Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on helping an underweight bun gain weight

So just to update quickly, Teddy had his vaccinations today and he's dropped a bit of weight and is down to 1.75kg (he was 1.8 ). I don't know if this is normal fluctuation or perhaps a sign of something else going on. The vet was happy with his teeth and everything else. Weirdly, in recent days I'd become convinced he'd put weight on but it must've been wishful thinking!

I've been feeding Fibafirst when I can (he's not a huge fan so nibbles at it throughout the day). He LOVES the readigrass I bought so am giving them both a bit of that every day. I haven't bought any junior pellets yet as I also bought him some joint support tablets (oxbow), so all of that coupled with the vaccinations has made for an expensive month so far!

I did get a pouch of banana flavoured baby food, I'm away this weekend but plan to give him some when I get back and see what he thinks.

I don't know how much a rabbit's weight fluctuates (if at all) or if I'm panicking. I know we have only been using Fibafirst and readigrass for a week at most so I wasn't expecting miracles, I was just surprised he'd lost a bit. If the baby food doesn't work, then we'll try junior nuggets but then I'm all out of ideas! I imagine that if none of that works then there must be an underlying issue so of course I'll take him to the vet, but I'm hoping something will help.

Wise Old Thumper

I wouldn't get despondent about the difference between 1.8kg and 1.75kg. It's really so minimal and could have been due to causes other than an actual weight loss. Was the weight recorded at the same time of day each time? Was it recorded on the same scales? It really could have been the fact that Teddy had a big wee just before being weighed!

It's interesting that he's not keen on Fibafirst, as I find that one of my rabbits has times when he'll just sniff it and then completely ignore it and then a month or so later will positively beg for it It's great that he's a fan of the Readigrass though.

As you say, it's only been a week and my experience is that changing weight in a rabbit, either up or down, takes time and to be honest this is also the best way for the rabbit.

It's wonderful that the vet was pleased with him and I would really be happy with the situation if I were you
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was panicking over nothing, I definitely worry about him more than your average bun! I'm hoping he likes the baby food, I got banana flavour as he loves a bit of banana lol

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Mum to Lilac and Teddy, a little head tilt bun

Aw, he sounds like a little darling

Blossom lost lots of weight a few months back (with no obvious cause) so we started topping her up with a few junior pellets (Science Selective, as she has the adult version) and she's a perfect weight now and doing really well.

Oh that and moving her inside to our bedroom, where she's made herself right at home (a whole other thread) x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

Duplicate

Interesting. I need to try and not focus on the figures so much I think, he's happy, he's eating, he's mobile, and his body condition is better than it's been since he got ill. Need to look at the positives. Obviously weight loss isn't ideal, but hopefully it was just a case of doing a big wee or the fact he hadn't had his veg yet when he was weighed!