• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Extra love vibes for poor Truffle

Aww- poor Truffle. He is such a gorgeous handsome beautiful wee lad and everyone here sends him as many healing vibes and love vibes as they can. Hillian send their vibes too, although Henrys having a bit of trouble with taking metacam at the moment - he's decided he doesn't want to take medicine and trying to get him to take 4 measley ml of metacam is like trying to put an octopus in a string bag - so I know how difficult it is for you. I hope Truffle feels better tomorrow and apologises to beautiful Luther. I love Truffles markings.

Poor Truffle :( That's a long time to have such a sore eye. Tethra has had Syphilis a couple of times, but fortunately hasn't given it to any bonded partners (yet!). It's horrid isn't it, as it affects several different parts of the body. Tethra had the Penicillin injections daily and was on eye drops as well for 2 or 3 weeks I think. It makes it all so much harder for us and the rabbit, if they dislike being handled.

Sending him lots of vibes and I hope he starts to eat properly again soon.

I know bless him, he’s not been bothered by it at all though, just me doing stuff to him.
There was two or three severe instances of Luther attacking Truffle when we tried bonding at home, one time Truffle screamed, I think one of those instances might have done it. Or when Truffle got a sore eye the first time a few months ago and they lick each other’s eyes (eww!) maybe then.

Yeah it’s really nasty! Poor Luther had it go to his genitals from his face! But luckily Truffle only has face issues. Yes that’s exactly what Luther had, at home I had to inject him once a day for 7 days, I thought we’d have the same with Truffle and I discussed with the vet about leaving the boys there a week because there is no way Truffle will let me do it without tipping him over the edge with stress. Luckily he came back and said they recommend now one jab a week for three weeks *phew*!

Yes exactly. I wish I could go back and tell myself when we got him to handle him more, we kick ourselves now because he’s hard to medicate, health check, nail clip and groom, unless he’s at the vets then you can do whatever lol!

Thank you so much. It makes me feel so much better knowing I’m not alone! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww- poor Truffle. He is such a gorgeous handsome beautiful wee lad and everyone here sends him as many healing vibes and love vibes as they can. Hillian send their vibes too, although Henrys having a bit of trouble with taking metacam at the moment - he's decided he doesn't want to take medicine and trying to get him to take 4 measley ml of metacam is like trying to put an octopus in a string bag - so I know how difficult it is for you. I hope Truffle feels better tomorrow and apologises to beautiful Luther. I love Truffles markings.

Aww thank you so much we really appreciate it!

Oh no poor Henry! What’s he done? That’s a shame metacam apparently is supposed to taste like honey so I’d think it would be nice for sweet toothed buns. I don’t envy you, 0.7 ml of septrin was bad enough to get in Truffle last week! I’m glad it’s not just me that has stroppy difficult buns.

The thought of an octopus and a string bag did make me giggle more than it should have haha!!
Thank you me too, I think it’s stress that’s made him not want to eat so avoiding more is key. Hopefully he’ll be a new bunny tomorrow morning, going to go in the back field now and get him some more grass .

Aww thank you, everyone when they meet him is amazed by how he doesn’t look real because he has super soft shiny fur hehe!

Oh ok! Thank you.

Haha oh dear, not sure that will happen :p well I’ll see if he’s better tomorrow morning as Sam thinks Luther did this too after the first injection and was better the next day (I think I’ve blanked it out!) . Otherwise I have your bunny smoothie or infacol to try next :)

Good luck xx

(email if I can help any more ...)

Aww thank you so much we really appreciate it!

Oh no poor Henry! What’s he done? That’s a shame metacam apparently is supposed to taste like honey so I’d think it would be nice for sweet toothed buns. I don’t envy you, 0.7 ml of septrin was bad enough to get in Truffle last week! I’m glad it’s not just me that has stroppy difficult buns.

The thought of an octopus and a string bag did make me giggle more than it should have haha!!
Thank you me too, I think it’s stress that’s made him not want to eat so avoiding more is key. Hopefully he’ll be a new bunny tomorrow morning, going to go in the back field now and get him some more grass .

Aww thank you, everyone when they meet him is amazed by how he doesn’t look real because he has super soft shiny fur hehe!

Aww I'm really pleased he's starting to eat some grass. That must be a big relief. Hopefully he'll be feeling more like his old self in the morning.

Aww I'm really pleased he's starting to eat some grass. That must be a big relief. Hopefully he'll be feeling more like his old self in the morning.

Thank you, yeah it is! It’s not as much as I’d like him to eat but it’s better than nothing. He didn’t even fight me at bedtime so he’s definitely feeling poopy :-(

Exactly, I’m hoping tomorrow he will have eaten more grass, hay or the leftover dinner I put to bed with them and be a new bun (that’s what I’m going to tell myself so I can sleep anyway lol!)

So this morning Truffle was good for his eye drop but to be honest I don’t think he has much fight at the moment.

All food in the hutch was gone but I can’t be sure what if any Truffle had or if it was all Luther.

I had to go this morning to feed a friends cat so on the way back I nipped into a Morrison’s and grabbed anything I thought might tempt him this morning, he still refuses his usual breakfast of pellets (of course Luther follows suit of his big brother!). So I got French beans, nannas, parsley, kale and apple & banana baby food.
Parsley didn’t even get a sniff, then I tried kale and we have a hit. He’s not had loads I’d say a small handful so far. I’m giving him some little and often so he’s not overwhelmed and I’ll reserve the other options for when he’s bored of kale. I know it’s not great because of calcium but I think him eating is key at the moment.

