• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you feed 'the Greens'?

:love: I'm pleased they like it. Nom nom nom. It takes a lot of work getting it crispy as you have to remove every vein. They seem to appreciate my efforts though & its in plentiful supply here. Always a favourite, fresh or dried
I like to sit in the quiet and listen to the crunches

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

8am I get up and give them fresh hay which leads to much boinging around.

9am OH gets up and gives them pellets (also just found out he's been sneakily giving them dried forage too!) No wonder he's favourite!!!!

6pm 2nd portion of pellets

7pm-10.30pm Some delicious dried forage. Most of the time it's hidden somewhere or buried in hay so they have to find it... if they are super lucky they get a treat like dandelion root or dried carrot but only if I'm teaching them tricks! Haha

Oh and also a handful of scrummy oat hay

11pm 3rd portion of pellets and more fresh hay.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Where do those tinies put three portions of pellets in a day? :shock::lol:

Do the Lord and Lady eat no fresh greens/forage?

I'm intrigued by peoples' feeding schedules and thanks so much to everyone for contributing :wave:

8.30- 9.30 am - Big batch of hay
Maybe a sprinkle of dried dandelion mix and more hay if they are awake before pellet time (they usually sleep 10-2.30)
3.30pm - Pellets
9pm - Big batch of hay
10.30pm - Small amount of kale and not every day. Cookie the occasional small chunk of carrot.
11pm - Pellets and maybe a little more hay where I make them a little nest they like to sit in the middle of :oops:

Mine have very little fresh food (Lola especially is a bad tummy bun) and I feed hay as the priority so they choose hay before they get the chance of pellets filling them up. While its been hot though they've had far more soaked kale during the day to keep cool/hydrated though. Their tummies have mostly handled it! Lola will try her luck and sit squished up to her food bowl when it's empty but I don't give in and give her more hay instead. She used to shred newspaper and fill it or go to the toilet in it when it was empty :lol:

Do they tolerate grass at all?

Mine sit in the food bowl, which is quite big so they get their whole selves into it.
Stops anyone else getting to it :roll:

I tend to alternate. It's either pellets for breakfast, fresh for tea, or the other way around. Sometimes they may get a treat during the day, sometimes not. Hay is usually topped up in huge quantities in the evening and/or when cleaning out. Readigrass gets scattered in runs (or as a hay topper for the indoor guys) about once a fortnight.

Breakfast so late?! ;)

I have buns who won't look at the hay unless it's pristinely fresh. Bit of a joke - fresh hay? It's the same out of the box as in their bowls but they are fussy f@rts and need more every couple of hours :roll:

I have buns who won't look at the hay unless it's pristinely fresh. Bit of a joke - fresh hay? It's the same out of the box as in their bowls but they are fussy f@rts and need more every couple of hours :roll:

But squashed hay doesn’t taste right. If you fluff it up so it looks like fresh hay it tastes perfect again!

Do they tolerate grass at all?

Mine sit in the food bowl, which is quite big so they get their whole selves into it.
Stops anyone else getting to it :roll:

I haven't tried them with it for ages. We dug our back garden up and then hit problems with pipes/cables so haven't returfed it and I don't trust the grass out the front as ours isn't fenced off and dogs get walked over it or birds poop on it. Mind you it's just brown right now!

After I posted this I went out and Lola was sat squished between her bowls and had a bad tummy, presumably from messing up her routine yesterday. Typical!

Where do those tinies put three portions of pellets in a day? :shock:[emoji38]

Do the Lord and Lady eat no fresh greens/forage?

I'm intrigued by peoples' feeding schedules and thanks so much to everyone for contributing :wave:
They are very greedy for teeny buns. They only get 10g in each portion. We find it better to give three small portions otherwise they stuff It all in and get poorly tums!

Lord and Lady Hoppinsworth have no fresh greens currently. They used to get veg but Lord Archie wasn't fussed and Lady Pip then started her monthly gi stasis issues. So we stopped feeding it. I've been too scared to re try it.

When we get in our new house I want to grow them some forage, and we are hoping to let them visit the garden there too!

There's no where near my current house where I could forage and work still has mixy buns so can't forage there either.

