• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit chewing cage HELP

bjade

New Kit
Okay, so I have just moved my rabbit into my new house and he is living in a hutch in my bedroom, he was house trained at my previous home and would run around inside and outside and then in a hutch at mostly during night but some times during the day. but plenty of freedom.

so now the idea is for him to mainly be confined to my room with lots of time to run around my room and even sometimes the rest of the house.
however we are three night in and he is driving me insane.
I thought it would be good to leave him in the hutch for a few days till he gets use to his new house and where his toilet is, and i let him have short supervised runs to stretch his legs.
He is crewing the wood and wire of his cage and its keeping me up all night, or distracting me from study. i know he is going it to try and get out and get attention however i cant let him out all the time and he isn't quite use to his toilet just yet.
He will chew incessantly (meanwhile trying to ignore it and not show him attention with ear plugs in, which aren't working might i saw) till i get up out of bed and he will instantly stop, which make it hard to discipline him.
He has also stopped letting em near him when i do let him out or he quickly jumps out when im changing water or food, as he knows that i will put him back there.
His hutch it big enough, gots lots of food and water, straw, crew toys and a litter tray. i dont know what to do
If anyone can please help me ASAP he is making me sleep deprived.

now beofre you say take him out of my room, this would have to be the last resort as i live in share out and to run around i would have to take him from his hutch to the other side of the house to my room, so he couldnt self access his hutch, its just not preferred.

thanks in advanced for the help, i hope ive provided enough information.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: despite what most hutch retailers say, I’m afraid a hutch isn’t enough space on its own for a rabbit,they should never be confined to a hutch, even at night, they need a lot of space permanently available to them, as they are very active even overnight. Most of us either rabbit proof an entire room, or use puppy pens or similar to make a large rabbit safe area. They need at least 60 sq ft at all times https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/ and I suspect your rabbit is telling you that he wants to get out of the hutch, and doesn’t want to be shut in there. I’m sure that will help, and he will become more approachable.

Hello, and welcome to the forum :wave: despite what most hutch retailers say, I’m afraid a hutch isn’t enough space on its own for a rabbit,they should never be confined to a hutch, even at night, they need a lot of space permanently available to them, as they are very active even overnight. Most of us either rabbit proof an entire room, or use puppy pens or similar to make a large rabbit safe area. They need at least 60 sq ft at all times https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/ and I suspect your rabbit is telling you that he wants to get out of the hutch, and doesn’t want to be shut in there. I’m sure that will help, and he will become more approachable.
This :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This.

But what about getting him use to his hutch/home and using his litter tray before letting him have complete full rain, i absolutely intent to have him out in my room which has been rabbit proofed as i have previously done however, i was under the impression that for the first few day to ensure he uses his new litter tray you keep them confined to an area, otherwise they will think the whole area is their litter tray??!

But what about getting him use to his hutch/home and using his litter tray before letting him have complete full rain, i absolutely intent to have him out in my room which has been rabbit proofed as i have previously done however, i was under the impression that for the first few day to ensure he uses his new litter tray you keep them confined to an area, otherwise they will think the whole area is their litter tray??!

It's a tricky one, I mean time has passed now... So has he been using his litter tray? If not I don't think more time shut away will change that. If he has been using it though, then you could just let him out?

I agree with what has been posted before regarding space etc, that's probably why he is behaving the way he is, I'd personally just let him out, you'll know by now what's going on with the litter tray :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Has he got his original litter tray he used to use? If so that will help. Often when a rabbit is in new territory there will be some territorial marking, usually pooing, but if you can keep sweeping this up and putting it in the litter tray that will encourage him to use it, it usually subsides quickly if they have previously been litter trained.

Using several litter trays might be necessary, and making sure his hay is over or in the litter trays will encourage him to use them as they like to eat and poop at the same time.

I would make sure he isn’t shut in the hutch, even at night, as this won’t be enough space and he’s likely to start chewing and being noisy in protest.

It's a tricky one, I mean time has passed now... So has he been using his litter tray? If not I don't think more time shut away will change that. If he has been using it though, then you could just let him out?

I agree with what has been posted before regarding space etc, that's probably why he is behaving the way he is, I'd personally just let him out, you'll know by now what's going on with the litter tray :)

He doesnt seem to be using it much at all, its as though he is saving all his pee and poo for when i let him out the little ******. he has been peeing on my cloths and bed, and pooing everywhere and when i try and put him in the cage even foe a short while he goes straight back to crewing it. i dont know what to do, he is usually good???

He doesnt seem to be using it much at all, its as though he is saving all his pee and poo for when i let him out the little ******. he has been peeing on my cloths and bed, and pooing everywhere and when i try and put him in the cage even foe a short while he goes straight back to crewing it. i dont know what to do, he is usually good???

Probably territorial marking, as I described in my last post. Unfortunately a lot of rabbits wee on soft surfaces so you might want to exclude him from the bed using puppy pens. And he won’t want to be shut in his hutch so that’s why he’s chewing it in protest.

Is he neutered? That would help litter training if he isn’t already done.

Probably territorial marking, as I described in my last post. Unfortunately a lot of rabbits wee on soft surfaces so you might want to exclude him from the bed using puppy pens. And he won’t want to be shut in his hutch so that’s why he’s chewing it in protest.

Is he neutered? That would help litter training if he isn’t already done.
I agree :)

Back