• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Two of my pet bunnies have suddenly died

On Wednesday night, when I went to go and put Flora (3 years old) to bed, she seemed limp and subdued and was having difficulty breathing (she had her mouth open and was panting). I carried her back to her hutch, where once put down, she flipped onto her side and started having a seizure. This lasted for about 4 mins and soon afterwards she passed away in my arms :cry:. She had been lacking her usual enthusiasm for food that day, but was otherwise normal.

She had lived with her 14 week old daughter, Connie, who was separated overnight, before being returned to the hutch once I had disenfected the hutch, run and toys. Connie had been okay since then, although was a little quiet, which we assumed was her grieving for her mummy. Last night she seemed a bit off her food, although eat some dandelions after a bit of persuasion. This morning I found that Connie had passed away overnight, after having what also looks like a fit. She was lying on her side, with he head tilted back, and all of her bedding and toys having been kicked over. I’m absolutely heartbroken :cry:.

This leaves behind my third bun, Thistle, who lives in a separate hutch right next to Flora’s and Connie’s. He seems his usual self, but was sniffing with Connie just last night. I’m super concerned that it’s some kind of virus that killed the over two, as I found a couple of dead and sickly wild rabbits at our field (which is about 1/4 mile away) a few weeks ago.

I am planning on consulting my (not very rabbit savvy) vet, but was hoping that people might have some advice/ ideas about what killed them.

On Wednesday night, when I went to go and put Flora (3 years old) to bed, she seemed limp and subdued and was having difficulty breathing (she had her mouth open and was panting). I carried her back to her hutch, where once put down, she flipped onto her side and started having a seizure. This lasted for about 4 mins and soon afterwards she passed away in my arms :cry:. She had been lacking her usual enthusiasm for food that day, but was otherwise normal.

She had lived with her 14 week old daughter, Connie, who was separated overnight, before being returned to the hutch once I had disenfected the hutch, run and toys. Connie had been okay since then, although was a little quiet, which we assumed was her grieving for her mummy. Last night she seemed a bit off her food, although eat some dandelions after a bit of persuasion. This morning I found that Connie had passed away overnight, after having what also looks like a fit. She was lying on her side, with he head tilted back, and all of her bedding and toys having been kicked over. I’m absolutely heartbroken :cry:.

This leaves behind my third bun, Thistle, who lives in a separate hutch right next to Flora’s and Connie’s. He seems his usual self, but was sniffing with Connie just last night. I’m super concerned that it’s some kind of virus that killed the over two, as I found a couple of dead and sickly wild rabbits at our field (which is about 1/4 mile away) a few weeks ago.

I am planning on consulting my (not very rabbit savvy) vet, but was hoping that people might have some advice/ ideas about what killed them.
Gosh I'm so so sorry :( how heartbreaking for you :'(

Were they all vaccinated for RHD2 as well as the RHD1 and myxomatosis combined vaccine? xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Other than not being vaccinated, what about heatstroke?

Binky free little ones :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

It’s been quite cool (and raining all the time) in Cumbria for the last few weeks, so I don’t think it’s heat stroke.
Yes sounds like Rhd I'm afraid :( I would take him away to the vets and explain it's emergency. At least will be a sterile environment whilst you get things sorted at home. I personally even after disinfection would not put him back near the hutches. I would get new ones. Xx

Yes sounds like Rhd I'm afraid :( I would take him away to the vets and explain it's emergency. At least will be a sterile environment whilst you get things sorted at home. I personally even after disinfection would not put him back near the hutches. I would get new ones. Xx

Thanks Loobers - I’ll try and get him to the vets ASAP this afternoon - I’ll keep everyone updated.

unfortunately that is likely your culprit :( rabbits without the vaccine have a "low" survival rate, as they catch the disease. RHD2 is a quick killer, it can take a bunny in hours.