Archie did get his first fresh raspberry last week. Well he also ate Pippin's too!

Vegetables in the morning, pellets in the evening. Fresh hay if of course available all day, plus free range foraging in the garden whenever somebody is at home to keep an eye on them - but right now from about 9 am to 4 pm they are very inactive, sleeping in the shadiest, coolest part of their run.

I haven't tried them with it for ages. We dug our back garden up and then hit problems with pipes/cables so haven't returfed it and I don't trust the grass out the front as ours isn't fenced off and dogs get walked over it or birds poop on it. Mind you it's just brown right now!

After I posted this I went out and Lola was sat squished between her bowls and had a bad tummy, presumably from messing up her routine yesterday. Typical!

Oh no, poor Lola! And poor you!

They are very greedy for teeny buns. They only get 10g in each portion. We find it better to give three small portions otherwise they stuff It all in and get poorly tums!

Lord and Lady Hoppinsworth have no fresh greens currently. They used to get veg but Lord Archie wasn't fussed and Lady Pip then started her monthly gi stasis issues. So we stopped feeding it. I've been too scared to re try it.

When we get in our new house I want to grow them some forage, and we are hoping to let them visit the garden there too!

There's no where near my current house where I could forage and work still has mixy buns so can't forage there either.

Archie did get his first fresh raspberry last week. Well he also ate Pippin's too!

When are you planning to move, Merv?

I know that little buns like Nethies have a fast metabolism and so need extra helpings.
Well that's what my little Nethie tells me anyway ;)

3 of mine are greedy rexes, which helps, but all are good at eating hay all day.

Of course, some believe it is at its very best just when you think they're done with it and are about to dispose of it. :roll:

Vegetables in the morning, pellets in the evening. Fresh hay if of course available all day, plus free range foraging in the garden whenever somebody is at home to keep an eye on them - but right now from about 9 am to 4 pm they are very inactive, sleeping in the shadiest, coolest part of their run.

Thanks Lagomorphine :)

Indoor rabbits get hay forage and a few bits of veg around 7.30am when the guinea pigs whistle (they hear me coming downstairs and the chorus begins).

2uqj8u1.jpg

iw7wip.jpg

G.pigs get some too natch.

After walking the dogs I give the outdoor rabbits some chopped veg, some forage and top up their hay.

2nkpbb8.jpg

Indoor rabbits gets odd bits and pieces of veg and forage all day thanks to the whistlingtons!

Everyone gets pellets and hay at night.

Last edited:
When are you planning to move, Merv?

I know that little buns like Nethies have a fast metabolism and so need extra helpings.
Well that's what my little Nethie tells me anyway ;)
Yep thats what my Nethies say too. They said they burn more so can eat more. Lol.

Moving by the end of August. Will do a seperate post cos I need moving bun help.

Indoor rabbits get hay forage and a few bits of veg around 7.30am when the guinea pigs whistle (they hear me coming downstairs and the chorus begins).

2uqj8u1.jpg

iw7wip.jpg

G.pigs get some too natch.

After walking the dogs I give the outdoor rabbits some chopped veg, some forage and top up their hay.

2nkpbb8.jpg

Indoor rabbits gets odd bits and pieces of veg and forage all day thanks to the whistlingtons!

Everyone gets pellets and hay at night.

I love your photos! And the guineas being whistlingtons :lol:

Yep thats what my Nethies say too. They said they burn more so can eat more. Lol.

Moving by the end of August. Will do a seperate post cos I need moving bun help.

Oooh not long now!

Are you changing jobs too?

as soon as I wake up, their hay is topped up with forage scattered in. Luna often runs to the place where her metacam is kept, we take out meds at the same time. that way I remember for myself, and for her!! for them, their hay is topped up every few hours, and forage is always added in. they don't have a set time so to speak for forage, its just there.

morning: small share of my "breakfast". I am not a good breakfast eater, so them pestering me now we are in that routine is good. I often eat some fruit & plain cereal/granola, so they get a nibble of the fruit, or a small share of my smoothie if they can.

afternoon: usually a handful of pellet is thrown around the pen for a fun activity.

evening: pellet is given, veggies are given, and so are forced goodnight cuddles :D :lol:

Back