• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

People who's bunnies survived myxomatosis

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I recall years ago members who had bunnies go through myxomatosis and seemed to improve greatly over the weeks, so I think one or two members had bunnies survive it?

If you are one of those people or remember cases, how long did it take for the swelling in eyes and genitals to start going down?

I have a bunny about two weeks into myxomatosis, no breathing issues, eating well, active, grooming, playful but I haven't seen any real improvement with eyes or genitals yet. I'm doing saline washes 3 times a day and I've just invested in manuka honey with added vitamin C to help with skin and immune system.

I'm going to continue treatment for as long as she is happy, which she seems to be, she's playing in tunnels and chin rubbing stuff. I just can't find any information about recovery or treatment of the nodules.

The swellings crust over, and then the crusts slowly peel up and fall off. From memory, they started crusting at about 2 weeks or so, and then it's really variable how long it takes for them to fall off. Some just took a few days, others took months...Delilah had one over her nose which stopped healing underneath it and it took 6 months before it fell off, and when it did, it left exposed bone below. Be prepared for the possibility of a bit more difficulty breathing if any of the swellings are around the nose, because when they harden it can be much more difficult for them. Try and resist the urge to pick at them, they will heal much better if they are allowed to raise up and fall off naturally. The only ones we 'assisted' were the ones on her eyelids because they were poking into her eyes and scratching them, and she had acupuncture around the really persistent nose one to encourage new tissue growth. If she's got this far without breathing issues, then hopefully you'll be ok - but it will start to change soon so do keep vigilant and go straight back to the vets if you are worried about anything. Good luck x

I recall years ago members who had bunnies go through myxomatosis and seemed to improve greatly over the weeks, so I think one or two members had bunnies survive it?

If you are one of those people or remember cases, how long did it take for the swelling in eyes and genitals to start going down?

I have a bunny about two weeks into myxomatosis, no breathing issues, eating well, active, grooming, playful but I haven't seen any real improvement with eyes or genitals yet. I'm doing saline washes 3 times a day and I've just invested in manuka honey with added vitamin C to help with skin and immune system.

I'm going to continue treatment for as long as she is happy, which she seems to be, she's playing in tunnels and chin rubbing stuff. I just can't find any information about recovery or treatment of the nodules.

Hello, it's been a long time !

Sorry to hear that you have a poorly Rabbit.Has she been Vaccinated with Nobivac Myxo-RHD within the last 12 months ? If so this could significantly increase her chances of survival. Sadly the prognosis for unvaccinated Rabbits is very poor :cry: despite seeming to be fine within themselves initially .

Has a Vet examined the Rabbit ? It is very important to try to prevent secondary bacterial infection developing, this usually presents as pneumonia so auscultating the chest on a regular basis is essential and usually a Vet will prescribe abx cover as soon as a diagnosis of Myxo is made from the all too obvious clinical symptoms. It is almost always secondary bacterial infection that leads to fatalities A Non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam can help reduce inflammation and act as an antipyretic should the Rabbit be febrile. It may be necessary for the Vet to prescribe topical abx eye drops too.

I am glad that your Rabbit is feeling OK within herself at the moment, but as I am sure you know this can quickly change so it is always essential to have regular contact with a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

This old thread may be helpful

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Officially-Well-again!!&highlight=myxomatosis

She's on antibiotics already to prevent secondary infections. She isn't vaccinated because she's around 5 - 6 weeks old. The swellings have scabbed /crusted over already and two of the lumps are now flat scabs that are peeling away. I'm monitoring every little thing constantly and the second it looks like she's going downhill I will have her put to sleep, I've already discussed it with the vet and she said if she stops eating and seems miserable bring her in. Her breathing is good, no nasal discharge and lungs are clear, she has a few little lumps around the nose.

I'm aware survival is highly unlikely in myxi buns but I'm giving her a chance because she's full of life still. I have a 24/7 emergency vets just 10 minute walk away so I'm prepared.

At that age, it's possible that she had some immunity from her mum via her milk - natural myxo immunity starts to wane until antibodies are undetectable at about 8 weeks so she may have had enough from mum just to keep it fairly mild. It's not uncommon for kits to survive if they are very young; everything crossed for her x

At that age, it's possible that she had some immunity from her mum via her milk - natural myxo immunity starts to wane until antibodies are undetectable at about 8 weeks so she may have had enough from mum just to keep it fairly mild. It's not uncommon for kits to survive if they are very young; everything crossed for her x

Yes, hopefully that will be the case. I really hope she will make it xx

Also sending lots of vibes for your little one. I have nursed an adult rabbit, who was up to date with vaccinations, with Myx. My experience was that it was several weeks before the nodules scabbed and fell off. It is obviously a very good sign that she does not have the additional complication of a respiratory infection and I hope that remains the case.

I hope you can see this through and she goes on to make a complete recovery :D

I had two adults (Poppy and Lillian) die from it and they both got very sick, very quickly and died within a week despite immediate treatment. Both severe respiratory issues throughout.

I'm really hoping that Rosie stands a chance (I can't actually sex her due to the swelling but I've given her an identity anyway). I'm going to continue doing everything I can until she either recovers or she decides to stop fighting.

Back