• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When do you feed 'the Greens'?

8am breakfast - fresh forage
8am - 10am - litter change so fresh hay with dried forage mixed in
12 noon fresh forage
4pm -5.30 fresh forage
8pm fresh forage
11pm fresh forage
Midnight - nuggets & hay top up
I must admit I do dish out forage in between meal times too :D basically every time I go by bunny room.

The only problem with set dinner times Is that bunnies really cause havoc when your late.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

8.30- 9.30 am - Big batch of hay
Maybe a sprinkle of dried dandelion mix and more hay if they are awake before pellet time (they usually sleep 10-2.30)
3.30pm - Pellets
9pm - Big batch of hay
10.30pm - Small amount of kale and not every day. Cookie the occasional small chunk of carrot.
11pm - Pellets and maybe a little more hay where I make them a little nest they like to sit in the middle of :oops:

Mine have very little fresh food (Lola especially is a bad tummy bun) and I feed hay as the priority so they choose hay before they get the chance of pellets filling them up. While its been hot though they've had far more soaked kale during the day to keep cool/hydrated though. Their tummies have mostly handled it! Lola will try her luck and sit squished up to her food bowl when it's empty but I don't give in and give her more hay instead. She used to shred newspaper and fill it or go to the toilet in it when it was empty :lol:

I must admit I do dish out forage in between meal times too :D basically every time I go by bunny room.

The only problem with set dinner times Is that bunnies really cause havoc when your late.

Tell me about it, they don't like me having a lie in & trippy up time becomes particularly dangerous . Mine aren't strict times really although we do try to stick to 8am breakfast & nuggets are 95% of the time a midnight thing

Mine get a hand fed fenugreek crunchie before I go to work so I know they’re eating and fresh hay. They know the routine and when they see the back door open, do excited circuits of the run and then run into the shed when they see me and are waiting at the inner door ready to tumble out for their treat.
Veggies/forage when I get in from work or when I give them their pellets about 6pm. Willow is normally sat on the step in the run watching for me at tea time and again they both go flying into the shed for their pellets and fresh hay tea.
Mum visits on a Saturday morning to clean out the bunnies (she claims that this is to help me because I have a bad neck, but we both know that really she just loves interacting with them). I don’t know if the buns recognise her or the black bin bag she carries, but they know the routine. When they see her come out of the back door, they run up to the door into the run and have their paws up on it so they practically fall out when she opens it and gives them both a fenugreek crunchie (in addition to their breakfast one). This means that they’re occupied in the run for a minute whilst she nips into the shed and shuts the door into the run , so she can sweep out the shed without them “helping”.
They definitely know their routine and get grumpy if like today, I’ve had a lie in and so their breakfast is late. They still ran in for breakfast, but then both decided to eat it on the shed floor on my side and both gave me the bunny bums!

Tell me about it, they don't like me having a lie in & trippy up time becomes particularly dangerous . Mine aren't strict times really although we do try to stick to 8am breakfast & nuggets are 95% of the time a midnight thing
Why nuggets at midnight? Are they gremlin bunnies?

Open for breakfast 6.30am:
Hay, forage, meds

Lunch service 12.30pm:
Plantain, fresh noms

Dinner service 7-8pm:
Hay, forage

Love this hahaha!! I do feel like a waiter for pets most days lol!

We have pellets for breakfast and all day access to hay and forage, dinner time for everyone is 6pm and bunnies have veggies.
At bedtime 10pm ish, they get another small hand of pellets just because they won’t go to bed without bribes haha! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember how or why midnight nuggets came about but its a long standing routine they know & are very attached to

My buns sometimes get their supper at 1am :shock:

Don't tell anyone or I'll be down as an irresponsible bun-mom :lol:

Mine have veg and pellets in the morning and then another portion of veg in the evening. I do worry that they have too much veg but they all eat hay and haven’t had any teeth issues (touch wood!)

I tend to alternate. It's either pellets for breakfast, fresh for tea, or the other way around. Sometimes they may get a treat during the day, sometimes not. Hay is usually topped up in huge quantities in the evening and/or when cleaning out. Readigrass gets scattered in runs (or as a hay topper for the indoor guys) about once a fortnight.

Breakfast so late?! ;)

Can I ask about Readigrass? What is it, where can you get it, are there any pros and cons to feeding it? I've heard it mentioned a few times on here but don't know anything about it.

I should also say that if I'm home I can be a bit naughty and give a few treats like dandelion mix or occasionally some carrot peel (very very rarely). Teddy is also a bit underweight because of his health issues so he does regularly get porridge oats, but if Madam sees then she inevitably wants some as well... :roll: I also give them extra bits and bobs if I know I'll be out longer than normal, I always feel guilty even though they have no concept of time! ;)

Last edited:
Can I ask about Readigrass? What is it, where can you get it, are there any pros and cons to feeding it? I've heard it mentioned a few times on here but don't know anything about it.

Its freeze dried grass, most rabbits find it really tasty & it can be a good way of encouraging reluctant hay eaters.Mine like this brand https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friendly-560100-ReadiGrass-1kg-bags/dp/B079VXL4J8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533728630&sr=8-1&keywords=readigrass+for+rabbits

Joeys mum cooked it for us. She's the chef. I am mer table service

:love: I'm pleased they like it. Nom nom nom. It takes a lot of work getting it crispy as you have to remove every vein. They seem to appreciate my efforts though & its in plentiful supply here. Always a favourite, fresh or dried

8am I get up and give them fresh hay which leads to much boinging around.

9am OH gets up and gives them pellets (also just found out he's been sneakily giving them dried forage too!) No wonder he's favourite!!!!

6pm 2nd portion of pellets

7pm-10.30pm Some delicious dried forage. Most of the time it's hidden somewhere or buried in hay so they have to find it... if they are super lucky they get a treat like dandelion root or dried carrot but only if I'm teaching them tricks! Haha

Oh and also a handful of scrummy oat hay

11pm 3rd portion of pellets and more fresh hay.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I should also say that if I'm home I can be a bit naughty and give a few treats like dandelion mix or occasionally some carrot peel (very very rarely). Teddy is also a bit underweight because of his health issues so he does regularly get porridge oats, but if Madam sees then she inevitably wants some as well... :roll: I also give them extra bits and bobs if I know I'll be out longer than normal, I always feel guilty even though they have no concept of time! ;)

Readigrass is great - I get a massive bag from the farm shop where I get my baled hay from. I have always free fed it, as sometimes dental buns will find it easier to eat than hay. Some rabbits produce extra caecotophs on it, but I've never had an issue. For my boarding rabbits I often mix it in with the pellets so they think they are getting a bigger deal than they actually are :)

Some info here - this also gives you a comparison of the various types of hay and grasses:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

Ooooh - how do you know they have no concept of time? I have a special needs bun who comes into the kitchen bang on the hour he gets his extra portions .. that's three times daily. Maybe his stomach tells him, but then his gut must have a very good clock in there :lol:

Back