• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Un-neutered Male with Neutered Male

BinkyBoaz

New Kit
So... we found out our Binky is NOT female today... I have been going off info on bonding a neutered male with an un-spayed female since April to no avail, and have found out why today...

Boaz (Britannica Petit), the neutered one, is almost 10 months old now, and Binky (Holland Lop), the now un-neutered male, is almost 8 months. They eat their meals together quite successfully, but do not really like hanging out outside of meal times because of previous fights they have had. They do lay in their respective cages (cages are ide by side) near each other, which I heard is a good sign that not all hope is lost.

We are all away from home for the summer, and won't be returning until the end of August. I have a vet that I trust (fixed Boaz) back home and am considering getting Binky also fixed by that vet upon getting home. What should I do in regards to bonding them? Should I wait until after getting Binky neutered? Should I keep trying and then continue after Binky gets neutered? Or should I forgo neutering Binky and continue bonding them?

I really want to keep both bunnies, and I know that both are very affectionate bunnies and hate being alone, but are just having a hard time in terms are figuring out who is dominant in the pair. If anyone had any suggestions or answers to my above questions, that would be awesome!

You need to get Binky neutered before bonding them. After neutering, he’ll need a minimum of 8 weeks for the hormones to die down before bonding.

You are very unlikely to be successful at bonding them whilst one is not neutered, as he is sexually mature and full of hormones at 8 months. Unneutered bucks see other bucks as a threat to their territory and fights can get nasty - rabbits remember these fights and it can make them hard to, or unable to, bond later even once they are neutered. So it is important that they are not allowed time together until he has been neutered.

It is hard to bond 2 bucks, even if neutered, so you will have to be very careful and follow all the rules of bonding to be successful. Good luck, I hope you manage to find a good vet to neuter Binky soon.

Thanks Nessar and Tonibun for replying. We will be planning on neutering him as soon as possible we get back home, which will be about 2 weeks to a month, depending on how soon we can get him in for surgery. We are probably not going to allow them much outside time together, but we are still going to do suppers together, as they have gotten used to the routine eating their meal together. I would feel bad if I changed their routine, as Boaz is very keen on keeping routine!

Tonight's supper went very well. There were a couple moments where Boaz went up to Binky to assert his dominance, but near the end of supper time, when they were both getting full, they did what I call a "showdown", where they are both lowering their heads near each other for dominance. I get worried during these moments because they may not give in, but today, Boaz started to lick Binky's face and clean one of his ears. I feel this may be a good sign, but I won't put a lot of meaning into it. What do you guys think?

Back