I am sorry for your loss.

as for Thistle, I would suggest booking a vet appointment with a rabbit savvy vet, and discuss what can be done. he is at incredibly high risk at the moment having been around two (likely) infected bunnies. here is a list of rabbit savvy vets as recommended by the RWAF: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

if none are nearby, ask on the forum and I'm sure somebody can advise.

its really crucial to have a vet who knows about rabbits, especially in this instance.

your average disinfectant doesn't kill RHD sadly. I know a lot of other owners recommend F10 disinfectant, as its been known to help kill RHD. I believe that is the disinfectant anyway.

it shouldn't be too late to get Thistle vaccinated, but he is at high risk. its impossible to know if it was RHD1 or RHD2 without a post mortem. the two vaccines (one is for myxi & RHD1, other is for RHD2) can not be given at the same time, and is recommended to have a two week wait between them. so Thistle will still be at risk until both vaccines are done.

I’m so sorry :cry: If I were you I would suggest getting him to a rabbit savvy vet ASAP as a matter of urgency, for a check up and for the Filivac vaccine, this one covers for RHD1 and 2.source - https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...bit-haemorrhagic-disease/how-to-order-vaccine

FAQ on here including information on disinfection etc https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD#section-13 and there’s also a find a rabbit vet link on there too.

You can then have him vaccinated against myxomatosis after 2 weeks.

There’s a well respected RHD2 Facebook site https://m.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/ with up to date information

If it is suspected RHD then it’s advisable to have the bunnies that died cremated to avoid contamination. It can only be confirmed by post mortem tests.

Sadly rabbits are very fragile, and hide illness well :cry:

Thinking of you and sending vibes to Thistle xx

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Of course, it's impossible to say without a post mortem how your rabbits died, but it's certainly a possibility that it could be RHD2. There is a respected and comprehensive thread running about this and it links to an older thread which might be interesting to read when you have time. There have been lots of cases sadly :cry:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-July-2018

There's also some info here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...bit-haemorrhagic-disease/how-to-order-vaccine

Harcourt Brown as also instigated the following which you might like to show to your vet

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/sudden-or-unexpected-death

I'm really sorry for your sad losses and I hope your remaining rabbit will be well x

Last edited:
This afternoon I’ve tried to get him to a vets, but I can’t find a single small animal practice within a couple of hours that is open until Monday. There is one local farm practice that is open, however they only deal with livestock. There is the option of an emergency call out vet at my usual practice, which I will call out if I notice a lack of appetite/him being subdued, but it is pretty pricey.

I’ve booked the first appointment on Monday morning online for Thistle, and I’ve moved him inside into a brand new inside bunny pen, with new water bottle and food ball, etc. I haven’t actually touched Connies body or hutch (I’ve got a family member who is a doctor, who has cleared it all up with a clinical waste bag and gloves), so I’m making sure I’m the only one to enter his room, after washing my hands and changing clothes.

Thank you so much for everyone’s kind words and advice - I really appreciate it.

This afternoon I’ve tried to get him to a vets, but I can’t find a single small animal practice within a couple of hours that is open until Monday. There is one local farm practice that is open, however they only deal with livestock. There is the option of an emergency call out vet at my usual practice, which I will call out if I notice a lack of appetite/him being subdued, but it is pretty pricey.

I’ve booked the first appointment on Monday morning online for Thistle, and I’ve moved him inside into a brand new inside bunny pen, with new water bottle and food ball, etc. I haven’t actually touched Connies body or hutch (I’ve got a family member who is a doctor, who has cleared it all up with a clinical waste bag and gloves), so I’m making sure I’m the only one to enter his room, after washing my hands and changing clothes.

Thank you so much for everyone’s kind words and advice - I really appreciate it.

If you need info on disinfecting your existing housing, there are a couple of useful links:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rvhd2/

90% of any disinfection is cleaning, that is the most important aspect. After thorough cleaning of the area to remove any scale or residue, use Ark-Klens , which is a benzalkonium chloride disinfectant and as such it should be effective against EC and myxi, to routinely disinfect the housing. Periodically use Virkon (as an inorganic peroxygen compound) to kill any other viruses.

Anigene HLD4V has been confirmed as effective against RVHD2 at a dilution of 1:50. It is important that the correct dilution is used.

Note: Other benzalkonium chloride disinfectants and inorganic peroxygen compounds may be available, in addition to those named above.

Back