• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buckys aggression, im sat in a+e waiting for stitches.

Hi, i know a lot of you have helped with my rabbit bucky in the past. I thought we'd turned a corner with his aggressuon. He had stopped growiling at me, wasnt lunging at me. Only thing he was doing was licking me as i walked past. I went to give him his pellets as usual today, he lunged at my ankle snd dug his teeth in for desr life and woundnt let go. My daughter had to drag him off me. Hes done enough damage that my ankle needs stitching. The vets reluctsnt to castrare as his heart was slightly jumping, id hsve it done tomorrow, i cant take much more of this behaviour. Im at the end of my tether with him. Xx

Hi, i know a lot of you have helped with my rabbit bucky in the past. I thought we'd turned a corner with his aggressuon. He had stopped growiling at me, wasnt lunging at me. Only thing he was doing was licking me as i walked past. I went to give him his pellets as usual today, he lunged at my ankle snd dug his teeth in for desr life and woundnt let go. My daughter had to drag him off me. Hes done enough damage that my ankle needs stitching. The vets reluctsnt to castrare as his heart was slightly jumping, id hsve it done tomorrow, i cant take much more of this behaviour. Im at the end of my tether with him. Xx

Oh goodness, I am sorry that you have been badly bitten .

If your Vet feels that Bucky's heart condition makes castration an impossibility then has the Vet suggested a hormone implant ?

Suprelorin

https://uk.virbac.com/suprelorin

So sorry to hear this :(

I really hope your vet can help with Bucky as you can't go on like this :(

Oh that sounds so nasty. I’ve read your posts about how you saved this bunny. It seems you were making such great progress with him too. I hope you can find a solution but I do appreciate it must be very worrying as you have a daughter that you can’t put at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry to hear that Bucky's aggression has caused you so much distress and pain. His not letting go and your needing stitches makes me cringe. Sending you some healing vibes.
With Bucky's future hanging in the balance, I hope you and your vet can come up with a solution to control his hormones.

ef5e76c219152c11f782a896b8dfcc6b.jpg
f7b0a445a3f4e07fc6311afcf46a331a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyine- for your kind words and advice! Id show a few pucs of him, butter wouldnt melt to lookat him! The vets in holiday, will make an appointment as soon as shes back. I got away with 2 stitches, its itching like mad! Hes been sweet as anything since, no aggression at all- i dont understand it. Could anybody tell me how much the implanted would be? Xx

sending good vibes for you. I do hope he continues to behave nicely!!

I've brought home an aggressive bunny myself, Luna. while I never required stitches, it was a long and hard process :( I hope its speedier for you

Thank you everyine- for your kind words and advice! Id show a few pucs of him, butter wouldnt melt to lookat him! The vets in holiday, will make an appointment as soon as shes back. I got away with 2 stitches, its itching like mad! Hes been sweet as anything since, no aggression at all- i dont understand it. Could anybody tell me how much the implanted would be? Xx

The implant itself costs about £60.00. Each implant should last for 6 months. It can take a few weeks after the implant is given for any benefits to be seen

For example from here (price is for TWO implants) :

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Suprelorin-Implant-for-Dogs/c7070/

I hope your wound heals up OK x

From his pics he looks like a cuddly ball of fluff, and not the cause of your requiring assisting to get him off you and two stitches. I am sending you both some positive vibes that his aggressive streak is close to being over. May your injury heal along with your trust in Bucky.

oh dear I hope you feel better soon!!! and I hope you and your vet can come up with something to help Bucky!!

Back