• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy's head tilt journey

Well he's home and he's running around the house and eating as if nothing happened! Lilac on the other hand is fuming and has gone to sulk under the sofa [emoji23] maybe they operated on the wrong one lol. I've never seen an animal recover so quickly from an anaesthetic, I'm actually shocked but in a good way.

His left side (the down side) was worse, they wrote down exactly what was what with all his teeth, but there were also spurs on the right side, so we don't think it's exclusively linked to his tilt. Lilac had a dental in around March time and I got really strict with veg after that, but I think I've probably become a bit more lax recently. So definitely going to step that back up. He's not a big hay eater, he likes hay cookies and readigrass so I'll have to reduce the veg, give more hay based stuff and see how he goes. I always think I'm being kind by giving them the things they like but have to be stricter with myself for their benefit.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Wonderful to hear that he has recovered so well :D I hope Lilac gets over her sulk soon .

I'm very pleased to read your update. I hope that Lilac soon gets over her excursion.

Well he's home and he's running around the house and eating as if nothing happened! Lilac on the other hand is fuming and has gone to sulk under the sofa [emoji23] maybe they operated on the wrong one lol. I've never seen an animal recover so quickly from an anaesthetic, I'm actually shocked but in a good way.

His left side (the down side) was worse, they wrote down exactly what was what with all his teeth, but there were also spurs on the right side, so we don't think it's exclusively linked to his tilt. Lilac had a dental in around March time and I got really strict with veg after that, but I think I've probably become a bit more lax recently. So definitely going to step that back up. He's not a big hay eater, he likes hay cookies and readigrass so I'll have to reduce the veg, give more hay based stuff and see how he goes. I always think I'm being kind by giving them the things they like but have to be stricter with myself for their benefit.

Great news of such a splendid recovery!

I'm glad you've all the details about the dental :)

Another little update about my boy following his post op check last night. He's recovered so well, the vet showed me a picture of the ulcer they found on his tongue, it was quite bad! He must've been in some discomfort but hid it well. But no issues with eating, he's put on another 10 grams so he's finally over the 2kg mark [emoji16] I'm currently trialling different types of hay to see if I can get him to eat more than he currently does, so far green oat hay is a huge hit! [emoji23]

He's had a break from his physio exercises as I didn't want to bother him while he was recovering but he doesn't seem to be any the worse for it. The last couple of weeks he's also been trying to binky, something he's never done before. It doesn't quite work as he can't jump or he'll lose his balance, but he can run really fast now and he's storming about the house lol.

I hope I won't have to update this thread again for a while, he's had enough attention to last a lifetime! I'm just glad we persevered with him.

Another little update about my boy following his post op check last night. He's recovered so well, the vet showed me a picture of the ulcer they found on his tongue, it was quite bad! He must've been in some discomfort but hid it well. But no issues with eating, he's put on another 10 grams so he's finally over the 2kg mark [emoji16] I'm currently trialling different types of hay to see if I can get him to eat more than he currently does, so far green oat hay is a huge hit! [emoji23]

He's had a break from his physio exercises as I didn't want to bother him while he was recovering but he doesn't seem to be any the worse for it. The last couple of weeks he's also been trying to binky, something he's never done before. It doesn't quite work as he can't jump or he'll lose his balance, but he can run really fast now and he's storming about the house lol.

I hope I won't have to update this thread again for a while, he's had enough attention to last a lifetime! I'm just glad we persevered with him.

I’m so glad he is doing so well :love: green oat hay is a favourite here, too :thumb:

Well he must be doing well now dental wise, as that green oat hay isn't half stalky! :)

I am so glad to read this update. A binky eh? Some spirit there :D

Well he must be doing well now dental wise, as that green oat hay isn't half stalky! :)

I am so glad to read this update. A binky eh? Some spirit there :D
Haha they both loved it! Hopefully we can prevent a reoccurrence in future and he can carry on with his special binkying!

Well I spoke too soon about not wanting to update this thread again for a while, what a disaster! :cry:

I noticed a small red sore on Teddy's foot when he was lying down this morning about half a centimetre across. I was worried it was bumblefoot so I took him to the vet to have him checked out. I wasn't able to see my normal vet who knows him well. The vet I saw said she doesn't think it's bumblefoot, but it's linked with his head tilt - he favours his left side and therefore probably puts more pressure on his left rear foot *sigh*. I don't think he's had this issue for long at all, and it certainly isn't bothering him or stopping him getting around. I don't know why it's happened now when he's had his tilt for so long...

