• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chest Infection - winter coming!

Mogs

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

It's that time of year again and I have just noticed that Bubbles is again looking a bit under the weather - her eyes don't sparkle and she doesn't Knock me out the way to get to her food bowl :lol:

The chest infection is on its way - as soon as the weather turns damp and cold it rears it's ugly head and I'm off to the vets to get the anti biotics before it really gets hold of her.

For the last 2 years she has had this problem once or twice during the winter - she's 7 years old now and lives in a delux hutch and run that cost me over £250 and she is kept very warm and dry inside.

Can anyone suggest anything that might help to stop her getting this - she is the only one out of all my bunnies (6 total )that has this problem !

Any suggestion will be very appreciated

Thanks

Mogs

Hi there,

The commonest reason for this is Pasteurella (a bacteria).

Unfortunately, if this is what it is, you will not be able to prevent any flare-ups, only treat them with antibiotics & decongestant as & when they occur throughout the rabbit's life, providing of course, that the rabbit is not suffering greatly.

Hygiene precautions are essential to avoid further spread to unaffected rabbits & the others should be seen to first at feeding time, etc. Housing (if housed near the others at all) should be a minimum of 2 metres apart.

Thanks Cheryl.

But thank good it's not pasteurella, she's fine this morning she's had a good dose of anti biotics yesterday and she will have a shot on Monday.

I nearly got killed in the rush as I was giving her breakfast this morning.
I think she just has this weakness, she must have been a heavy smoker in a previous life :lol: :lol:

Mogs

I was just wondering whether it might be worth taking her indoors now to keep her at room temperature. As she is an older bun, she might not be able to tolerate the cold as much anymore as a younger bunny.

Vera

Hi,

That's the plan when the weather gets colder she goes in the garage. but if we have the really bad weather they are expecting she will move indoors with her partner.

The only problem once she is in she sill have to stay in till spring, which she will not like.

I asked the vet if he thought any vitamins would do her good but he said as long as she is on a good diet, which she is that should be enough.

Perhaps I should get her a thermal vest :lol: :lol:

Mogs

Hi Mogs,

Not being intrusive but how do you know its not Pasteurella?

Antibiotics clear the symptoms wonderfully but not the infectious element that will always remain. In fact thats why a lot of owners feel that their rabbit does not have it.

Of course it could be a different bacteria, but the one mentioned is commonest & at the end of the day if your rabbit is happy & the antibiotics get him/her by, then it makes little difference as long as not near other rabbits (as you would not want two bunnies with the same problem :wink:)

Do you see what i mean?
:)

Hmmm... Without a swab test I don't know how you can be sure it isn't Pasteurella.

I wonder if it might be worth investing in having some tests done (better done while she is actually ill as she will be shedding whatever it is). If your vet thinks no, then I would seek advice from another rabbit vet.

It could be well worth knowing what's causing this, as some pathogens can be fully cleared, and also some are better tackled by specific antibiotics.

Also note that if it is a virus, that can't be cured by antibiotics anyway... but they are usually given to make sure nothing bacterial such as Pasteurella takes advantage of the lowered immune system and moves in to make matters worse.

Just a few ideas.... and if this is a recurring thing, it's worth looking into further I think.

Mogs said:
Hi,

That's the plan when the weather gets colder she goes in the garage. but if we have the really bad weather they are expecting she will move indoors with her partner.

The only problem once she is in she sill have to stay in till spring, which she will not like.

I asked the vet if he thought any vitamins would do her good but he said as long as she is on a good diet, which she is that should be enough.

Perhaps I should get her a thermal vest :lol: :lol:

Mogs

Your rabbit has a problem. I would suggest that you get it to a vet ASAP and express your concerns to them then take it from there.

Mogs said:
she's fine this morning she's had a good dose of anti biotics yesterday and she will have a shot on Monday.
Mogs

Bob I think she does take the rabbit to the vet but they haven't been able to diagnose a specific cause.

Perhaps a second opinion should be sought and some swabs taken just to be sure though as your vets may have missed something.

I would consider making your rabbit a complete house rabbit as she may benefit from a consistant temperature now she is older - however if you are having building works your house may be dusty and this may make the situation worse. I have to be careful with Zeus as he sometimes gets a weepy eye if his area is not kept dust free (we are doing up our house atm hence the seemingly random reference to building works).

Caz

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I don't have access to a computer at weekends :(

She has had this for the last two winters, it flares up and she gets a crackerly chest, I can now spot it as soon as it starts and take her to the vets. She only gets it when it is damp and cold and it clears up with anti biotics.

I will check with the vet again this evening when I take her for her second jab about pasterella. Her partner Squeak has never had any problems and they have been together for 4 years. I'm trying not to bring them in the garage or indoors as Squeak has a teeth problem and he was having to have his molars done every 7 weeks. He is now up to 30 weeks!!!! and still no problem due to the fact that he has to eat grass only during the day. It's a bit like solving one problem and creating another!

Bubbles is fine this morning eating and running round and I will watch her very closely.

Thanks for all your concerns, it has me foxed I will let you know any further outcomes

Thanks

Mogs

Back