• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies squabbling over food

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello.

Archie and Pip have been squabbling over their pellets quite a bit recently. I put their pellets in the bowl and they start chasing each other in circles. No actual fighting, but I normally intervene to stop the chaos!

Could they be just a bit fed up because of the heat .?

Otherwise they both seem healthy and happy and keep snuggling up together.

What's going on with my little monkeys? Is this normal?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It’s fairly normal in pairs and groups for some squabbling over food, I found scatter feeding instead of feeding in a bowl pretty much eliminated it :thumb:

My two do this every evening during the short time between them realising it's pellet time and the pellets actually being available to eat, so maybe a minute. Once the pellets are there they are too busy eating them to bother with each other. I take this to be just excitement.

Is this what you are experiencing, or do they chase each other instead of eating the pellets?

My two do this every evening during the short time between them realising it's pellet time and the pellets actually being available to eat, so maybe a minute. Once the pellets are there they are too busy eating them to bother with each other. I take this to be just excitement.

Is this what you are experiencing, or do they chase each other instead of eating the pellets?
They used to do what you described. Now it's definitely chasing instead of eating!

Unfortunately Pip has always seemed to prefer running away and Archie gets more excited so the chasing continues. She is top bun though so don't understand it.

I would try scatter feeding, maybe they can't both get their heads into the bowl.
I bought a bigger bowl which sometimes helps. I did scatter a few days ago. But they were so busy chasing they hadn't noticed the pellets. Lol.

Their hay is browner at the moment I wonder if they are more hungry?

Although they aren't doing it with forage or hay. Just the pellets.

I have a quad of rabbits who always chase and growl at pellet oclock. I scatter feed and put a teeny pile of pellets near each rabbit but the chasing always happens.

They quickly calm down and are soon eating side by side.

My indoor couple are much more relaxed.

Hope your two cuties settle soon.

Last edited:
I have this problem. Bob is really territorial once he realises it is pellet time -fortunately Boogie is wise to this now and makes herself scarse until the bowls are on the floor. Fur will fly if she dares to be too close before this. We put down 2 separate bowls but despite this they still try and eat out of the same bowl sideways barging each others heads. I just think they know more about the bunny hierarchy than I do so I mostly leave them to it. I think if he was stopping her from eating I would have to intervene more.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I have this problem. Bob is really territorial once he realises it is pellet time -fortunately Boogie is wise to this now and makes herself scarse until the bowls are on the floor. Fur will fly if she dares to be too close before this. We put down 2 separate bowls but despite this they still try and eat out of the same bowl sideways barging each others heads. I just think they know more about the bunny hierarchy than I do so I mostly leave them to it. I think if he was stopping her from eating I would have to intervene more.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Yeah I do think they know more about bun hieracy. I just wish I understood it more! Maybe I should just let them get on with it.

Sorry your Bob is territorial too, flying fur sounds scary. Eek.

They are both chilling out now.
92b7cd550b294d884d779b8fb7a53406.jpg

They are super cute :love:

I'm pleased to read all the responses saying there's do it, as our Dottie & Ziggy do this. It starts as soon as they see me at food time, but ends the second the pellets hit the floor! :lol: x

Back