The vet recommended washing the area and putting sudocrem on twice a day and seeing how he gets on. She also advised me to confine him, which I am loathe to do. I still have their old cage, but it won't work for Teddy now that he has head tilt. For a start his accessible litter tray is huge and wouldn't fit in there. He also makes quite wide turns rather than the quick turns a normal bun can make, so the cage just isn't fit for purpose for him sadly. Confining him in general is also an issue because the less he moves, the stiffer he gets which causes him more problems. He's gaining weight nicely now that he's more mobile, he's not on any pain meds and he's generally a very happy bun! So confining him could risk all of that. I only really thought about this after processing everything the vet told me after I'd got home, so I didn't raise it at the time.

I've read another post on here where a bun caused himself a sore foot by zooming around on carpet, and I'm wondering if this is the case with Teddy. He's only recently started exploring the whole house and zooming up and down the hallway :roll: I've put some old dust sheets down in the hallway and in the other places where he likes to walk and sit, hoping that the softer surface will help him. The whole house is carpeted, which is potentially the 'best' surface for him as he slips and slides on any smooth surface.

I feel like we're in a bit of a catch 22, the more I let him run around the worse his foot could get, but the more I try to stop him the more joint and mobility issues he could get. Not to mention trying to confine one bun while the other wants to be free range! :lol: does anyone have any advice for a situation like this? I just want to force him to lie down until he's better :lol: my poor little Bear doesn't deserve yet more issues!

I'm sorry that Teddy has a sore hock issue. I think that people's opinions on how to treat sore hocks varies. In Teddy's case I would be loathe to prevent him exercising for the joint and mobility reasons you've stated. In my view it would be better to try to change the flooring to make it less likely to aggravate his poor foot. I think I would try the dust sheets first as you have already done.

I think that individual rabbits must vary in respect of how quickly the skin heals from sore hocks. I have had this issue with my Rexes in the past (lack of fur on the foot) and Tethra occasionally will get a slight sore on one or both of his hind hocks. Their accommodation is a shed with outside runs which have concrete flooring, which is very abrasive. I have wondered in the past whether or not to confine him to the shed when he has this, but in reality have only done so when it has been very wet outside. I have also never used any creams on his feet and they have always healed relatively quickly.

So what I'm trying to say is don't necessarily assume that Teddy's foot will just get worse. Personally I would just try the dust sheets and monitor how it is healing. Best wishes to him. As you say he doesn't deserve any other problems.

I'm sorry that Teddy has a sore hock issue. I think that people's opinions on how to treat sore hocks varies. In Teddy's case I would be loathe to prevent him exercising for the joint and mobility reasons you've stated. In my view it would be better to try to change the flooring to make it less likely to aggravate his poor foot. I think I would try the dust sheets first as you have already done.

I think that individual rabbits must vary in respect of how quickly the skin heals from sore hocks. I have had this issue with my Rexes in the past (lack of fur on the foot) and Tethra occasionally will get a slight sore on one or both of his hind hocks. Their accommodation is a shed with outside runs which have concrete flooring, which is very abrasive. I have wondered in the past whether or not to confine him to the shed when he has this, but in reality have only done so when it has been very wet outside. I have also never used any creams on his feet and they have always healed relatively quickly.

So what I'm trying to say is don't necessarily assume that Teddy's foot will just get worse. Personally I would just try the dust sheets and monitor how it is healing. Best wishes to him. As you say he doesn't deserve any other problems.
Thank you, I just want what's best for him and hope this is relatively minor as far as sore hocks go. I've read about rexes being prone to sore hocks just today, i never knew about any of this! Just hoping we caught it early and that it'll heal with minimal treatment.

Well I spoke too soon about not wanting to update this thread again for a while, what a disaster! :cry:

I noticed a small red sore on Teddy's foot when he was lying down this morning about half a centimetre across. I was worried it was bumblefoot so I took him to the vet to have him checked out. I wasn't able to see my normal vet who knows him well. The vet I saw said she doesn't think it's bumblefoot, but it's linked with his head tilt - he favours his left side and therefore probably puts more pressure on his left rear foot *sigh*. I don't think he's had this issue for long at all, and it certainly isn't bothering him or stopping him getting around. I don't know why it's happened now when he's had his tilt for so long...

The vet recommended washing the area and putting sudocrem on twice a day and seeing how he gets on. She also advised me to confine him, which I am loathe to do. I still have their old cage, but it won't work for Teddy now that he has head tilt. For a start his accessible litter tray is huge and wouldn't fit in there. He also makes quite wide turns rather than the quick turns a normal bun can make, so the cage just isn't fit for purpose for him sadly. Confining him in general is also an issue because the less he moves, the stiffer he gets which causes him more problems. He's gaining weight nicely now that he's more mobile, he's not on any pain meds and he's generally a very happy bun! So confining him could risk all of that. I only really thought about this after processing everything the vet told me after I'd got home, so I didn't raise it at the time.

