• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit shaking after lawn mower!

Long story short, I told my dad to let me know when he wants to mow the lawn so I can bring the rabbits inside as the loud noise can scare them. He ignored this and just went out and mowed the lawn very nearby to the rabbit's pen, and I came out to find one of them shaking quite hard. He is laying down in the hutch shaking now looking worn out and it's been over an hour since the lawn mower was running. I'm very worried and it doesn't help that it's a hot day.

I'm waiting for a tub of water to freeze so I can put it in there to try and cool him down. I've provided fresh hay and fresh cold water as well but he didn't seem interested. What else can I do to help him? I only got these rabbits about 2 months ago so I've never experienced an issue like this before. EDIT - he is much too shy to be touched so I don't have the option of wetting his ears!

Last edited:
Sorry I'll edit the original post, I should've mentioned he's shy and won't let anyone touch him so I wouldn't be able to dampen his ears as it'd stress him out even more.

I pour water on a pillow case and put near my buns. Once it’s sort-of-dry but still a bit damp, they’ll lie on it x

I wouldn't put anything freezing in there unless it's an ice-pod etc. The shock might be too much. He should calm down gradually so keep quiet around him. Will he eat a piece of wet ?

Is he in his run or has he retreated to the hutch? I would just try to provide shade (you can angle a garden parasol) and let him calm down.

is he eating or moving? if not I would suggest the vet ASAP as it could be stress induced stasis, or stasis due to the warmth. if it is stasis, gut stimulants and possibly metacam will be provided.

I would always suggest in these warmer months (july, august & start of september) that people should always have either the hard ice pods, or frozen water bottles stocked up in their freezer :thumb: I have 6 right now on rotation so they have something cool to lie against. freezing cold water/water from the fridge/icey treats/ice should never be given to them. it can cause stasis and actually makes them hotter.

Back