• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VACCINATE- Myxo, RHD1 & RHD2 -Updated 1st October 2018

My rabbits have just had one vaccination, does this mean that I need to get another one as I assume they’re not vaccinated against RHD2? What should I ask for when I ring the vets? I don’t really understand it

My vets do the combi myxomatosis and RHD vaccine then RHD2 a couple of weeks later, I assume this is the norm? I'd just call them and say you've had the combi vaccination done but have been told you need to do RHD2 as well

Is there still a shortage in places?

Tobys having his RHD2 tomorrow and didn't mention it being out if stock thankfully.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Would bunnies that eat forage be classed as higher risk?

Last edited:
Would bunnies that eat forage be classed as higher risk?

I think the risk is to all Rabbits, whether fed fresh forage or not.

This is FHB's thoughts on the issue :

''The risk of transmitting disease from wild rabbits is the most serious concern about foraging for pet rabbits. Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease (RHD) is easily transmitted, not only via forage, but also on footwear or via insects, crows or foxes. The best way to protect rabbits is to vaccinate them and it is vital that tabbits that are fed on forage are vaccinated against RHD and RHDV2.''

Full text here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

Re the supply of the RHD2 Vaccine, my Vet has not had any problems obtaining Filivac. But I was speaking with a Vet based in Yorkshire a couple of days ago and she is having to prioritise most 'at risk' Rabbits atm as she is having a problem obtaining Filivac from her supplier. She said this occurred as a result of the recent recall of a specific batch of Filivac. I'd give your Vet a call to check that they have the Vaccine in stock, I doubt there will be a problem.

I think the risk is to all Rabbits, whether fed fresh forage or not.

This is FHB's thoughts on the issue :

''The risk of transmitting disease from wild rabbits is the most serious concern about foraging for pet rabbits. Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease (RHD) is easily transmitted, not only via forage, but also on footwear or via insects, crows or foxes. The best way to protect rabbits is to vaccinate them and it is vital that tabbits that are fed on forage are vaccinated against RHD and RHDV2.''

Full text here :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

Re the supply of the RHD2 Vaccine, my Vet has not had any problems obtaining Filivac. But I was speaking with a Vet based in Yorkshire a couple of days ago and she is having to prioritise most 'at risk' Rabbits atm as she is having a problem obtaining Filivac from her supplier. She said this occurred as a result of the recent recall of a specific batch of Filivac. I'd give your Vet a call to check that they have the Vaccine in stock, I doubt there will be a problem.
Thanks Jane, I was just thinking how often to vaccinate now they go outside and I forage their food. At the moment we have been once yearly.

Thanks Jane, I was just thinking how often to vaccinate now they go outside and I forage their food. At the moment we have been once yearly.

I'd discuss it with your Vet. The Filavac data sheet states that duration of immunity is 12 months

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

However some Rabbit Savvy Vets are still advising 6 monthly boosters for Rabbits considered to be high risk. This usually apples to multiple Rabbit settings such as Rescues or Rabbits living very near a wild Rabbit colony.

Eravac only gives 9 months immunity

https://www.hipra.com/wcm/connect/h...-c99a8b7f-4a17-429f-9da0-6789d74520b8-mh-qXaY

I'd discuss it with your superduper vet. My rabbits diet consists mainly of forage and hay, both could be carriers of disease. I live and walk in the countryside, which is also a risk. We always have a mosquito problem here in the Summer, which is also a risk, especially for Myx.

I vaccinate only once a year for both Nobivac and Filavac. I think I might consider having them done 6 monthly if they went into boarding, but they don't.

I'd discuss it with your superduper vet. My rabbits diet consists mainly of forage and hay, both could be carriers of disease. I live and walk in the countryside, which is also a risk. We always have a mosquito problem here in the Summer, which is also a risk, especially for Myx.

I vaccinate only once a year for both Nobivac and Filavac. I think I might consider having them done 6 monthly if they went into boarding, but they don't.
Thanks Omi. All vaccinated now. Once yearly but will review in 6 months at heart check appointment

Mine were vaccinated against VHD2 (and everything else) around last September/October, so I should probably get them done for a second time very soon? I know that Ham & Bea were definitely vaccinated against VHD2, because we had to take them to a far away vet to get it done, but I'm not sure if Plumps was done. I'm going to call up on Monday and see if my local vet has finally managed to get hold of it...

Frances Harcourt Brown has reported a rapid increase in the submissions to her 'Sudden Death' Survey and yesterday on her FB page she posted about a very distressing RHD2 related incident

*WARNING HER POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC AND DISTRESSING IMAGES OF A DECEASED WILD RABBIT*

https://www.facebook.com/RabbitVet/

A bit surprised that there is no mention of RHD2 on this RSPCA link about Rabbit vaccinations :?

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/health/vaccinations

Funnily enough I have written to both the RSPCA and the PDSA about this recently. If you google 'rabbit vaccinations' the one you've put there and the PDSA are the first two links on the page and neither mention RHD2. So if people are genuinely wanting to do the right thing by their new pets, they wouldn't be any the wiser after reading what they should think would be reliable sources of information. So it's entirely plausible that someone could lose their rabbits to RHD2 and say that they had done some research and never knew :(

It would be good if others would contact the RSPCA and PDSA (here's their link: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/health/vaccinations) to see if we can get them to update.

Funnily enough I have written to both the RSPCA and the PDSA about this recently. If you google 'rabbit vaccinations' the one you've put there and the PDSA are the first two links on the page and neither mention RHD2. So if people are genuinely wanting to do the right thing by their new pets, they wouldn't be any the wiser after reading what they should think would be reliable sources of information. So it's entirely plausible that someone could lose their rabbits to RHD2 and say that they had done some research and never knew :(

It would be good if others would contact the RSPCA and PDSA
(here's their link: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/health/vaccinations) to see if we can get them to update.

I'll do that later today xx

I cant find a way to contact them via the link, unless I am being even more dense than usual :?

Sadly some Vets are still not up to date with the RHD2 situation and so even the RSPCA's advice to consult a Vet re what Vaccines are necessary will not guarantee that correct advice is given.

When there was a lull in reported cases a few months back I really hoped we had turned a corner. Very naive of me, I know. But now it seems just as bad as the initial onslaught. I really cannot imagine how I'd cope if I lost numerous Rabbits to the virus. Not vaccinating makes no sense to me at all, unless of course it was because the person was not given any information about the need to do so.

i do think some just aren’t aware, which is sad. they would have if they knew, but now they know far to late as their furry pal is gone. it really does come down to ill information from those who are trusted, RSPCA & PDSA. if I was a new owner with no other knowings, I would trust those as what’s on the internet isn’t always true. having P@H not mention anything neither is useless. I don’t think their care leaflets mention it and a lot of people go into their stores and rely on their info. if they had a huge sign saying “vaccinate for myxi & RHD1, and the separate vaccine for RHD2” people may also know. it’s sad and i don’t know how I would feel if my rabbits died due to something preventable, or how I would feel if I had trusted the RSPCAs advise for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back