I've read another post on here where a bun caused himself a sore foot by zooming around on carpet, and I'm wondering if this is the case with Teddy. He's only recently started exploring the whole house and zooming up and down the hallway :roll: I've put some old dust sheets down in the hallway and in the other places where he likes to walk and sit, hoping that the softer surface will help him. The whole house is carpeted, which is potentially the 'best' surface for him as he slips and slides on any smooth surface.

I feel like we're in a bit of a catch 22, the more I let him run around the worse his foot could get, but the more I try to stop him the more joint and mobility issues he could get. Not to mention trying to confine one bun while the other wants to be free range! :lol: does anyone have any advice for a situation like this? I just want to force him to lie down until he's better :lol: my poor little Bear doesn't deserve yet more issues!

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this.

Yes, carpet can be very abrasive on hocks. Vets often suggest sudocreme and although it's not something I would use, it seems to work.
There are other creams that might heal up the hock more quickly ..

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

I would cover the floor, as you are doing, with something quite soft - perhaps your dust sheet is soft, but I was thinking more of an old duvet cover. I wouldn't confine him and I would also be a bit circumspect about washing the hock too often.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this.

Yes, carpet can be very abrasive on hocks. Vets often suggest sudocreme and although it's not something I would use, it seems to work.
There are other creams that might heal up the hock more quickly ..

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

I would cover the floor, as you are doing, with something quite soft - perhaps your dust sheet is soft, but I was thinking more of an old duvet cover. I wouldn't confine him and I would also be a bit circumspect about washing the hock too often.
Thank you, I got some hibiscrub to clean it with (plus it's also good to have it in my first aid kit!). I'll try washing it once a day and putting the cream on two or three times a day. I'm lucky I work from home a lot at the moment, although am starting a new job soon and won't be around as much! I'll see how I get on with the sudocreme, I wasn't sure if it would dry it out? If that doesn't work I'll try the spray you suggest (the link for the cream doesn't work but I'm sure I could find it somewhere). I'll see if I have any old duvet sheets as well. My other half is going to think I'm mental when he comes home and sees all these sheets on the floor [emoji1787]

Thank you, I got some hibiscrub to clean it with (plus it's also good to have it in my first aid kit!). I'll try washing it once a day and putting the cream on two or three times a day. I'm lucky I work from home a lot at the moment, although am starting a new job soon and won't be around as much! I'll see how I get on with the sudocreme, I wasn't sure if it would dry it out? If that doesn't work I'll try the spray you suggest (the link for the cream doesn't work but I'm sure I could find it somewhere). I'll see if I have any old duvet sheets as well. My other half is going to think I'm mental when he comes home and sees all these sheets on the floor [emoji1787]

Ah right, I've had a check and I wonder if it's being discontinued?

It's here, but unavailable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrisons-Wellness-HealX-Soother-Topical/dp/B004TA2BR2

Or there's this one, but I'm not sure where you'd get it ..

http://www.smith-nephew.com/canada/products/advanced-wound-management/opsite--spray/

Possible relapse

Not a happy update, Teddy has started falling over again :( it started about a week ago, isn't getting much worse but equally isn't getting better. Sometimes he does it when he leans over too far, other times he's just standing there and falls almost as if someone has pushed him. He saw my local vet for a checkup on his teeth and I mentioned it, so he was put on antibiotics and painkillers. There are no signs of a recurrence of any ear infection, no raised temperature or anything. I've booked an appointment with the rescue centre vet as I wonder whether he needs a steroid injection as this was the only thing that worked for him before. I'm just at a loss as to why it's recurred although I know it's not beyond the realms of possibility that head tilt can recur. I just want to catch it early, whatever 'it' may be! Will update further when he's been to the vet tomorrow.

Not a happy update, Teddy has started falling over again :( it started about a week ago, isn't getting much worse but equally isn't getting better. Sometimes he does it when he leans over too far, other times he's just standing there and falls almost as if someone has pushed him. He saw my local vet for a checkup on his teeth and I mentioned it, so he was put on antibiotics and painkillers. There are no signs of a recurrence of any ear infection, no raised temperature or anything. I've booked an appointment with the rescue centre vet as I wonder whether he needs a steroid injection as this was the only thing that worked for him before. I'm just at a loss as to why it's recurred although I know it's not beyond the realms of possibility that head tilt can recur. I just want to catch it early, whatever 'it' may be! Will update further when he's been to the vet tomorrow.

Poor lad. I cant remember if he has had a CT scan ?

Back