• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VACCINATE- Myxo, RHD1 & RHD2 -Updated 1st October 2018

Yes, it's all far too complicated for me. Virus mutation is of course another issue. I was listening to a programme on Radio 4 a while back and it was about vaccinations for various diseases that effect humans. Apparently once a virus cottons on to the fact that it's ability to cause disease is being challenged (by vaccines) the virus launches a counter attack by mutating to circumnavigate the immunity that a vaccine can produce. It was put in a far more scientific way, but I think that was the gist of it.

I wish I were gifted with far more intelligence and academic ability. Not understanding things I really want to understand is so frustrating !!

Virus mutation is terrifying. I think in the long run, it will be the undoing of humanity. What I think is strange re. the wild rabbit population, is that it seems to be only RHD1 that is wiping large colonies out. I suppose the fact that it's variant 1 does at least give very young kits the chance of survival and the ability to rebuild that they wouldn't have with variant 2. There is a very healthy fox population in the area that I was talking about, but none of the carcasses that are out in the open are touched by the foxes. I wonder why?
PS. I shouldn't worry too much about your intelligence. When it comes to rabbits, your knowledge and understanding is encyclopaedic compared to most 'experts' I've encountered.

P@H are a liability, and that information would be laughable if it wasn't so seriously incorrect. Email on its way.

From me too but I suspect they have me blocked as I have complained about so many things so many times over the years !!

Virus mutation is terrifying. I think in the long run, it will be the undoing of humanity. What I think is strange re. the wild rabbit population, is that it seems to be only RHD1 that is wiping large colonies out. I suppose the fact that it's variant 1 does at least give very young kits the chance of survival and the ability to rebuild that they wouldn't have with variant 2. There is a very healthy fox population in the area that I was talking about, but none of the carcasses that are out in the open are touched by the foxes. I wonder why?
PS. I shouldn't worry too much about your intelligence. When it comes to rabbits, your knowledge and understanding is encyclopaedic compared to most 'experts' I've encountered.

I find the whole RHD1/2 situation terrifying. Not fully understanding it all makes the fear worse I think. I really am not in the least bit 'academic', but I do try to learn as much as I can about Rabbits as they fascinate me. All my school reports always seemed to imply that I was only willing to learn and work hard if I had an interest in the subject being taught. Shame I found most subjects so boring !! :lol: To be fair most of the Teachers were awful too. But I admit that I was not a very well behaved pupil :oops:

Last edited:
PAH 'advice' Re RHD2 Vaccines

''We are aware of the concerns about rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus type 2 (RHDV-2) affecting rabbits in the UK. The ‘classic’ RHD has been present in the UK for decades and a very effective vaccine which also covers for myxomatosis has been available for rabbits for years.
However, a new variant of RHD has emerged recently which is known as RHD-2 and was first noted in France in 2010.
The current vaccine available in the UK does not seem to fully protect against this new variant.

RHD2 has some differences from the classic RHD. In particularly it may affect rabbits of any age, as opposed to RVHD1, which is rarely if ever seen in rabbits under 8-10 weeks of age. It has also been reported that the variant may give rise to lower mortalities than classical RHD but we really don’t know a lot about the situation in the UK at the moment. The source of outbreaks and the spread of RHD-2 in pet rabbits in the UK is unclear still and there seems to be insufficient information at present to recommend for all pet rabbits in the country to be vaccinated.

There is no licensed vaccine available in the UK which covers RHD-2.
A French vaccine is available but it needs to be imported and all vets will need their own special import license which is straightforward to do but is not as simple as writing a prescription. Due to the sudden increase demand from the UK there have been supply shortages and it is not uncommon for the vaccine to be out of stock.
The vaccine needs to be given 2 weeks apart from the ‘normal’ vaccine and repeated every 6 to 12 months. You will be required to sign an off-license consent form indicating you are aware it is an unlicensed product.

For more information we recommend speaking to your local Vets4Pets or Companion Care Vets where the vaccine is available. A vet can discuss the risks and benefits with you before deciding on an appropriate regime and vaccination plan for your rabbit. High risk situations at the moment include rescue centres and breeders, unless they have a strict quarantine policy, and those rabbits which have greater contact with wild rabbits, as well as any geographical location where cases have been reported recently.

It is very important to remember that RHD and myxomatosis remain the most significant health threats in rabbits which can be vaccinated against, and so coverage with this vaccine remains a priority.''

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/seasonal-events/rhd-2-rabbit-vaccine

Just WTF
Wow that's actually on there website. Wow.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

There is no email address to send complaints/comments to PAH so before sending off a letter I have just given Customer Service a call. The automated response gleefully informed me that my position in the queue is 9 !!

Same thing here. I'm in Surrey and the rabbits have completely disappeared from the heath I walk my dogs on. There are many dead rabbits out in the open but close to huge warrens. The same thing happened two years ago and it took a long time to rebuild a healthy population again.
Hi greengage, whereabouts in Surrey are you? I'm southeast, haven't been walking for the last couple of weeks due to an ankle injury but I often walk in the woods/fields nearby and see bunnies. Just hoping it hasn't spread around here, I get paranoid even though mine are vaccinated.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Hi greengage, whereabouts in Surrey are you? I'm southeast, haven't been walking for the last couple of weeks due to an ankle injury but I often walk in the woods/fields nearby and see bunnies. Just hoping it hasn't spread around here, I get paranoid even though mine are vaccinated.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

S.E.too.

