• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Warning: Fly Strike Edit: Vibes Needed Edit: She is Gone

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello All,

After a stressful day with a so-far-so-good ending, I want to highlight the importance of checking your bunny’s bottom.

This morning, OH picked up our four buns one by one to check, and all seemed fine. Later on during the day, he picked one of them up again and saw what he (rightly) believed to be maggots.

He called the vet, who told him to bring Bella + her bonded partner straight in (OH didn’t see anything on Bertie) and he then called me (I’m with family in Sweden).

The Vet found two maggots on Bertie and more on Bella. Thankfully my OH caught it very early and B & B are now back at home resting, with shaved backsides and medicin.

I was, of course, aware of fly strike and all our buns were fly striked in May; we change all trays twice a day and we check bums regularly ... I thought I did everything to ensure they were safe, and STILL this happened.

Had my OH gone out for the day as planned, he wouldn’t have picked Bella up a second time and we would likely have lost one if not both of them...

Dear bunny owners, please please please check your bunnies often, and if something seems to be going on, take them straight to a bunny savvy Vet.

Today has taught me that this can happen in the space of a few hours and whilst they're now at home with OH, we’re not yet out of the woods. OH will be checking them hourly through the night, and bring them back to Vet for a check up on Tuesday.

Make bum-checking a regular thing. Once s day, twice or thrice if it’s hot. It may save your bun’s life.

Last edited:
Hello All,

After a stressful day with a so-far-so-good ending, I want to highlight the importance of checking your bunny’s bottom.

This morning, OH picked up our four buns one by one to check, and all seemed fine. Later on during the day, he picked one of them up again and saw what he (rightly) believed to be maggots.

He called the vet, who told him to bring Bella + her bonded partner straight in (OH didn’t see anything on Bertie) and he then called me (I’m with family in Sweden).

The Vet found two maggots on Bertie and more on Bella. Thankfully my OH caught it very early and B & B are now back at home resting, with shaved backsides and medicin.

I was, of course, aware of fly strike and all our buns were fly striked in May; we change all trays twice a day and we check bums regularly ... I thought I did everything to ensure they were safe, and STILL this happened.

Had my OH gone out for the day as planned, he wouldn’t have picked Bella up a second time and we would likely have lost one if not both of them...

Dear bunny owners, please please please check your bunnies often, and if something seems to be going on, take them straight to a bunny savvy Vet.

Today has taught me that this can happen in the space of a few hours and whilst they're now at home with OH, we’re not yet out of the woods. OH will be checking them hourly through the night, and bring them back to Vet for a check up on Tuesday.

Make bum-checking a regular thing. Once s day, twice or thrice if it’s hot. It may save your bun’s life.

Thank you, it can't be said often enough. And in this heatwave :shock:

I'm so glad your tale has a happy ending, and I hope you're having a lovely time with your family :wave:

Thank you, it can't be said often enough. And in this heatwave :shock:

I'm so glad your tale has a happy ending, and I hope you're having a lovely time with your family :wave:

It’s been a really stressful day, especially as there is absolutely nothing I can do from here :( The Vet called me twice, which was lovely.

I’m having a glass (or three!) of pink wine to relax now :)

Always a good reminder. Pleased Bella & Bertie are ok & you have such a vigilant OH

I think he’ll sit down and cry in a bit. Bella & Bertie joined us 3 years ago after my lovely Ricky Bun got suddenly sick and passed away overnight - whilst I was in Sweden and OH stayed home to look after the bunnies..! That night he was working night shift and blamed himself for not being there.

I don’t think he’ll let me go away any time soon again - it’s too stressful for all of us!

It’s been a really stressful day, especially as there is absolutely nothing I can do from here :( The Vet called me twice, which was lovely.

I’m having a glass (or three!) of pink wine to relax now :)

I can't resist it ... I'm going to have another check of the buns right now.

Then a glass or more of red wine :D

I no longer have buns,however a fox left a turd on the grass near my path round the back garden.You wouldn't believe how many green bottles settled on it there were dozens..yuk! Moved it to back of fence and washed it away with hot water.So these nasties are always looking for targets.

I no longer have buns,however a fox left a turd on the grass near my path round the back garden.You wouldn't believe how many green bottles settled on it there were dozens..yuk! Moved it to back to of fence and washed it away with hot water.So these nasties are always looking for targets.

Gross. And there are always lots of the *******!

I feel so helpless.

I have just spoken to OH and he believes my little Bella Bun is about to pass over to the Rainbow Bridge. He’s calling the vet now.

She doesn’t want to swallow food, or move. The medicine doesn’t seem to be working.

I’m in Sweden so I’m not there to love and support her.

I’ve asked him to take her out into the sunshine - she’s normally an outside bun and I think being inside is stressful as she doesn’t understand why she’s has to be kept inside.

Her little brother Bertie is doing ok. They’re brother and sister (twins) and they’ve always had each other, I don’t know what he’ll do without her if it comes to that.

I don’t know what to do. I just want to hold her.

Oh no :cry: sending lots of vibes for her. I hope that she can get through this.

Hugs xx

I, too, am really sorry to read this update and really hope she can recover :( What a horribly distressing situation for you to be in :(

Sending lots of hugs and lots of vibes for Bella.

It must be awful for you not to be able to be with your bunny. I really do hope for a miracle for you.

I feel so helpless.

I have just spoken to OH and he believes my little Bella Bun is about to pass over to the Rainbow Bridge. He’s calling the vet now.

She doesn’t want to swallow food, or move. The medicine doesn’t seem to be working.

I’m in Sweden so I’m not there to love and support her.

I’ve asked him to take her out into the sunshine - she’s normally an outside bun and I think being inside is stressful as she doesn’t understand why she’s has to be kept inside.

Her little brother Bertie is doing ok. They’re brother and sister (twins) and they’ve always had each other, I don’t know what he’ll do without her if it comes to that.

I don’t know what to do. I just want to hold her.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Millions of vibes that little Bella pulls through.

Hugs for you. It must be awful being so far away :(

Back