• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are spring greens safe for bunnies?

Graciee

Staff member
Googled said yes, but just wanna be sure [emoji38]
092cb1f7489185a2ebb7dd6e8bb33ee0.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've used them for years with no problems. Just make sure they look green and fresh because they aren't always. Also if you put them in water they sometimes get crispier. I get mine from Sainsbury's.

I've used them for years with no problems. Just make sure they look green and fresh because they aren't always. Also if you put them in water they sometimes get crispier. I get mine from Sainsbury's.
Ah that's great thanks :) gunna see what Atticus and Clementine think of them [emoji7]

Googled said yes, but just wanna be sure [emoji38]
092cb1f7489185a2ebb7dd6e8bb33ee0.jpg

Absolutely! :D
Many people use them as a bunny staple and certainly I do particularly in the winter when there's not so much variety of foraging.

Absolutely! :D
Many people use them as a bunny staple and certainly I do particularly in the winter when there's not so much variety of foraging.
Ah that's interesting, I wonder if I over do kale...

My staple bunny veg is kale, mixed bag of rocket, watercress and spinach, and tenderstem broccoli - and herbs from garden

The amount of kale is quite high though not sure if it's rich in something bad? Got a feeling it is, maybe I'll feed less kale and switch for more of this.

Ah that's interesting, I wonder if I over do kale...

My staple bunny veg is kale, mixed bag of rocket, watercress and spinach, and tenderstem broccoli - and herbs from garden

The amount of kale is quite high though not sure if it's rich in something bad? Got a feeling it is, maybe I'll feed less kale and switch for more of this.

Kale has a lot of calcium in it, as watercress does too.

However, Harcourt Brown says none of that matters, as there's much more calcium in pellets than veggies:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/@@search?Subject:list=Amount of food to provide RDA calcium

Kale sometimes has a bad reputation for rabbits because of its calcium content (approximately 1.3%). However it is 85% water, which means that a rabbit can eat a lot of it without eating a lot of calcium. This picture shows 265g kale, which is the amount that would provide 500mg. It is more than most rabbits would eat in a day. A typical bag of kale from the supermarket contains 200g. A big bag contains 400g.

Kale has a lot of calcium in it, as watercress does too.

However, Harcourt Brown says none of that matters, as there's much more calcium in pellets than veggies:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/calcium-and-rabbit-food

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/@@search?Subject:list=Amount of food to provide RDA calcium

Kale sometimes has a bad reputation for rabbits because of its calcium content (approximately 1.3%). However it is 85% water, which means that a rabbit can eat a lot of it without eating a lot of calcium. This picture shows 265g kale, which is the amount that would provide 500mg. It is more than most rabbits would eat in a day. A typical bag of kale from the supermarket contains 200g. A big bag contains 400g.
Ah that's interesting!

Yea I buy the big leaves of kale, not the chopped up stuff, I probably feed 3 big leaves a day maybe 2 depends on sizes obviously, and that's between two buns, a handful of the mixed stuff, 4 tenderstems? And just some herbs - maybe that isn't too much? Idk they all seem to love it and eat it all [emoji38] and I've not had any issues yet...

My pair of bridge buns loved Spring greens,they used to circle me and bum wiggle when I gave them some.I always cut a thin slice from the base of the plant then plunged them into a basin of cold water to crisp them up,I let them soak fir an hour or so.I do this with broccoli,cabbage etc now for myself.

Ah that's interesting!

Yea I buy the big leaves of kale, not the chopped up stuff, I probably feed 3 big leaves a day maybe 2 depends on sizes obviously, and that's between two buns, a handful of the mixed stuff, 4 tenderstems? And just some herbs - maybe that isn't too much? Idk they all seem to love it and eat it all [emoji38] and I've not had any issues yet...

It doesn't sound like too much to me :wave:

I don't worry about veg and forage too much, though I don't feed an awful lot of kale. At the moment the buns are only getting forage from my garden, and grass (along with hay and a few pellets).

I also give them filtered water, as that will make sure they aren't overloaded with calcium that way :D

Yeah mine love these! They were funny though and nearer winter they wouldn’t touch them, so I think they taste different depending on the season maybe.

I know exactly what you mean though, I have to google everything and see it on at least three good sources before I trust it’s ok lol x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never given spring greens as thought can cause gas?

I would like to though if it's safe?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have never given spring greens as thought can cause gas?

I would like to though if it's safe?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Oo Idk.. I think kale and broccoli are supposed to cause gas too.. But not had any issues that I know of here - hopefully someone else will know :D

I feed these to my bunnies all the time, they love them! Just introduce gradually as with any new foods [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oo Idk.. I think kale and broccoli are supposed to cause gas too.. But not had any issues that I know of here - hopefully someone else will know :D

I find these cause the most gas .. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower :)

I have never known greens to cause gas. Or kale for that matter :)

I find these cause the most gas .. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower :)

I have never known greens to cause gas. Or kale for that matter :)
I would suspect all brassicas to cause gas, but in differing risk-values :) We've only ever had a problem with Lopsy and sprouts though!

Back