• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would others do?

Hi,

We came back off holiday today to find out that our rabbits had escaped on Thursday (we did have someone popping in to take care of them but only once a day). We have managed to get one of them back, but the other is still missing. While asking around the neighbourhood my oh spoke to lady who says she thought she’d seen a rabbit, which looked like ours, but had unfortunately been got by a fox (not sure how I explain that to a 5 year old).

My question is, do we get another rabbit to friend with our remaining one? They were a pair of sisters who we got at 8 weeks old. The one left does seem a bit sad on her own, but is still eating not sure about pooping yet.

Any advice would be great fully received. Thanks xx

Oh no :cry: I’m so sorry. They are such escape artists I’m afraid. Is your remaining rabbit spayed? If she is, your best course of action is to approach a rabbit rescue, your nearest one can be found here http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk and see if they have any suitable rabbits to bond her with, normally the best pairing is a spayed female with a neutered male. They may help with bonding too, which should be done in a neutral area where neither rabbit has been, after this they can go back to the original housing so long as it has been thoroughly neutralised to remove smells of rabbits, cleaning followed by neutralising with white vinegar/water mixed 50/50 should help.

Obviously you will need to remedy how the other rabbit escaped, they should have a predator and rabbit proofed hutch atttached to a secure predator and rabbit proof run, the floor of the run should be meshed under the turf or fastened down to a hard surface such as concrete. I’m afraid you will need to doubly check security if there has been a fox around, bolts to the hutch doors and weldmesh instead of any chicken mesh will help.

Thanks Zoobec,

Yes she is spayed. How long would you leave it before looking for another rabbit to bond her too? Also are there any signs I should look out for in my remaining rabbit, that she is not coping well on her own?

Xx

Thanks Zoobec,

Yes she is spayed. How long would you leave it before looking for another rabbit to bond her too? Also are there any signs I should look out for in my remaining rabbit, that she is not coping well on her own?

Xx

The length of time will vary from one rabbit to another, if she seems lonely, not eating much, not her usual self, then I would start trying to find a new partner for her as soon as possible. Especially as she is outdoors, she will need a new friend soon anyway.

In the meantime I’d offer plenty of things to do, apple/ pear tree twigs to chew, chill and chew mats, a treat ball to make pellets last longer.

Hi,

Well yesterday I got in touch with the lady at our local small animal rescue and she has 3 neatured males who are slightly younger than our rabbit. We are taking her on Thursday to meet them. The lady at the rescue is going to do the see which one our rabbit gets on with better and then do the bonding. She charges £25 for everything, does this sound about right?

I’ll let you know how it goes. Xx

Hi,

Well yesterday I got in touch with the lady at our local small animal rescue and she has 3 neatured males who are slightly younger than our rabbit. We are taking her on Thursday to meet them. The lady at the rescue is going to do the see which one our rabbit gets on with better and then do the bonding. She charges £25 for everything, does this sound about right?

That seems very cheap! Are they vaccinated against myxomatosis/vhd and the second vhd2 vaccine? I would make sure your rabbit is up to date with these vaccines too, before bonding.

Fingers crossed for you:thumb:

The £25 does not include vaccinations, but we will do this asap after bonding. Our rabbit had all her vaccinations in November/December last year. X

Hi,

I'm so sorry you lost on of your rabbits. :(

Re getting another rabbit - seeing how it goes with a neutered male is a great idea, and £25 is an extremely good price for a rabbit and bonding included :thumb:

38813754_10156358661750856_3970691522780725248_n.jpg

Here’s a picture of the little boy we are bonding our girl with. No names as yet. Will send more photos as I get the from the lady who is doing the bonding. X

As promised, another picture of our girl Georgie and her toyboy hunbun (shes nearly 1 and he only 11 weeks). I think she was missing having someone to cuddle as the lady doing the bonding said that after a short while of being together the were cuddled up. Also he now has a name, my son has named him Sirius Black. x

38849829_10156360162165856_1868156485649825792_n.jpg

Last edited:
As promised, another picture of our girl Georgie and her toyboy hunbun (shes nearly 1 and he only 11 weeks). I think she was missing having someone to cuddle as the lady doing the bonding said that after a short while of being together the were cuddled up. Also he now has a name, my son has named him Sirius Black. x

38849829_10156360162165856_1868156485649825792_n.jpg

I'm so glad to her they are getting on, and I love that name ;)

Back