This is him still though, mopey in his castle. I hate seeing him like this :-( :-(

c32d397890921dc5fd34ef0bb4497f00.jpg

Oh Truffle! I was hoping you'd be firing on all cylinders by now!

How has he been doing this afternoon? I really hope he's starting to eat a bit more now.

Oh Truffle! I was hoping you'd be firing on all cylinders by now!

How has he been doing this afternoon? I really hope he's starting to eat a bit more now.

He’s not doing much to be honest, had a bit more kale a few hours ago. Went to Tesco and got greens he usually likes, greens, pac Choy, apple, spinach etc and nothing got him going, a few bits he thought about but then turned his nose up and just pushed me to go away.

I’ll go for a wonder in a bit to get some grass as that’s the only other thing he’s eaten a bit of.
I’ve been panicking it’s his gut flora and I’ve just read so many bad things about penicillin I think I’m probably overreacting, Sam isn’t as worried but I don’t know who’s right lol. Thought about getting some kind of pro-biotic but it’s a rock and a hard place because I’d have to syringe it and he stresses at it. Obviously if that’s his issue it would be worth it but if it’s not and he’s ok living on not a lot of food a few days I don’t want to stress him more for no reason.

I wish he could tell me!

He’s not doing much to be honest, had a bit more kale a few hours ago. Went to Tesco and got greens he usually likes, greens, pac Choy, apple, spinach etc and nothing got him going, a few bits he thought about but then turned his nose up and just pushed me to go away.

I’ll go for a wonder in a bit to get some grass as that’s the only other thing he’s eaten a bit of.
I’ve been panicking it’s his gut flora and I’ve just read so many bad things about penicillin I think I’m probably overreacting, Sam isn’t as worried but I don’t know who’s right lol. Thought about getting some kind of pro-biotic but it’s a rock and a hard place because I’d have to syringe it and he stresses at it. Obviously if that’s his issue it would be worth it but if it’s not and he’s ok living on not a lot of food a few days I don’t want to stress him more for no reason.

I wish he could tell me!

Topping up the vibes for him. If he’s not eating hardly anything I would ring and ask the vet if you should be syringe feeding him, he may need gut stimulants too if he’s not eating.

I wish he could tell me!

Injectable penicillin is very well tolerated and I have never had a rabbit react badly to it. I've had so many rabbits (fosters and my own) on it literally for years with no side effects :)

I wish he could tell me!

Difficult, as if he doesn't like syringes then he's not going to like being syringe-fed. However, I would try and do this in your shoes, as you don't want his stasis to progress. I use mashed up pellets and organic baby food.

You could try probiotics, but most vets agree they don't do any good as the rabbit's stomach is so acidic. They won't do any harm though.

I would keep up with the Infacol (did you get some?) as that can be a life-saver.

Lastly, call your vet and explain. You might need some gut motility drugs to get him going, or Ranitidine (Zantac) at the very least, to protect his stomach whilst he's not eating very much.

Hugs xx

Topping up the vibes for him. If he’s not eating hardly anything I would ring and ask the vet if you should be syringe feeding him, he may need gut stimulants too if he’s not eating.

This is it, I’m not sure how much food would be “acceptable” at the moment. The last time this happened he was off food for about a day maybe two after he was neutered but then he was ok, but after working in a vets I’m so panicky now!
Unfortunately my vets shuts at 6 so I can’t get anything until tomorrow now as I’m 30 mins away or so. Might ring though as you say.

Thank you x

Difficult, as if he doesn't like syringes then he's not going to like being syringe-fed. However, I would try and do this in your shoes, as you don't want his stasis to progress. I use mashed up pellets and organic baby food.

You could try probiotics, but most vets agree they don't do any good as the rabbit's stomach is so acidic. They won't do any harm though.

I would keep up with the Infacol (did you get some?) as that can be a life-saver.

Lastly, call your vet and explain. You might need some gut motility drugs to get him going, or Ranitidine (Zantac) at the very least, to protect his stomach whilst he's not eating very much.

Hugs xx

He doesn’t like anything that involves being held unfortunately and has a mad panic. I offered him some critical care in a bowl but he threw it lol!

Oh poo!! I forgot! I’ll go get some now and see if I can find some good grass as he was happy yesterday with grass.
Speaking of poop, this is his first poop of the day, small but I’m glad it’s not runny and that he’s had one just now so his guts are moving!

Unfortunately they shut at 6 so I can’t get or do anything until tomorrow, unless he’s an emergency then we will have to drive to the out of hours vets.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I swear he loves making me panic!! Xx

f0dfedb3e2fb0582db91dd9eb1c01392.png

Mini update, it’s dinner time for all the animals so I did the rabbit dinner in the usual place just so it’s normal. We threw Truffle some farmers greens and bits where he’s flumping under the radiator in the kitchen and Sam watched him turn down cabbage but eat a decent size bit of farmers greens leaf, followed by a second. I’m glad he’s interested in something other than kale that’s not full of calcium!

It’s weird because apparently it says online that sweet things and protein aren’t great for rabbits on penicillin and those are what he’s rejecting, plus anything that can be known to cause a bit of gas, beans, cabbage and broccoli etc. I swear he’s more clever than I give him credit lol.
Off to go find some nice grass, which after this heat wave isn’t easy as it’s all scorched. There’s a stream near us so I’m hoping for lush grass there!

Thank you everyone for the support it really means a lot <3 x

I'm glad he's passing some poo and is showing interest in eating a bit more of a variety. When you go to find some grass it'll be worth getting him some bramble leaves as well if you can as they're very good for bunny tummies.

Come on Truffle, please start eating more!

Back