Try this one,
iandirect@petsathome.co.uk Ian Kellett, CEO

It is now Peter Pritchard (I think he is, in fact, now Group Chief Executive Officer, not just Retail)

Pets at Home

Mr Peter Pritchard CEO of Retail

Email peterdirect@petsathome.co.uk

Telephone 0161 486 6688
Switchboard 0161 486 6688
Fax 0161 485 4846
Website http://www.petsathome.com
Social Media T F G

Advice from CEOemail.com How to write your email to a CEO

See also Customer Services for Pets at Home

Related lists UK Companies (P) / UK FTSE 250 Companies

Pets@Home advice on vaccinations:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...dvice/keeping-your-rabbit-fit-and-healthy#RHD

What is RHD2?
RHD2 is a new variant of a virus that can cause sudden death in rabbits, often with no signs of illness. Due to vaccination, the original disease, RHD (RHD1), is now rarely seen. However in recent years the new variant, RHD2, has appeared and, unlike RHD1 which had a very high mortality rate, some rabbits infected with RHD2 may recover from the virus while others may show no signs of the disease at all. Sadly, some rabbits do die, often suddenly.

How can I tell if my rabbit has RHD2?
Signs of the infection may be vague. Your rabbit may show some weight loss, lethargy or jaundice (yellowing of the skin). However some rabbits may be infected and yet show no signs of being unwell at all. Tests of blood and faeces may confirm the infection in rabbits that are showing signs of illness, however for a rabbit that shows no obvious signs of being unwell, it may only be possible to confirm the presence of the virus after the rabbit has died.

How is the infection spread?
The virus can be spread directly through contact with an infected rabbit or indirectly through water bottles, food bowls etc. There is also a risk of RHD2 spreading to pet rabbits from outbreaks in wild rabbits. This is because the virus can be spread through the droppings of birds, foxes or flying insects that may have fed on the carcass of an infected wild rabbit. As the virus may be spread through faeces, which may soil shoes and boots, it’s important to recognise that house rabbits may also be exposed if there is an outbreak in the wild rabbit population in your area.

Is there a cure?
Regrettably, as yet there is no cure. The disease can only be prevented through vaccination.

What should I do?
We recommend that you visit your vet who will be able to advise you on the vaccination requirements for your individual pet based on their local knowledge. Being registered with a vet also means they can contact you in the future for any follow up that may be advisable. There are a number of vaccines available that will protect your rabbit against common diseases. A combined vaccine against the original strain of RHD (RHD1) and Myxomatosis is widely available. Your vet can also provide a separate, single vaccine against RHD2 although this cannot be done at the same time as the combined vaccine – a period of two weeks in between the vaccinations is recommended. The RHD2 vaccine isn’t as widely available as the combined vaccine as it has to be imported. Your vet will advise on the appropriate action for your pet.

It actually gets even more confusing because both links are live and work, which means each must be accessible somehow to the general public.

I then tried to get information on rabbit vaccinations by going within the Pets@Home website to the section under Rabbit Health, which provided this "As well as taking them to the vet once a year for a general check-up and to keep them up to date with their vaccinations....." No further information on vaccinations within this section.

Using the search facility to find vaccinations, it gives details of the veterinary services within Pets@Home.

So even someone looking specifically for information on rabbit vaccinations, I cannot find any details.

I will be honest, I did assume about P@H, which is bad as it "makes an ass out of you and me". but I know after RHD2 was confirmed, they were still handing out information which was incorrect months in, I didn't find this to be good at all. even if we are "not sure yet" people need to be made aware.

I can not find any easily accessible information on their website about vaccinations for rabbits. I have looked and I have given up.

its all well and good having a page about vaccinations, but its utterly pointless if it is hidden within the murky waters. people are not going to spend hours searching for something, because they are lazy. yes people should do research about pets before they come home, but how many make impulse purchases? many. so they will want quick and easy info. P@H does not provide that...and many will use RSPCA, P@H for information..

I've tried to look and I haven't found anything useful

Rabbits can be quite delicate animals that are easily susceptible to illness if they’re not cared for properly. You need to keep them clean and check them regularly for signs of illness and injury. As well as taking them to the vet once a year for a general check-up and to keep them up to date with their vaccinations, there are some steps you can take on a day-to-day basis too.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pet-talk/pet-care-small-animal-rabbit-health

another page.. utterly nothing about vaccinations and this is "a beginners guide to owning rabbits" - vaccinations SHOULD be mentioned here!
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/choosing-a-pet-small-animal-rabbit

perhaps I am being utterly dopey, often I am, and am being the stupid one but I can't find where on earth you found that MM!
"Home>Pet Care Advice>Small Pet Care Advice>Rabbit Care Advice>Keeping your rabbit fit and healthy"
I can not even find the first page to get to the "keeping your rabbit fit & healthy"

I know the rabbit community is very quick to bash P@H and slit their throats very quickly, it makes me upset sometimes. I'm not one to easily bash P@H neither, but this is something that is well, quite serious and needs to be addressed. and the fact that it feels very clunky & poor, is upsetting.

so many rabbits could be saved if owners knew. but they don't. and its down to the big & trusted companies to get that information passed down.

Back