments of stress is better than bun suffering flystrike...

Thanks for taking the time to response at this tough time Beau Belle - I was shocked by your experience and am so sorry for your loss.

I am persevering - it was better today - token sprint away then he let me lift and examine him and the sulk period was shorter .. so i'm a bit more hopeful that checks will be possible with them. Treat is a great idea once they get a bit more used to it.. thanks !

Last edited:
Thanks mini lop 1 - i'll research that - they're actually ok during the exam but that might be useful for other treatments - thanks.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. None of my love!y rabbits are keen on being caught and handled so it is encouraging to hear that practice makes if not perfect, at least bearable!

Back