• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Warning: Fly Strike Edit: Vibes Needed Edit: She is Gone

I'm so very sorry for your loss. We lost our Skye very suddenly recently and were not able to say goodbye (she was and in patient and deteriorated late at night), its so heartbreaking. Thinking of you and your OH xx

My heart broke for your all when I read your news. It is so hard to deal with sudden loss of a beloved friend; and double hard when you cannot be there to comfort your loved ones in person.
You, your OH, and Bertie will get through this loss together because you all loved Belle so much.

Please let us know how Bertie is doing. Sending you and your family more healing vibes.

Thank you for asking x

Bertie is doing ok. He knows she is gone and we know this as he’s spending more time with OH (he’s normally not keen on humans - Bella was his world). He’s got a plush bunny to cuddle up to.

We have a single female (Pepper) and they had a 10-minute meeting on the ironing board last night. Bertie went straight in for cuddles and we’ll start bonding process properly on Monday when I’m back in London. (She was originally meant to be Teddy’s partner, but he loves everyone but her, the little sod.)

He’s eating greens but not pellets, but little toileting so far. He’s on Metacam, Baytril and Emeprid and he’s booked in for a check up on Monday. I’ve asked OH to give him Fibreplex too, as he needs to eat and poo properly.

He’s coped well so far, but we’re worried about tonight; OH is due back at work and it’s a night shift. Teddy gets very worried when daddy is working night shift (day shifts are fine, he doesn’t mind those) and usually gets a soft tummy. It’s Bertie’s first night completely on his own so I’m worried sadness will set it.

OH just called and has an idea. We have a big indoor pen and he’ll build a partition in Pepper’s room so Bertie can stay in her room overnight, rather than be outside and alone.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I hope Bertie improves and likes his new friend xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you for asking x

Bertie is doing ok. He knows she is gone and we know this as he’s spending more time with OH (he’s normally not keen on humans - Bella was his world). He’s got a plush bunny to cuddle up to.

We have a single female (Pepper) and they had a 10-minute meeting on the ironing board last night. Bertie went straight in for cuddles and we’ll start bonding process properly on Monday when I’m back in London. (She was originally meant to be Teddy’s partner, but he loves everyone but her, the little sod.)

He’s eating greens but not pellets, but little toileting so far. He’s on Metacam, Baytril and Emeprid and he’s booked in for a check up on Monday. I’ve asked OH to give him Fibreplex too, as he needs to eat and poo properly.

He’s coped well so far, but we’re worried about tonight; OH is due back at work and it’s a night shift. Teddy gets very worried when daddy is working night shift (day shifts are fine, he doesn’t mind those) and usually gets a soft tummy. It’s Bertie’s first night completely on his own so I’m worried sadness will set it.

I hope his appetite gets back to normal soon. When one of my buns lost his partner he was bereft and followed me around constantly.

Do you think fibasticks might help him eat? Most buns love them if you haven't already tried them. And fresh herbs - coriander, dill, mint and parsley. I hope you're OK being so far away xx

I lost two bunnies to flystrike, old bunnies that often had issues with dirty bums due to health issues. Obviously we checked them regularly but it happened so quickly! Both times we'd popped out for a few hours and come home to them covered in maggots eating into the flesh around their back ends. Utterly devastating! Both had to be pts.

I'm sorry you lost your precious bunny while you are away, I know how upsetting it is. My two elderly buns (10+ years) passed away when I was on holiday in October and I felt so guilty about not being there for them at the end. I'm glad your OH was with your bun at the end. I hope you are okay and Bertie is doing well. *hugs*

I hope his appetite gets back to normal soon. When one of my buns lost his partner he was bereft and followed me around constantly.

Do you think fibasticks might help him eat? Most buns love them if you haven't already tried them. And fresh herbs - coriander, dill, mint and parsley. I hope you're OK being so far away xx

Fiba sticks are usually popular but petshop was out, but he loves herbs.

He’s been toileting today so doing very well x

OH just called and has an idea. We have a big indoor pen and he’ll build a partition in Pepper’s room so Bertie can stay in her room overnight, rather than be outside and alone.

What a lucky bunny to have you and your OH thinking of ways to keep Bertie from getting depressed. Pepper sounds like a lucky bunny to have Bertie as her new friend.

I hope that Pepper and Bertie will like each other:love: fingers crossed for you all:thumb:

Back