• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy's head tilt journey

I think I'm guilty of trying to hide his head tilt when I take photos of him which is why I don't have loads that really show it. Have to remember it's useful for others to see!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

It's also a part of him, and you love the whole of him :love:

Little update on Teddy for you. He had a routine physio appointment yesterday and he was such a little handful! In a way it's great to see because he's clearly feeling better in himself but on the other hand it makes life more difficult for the physiotherapist! She was pleased with him overall and said he appeared brighter. We have a few new exercises to try which will challenge him a little more.

He's also started moulting which he'd never done before so I do think he's feeling better as someone on here said they don't always moult if their immune system is compromised. It's not a tidy moult at all, it's more of a blown coat. I'm treating both with Ivermectin as he has a very dandruffy coat. The vet said he didn't have mites but now that he's moulting it's much more visible so thought it would be worthwhile treating them and if he's still got dandruff after that then I'll pop him back to the vet for a second opinion.

In terms of diet, I have bought some fibafirst and feed him one of those perhaps every other day (I can't really feed him more than that because Lilac demands one too!). They're also both getting a bit of readigrass every day as well which goes down well. I try to feed him some extra nuggets when Lilac isn't looking, and I'm also giving him some baby food in a syringe which he LOVES. I just hope he can get a bit of weight on him. The only thing I haven't tried yet is junior nuggets. I'll see how he goes in the next month or so. He spent a while on antibiotics and then steroids so I always have a concern that those could've caused some damage to him internally which is why he can't put weight on. I'll certainly be speaking to the vet if he doesn't gain any weight soon.

Both rabbits have run of the house but Teddy doesn't come out of 'his' room generally. I've tried to put him in another room and he's always turned into a bit of a mess, like he has forgotten how to walk and doesnt have any confidence in himself. Part of this could be the different environment, another part could be the head tilt itself making it more difficult to find his bearings, and also his proprioception, which was poor before the physio sessions. However today I put him in the living room and he seemed much more confident in himself and moved around more easily. Another hopefully positive move for him. He's been so up and down since I adopted him so I really hope we've turned a corner. He tends to throw a spanner in the works just when I think he's doing well but fingers crossed not this time!

Last edited:
Good to see this positive update. It sounds as though he is making good progress. Regarding his weight, I'm presuming that he's maintaining his weight, just not gaining? If so, then I think that is very reassuring. If he's currently moulting then that could also be putting a strain on his immune system and his body will be using more energy to cope with it.

I think you're both doing really well managing his condition:)

Little update on Teddy for you. He had a routine physio appointment yesterday and he was such a little handful! In a way it's great to see because he's clearly feeling better in himself but on the other hand it makes life more difficult for the physiotherapist! She was pleased with him overall and said he appeared brighter. We have a few new exercises to try which will challenge him a little more.

He's also started moulting which he'd never done before so I do think he's feeling better as someone on here said they don't always moult if their immune system is compromised. It's not a tidy moult at all, it's more of a blown coat. I'm treating both with Ivermectin as he has a very dandruffy coat. The vet said he didn't have mites but now that he's moulting it's much more visible so thought it would be worthwhile treating them and if he's still got dandruff after that then I'll pop him back to the vet for a second opinion.

In terms of diet, I have bought some fibafirst and feed him one of those perhaps every other day (I can't really feed him more than that because Lilac demands one too!). They're also both getting a bit of readigrass every day as well which goes down well. I try to feed him some extra nuggets when Lilac isn't looking, and I'm also giving him some baby food in a syringe which he LOVES. I just hope he can get a bit of weight on him. The only thing I haven't tried yet is junior nuggets. I'll see how he goes in the next month or so. He spent a while on antibiotics and then steroids so I always have a concern that those could've caused some damage to him internally which is why he can't put weight on. I'll certainly be speaking to the vet if he doesn't gain any weight soon.

Both rabbits have run of the house but Teddy doesn't come out of 'his' room generally. I've tried to put him in another room and he's always turned into a bit of a mess, like he has forgotten how to walk and doesnt have any confidence in himself. Part of this could be the different environment, another part could be the head tilt itself making it more difficult to find his bearings, and also his proprioception, which was poor before the physio sessions. However today I put him in the living room and he seemed much more confident in himself and moved around more easily. Another hopefully positive move for him. He's been so up and down since I adopted him so I really hope we've turned a corner. He tends to throw a spanner in the works just when I think he's doing well but fingers crossed not this time!

Wonderful to hear this update on little Ted :D

I smiled when you said he was a little handful, I must say :)

If you could get a few more fibafirst into him it would be good. Though I understand the problem with Lilac!

I don't think that the antibiotics or steroids would have prevented him putting weight on. If anything, steroids make rabbits eat more so that would have helped.

It's good he's moulting though - he's obviously got energy reserves there to be able to do this, which is fab :)

He sounds such a sweetie and you are working wonders with him :love:

Thanks both, yes he is maintaining weight, he lost about 400-500grams when he first got ill and I'd like to get a bit of that back on him if possible. He eats well but ears more slowly so makes it tricky sometimes to get the fibafirst into him. Unless it's dipped in baby food first in which case he's all over it [emoji23] [emoji23]

I'm very fond of him, I never imagined having to deal with all of this when I adopted him but he's a little star.

Ooh I should also add I've started feeding him Oxbow joint support tablets. Not sure if anyone on here has tried them but they support the joints. A friend of mine tried them with her elderly bun and they have made a big difference, so I figured they couldn't hurt for him! They're more like a tiny rabbit sized cookie and he loves them!

Ooh I should also add I've started feeding him Oxbow joint support tablets. Not sure if anyone on here has tried them but they support the joints. A friend of mine tried them with her elderly bun and they have made a big difference, so I figured they couldn't hurt for him! They're more like a tiny rabbit sized cookie and he loves them!

A few of my previous Rabbits had them and they loved them too ! The Rabbits were all also on medication so I dont know how much the Oxbow JSTs helped, but they certainly didn't do any harm.

It sounds as though Teddy is coping well and in good spirits, despite his problems xx

Thanks both, yes he is maintaining weight, he lost about 400-500grams when he first got ill and I'd like to get a bit of that back on him if possible. He eats well but ears more slowly so makes it tricky sometimes to get the fibafirst into him. Unless it's dipped in baby food first in which case he's all over it [emoji23] [emoji23]

I'm very fond of him, I never imagined having to deal with all of this when I adopted him but he's a little star.

This made me laugh!

You do look after him well, the lucky little solider :)

So today's the day Teddy goes in for his dental. He's currently munching away on his breakfast none the wiser. I feel really worried, much more than I would normally, I don't know why. This might be a recurring issue for him because of his tilt. He's been really active the last few days, more than he's ever been since I had him, so I'm keeping everything crossed that this is a simple one off and he'll soon be back to normal.

So today's the day Teddy goes in for his dental. He's currently munching away on his breakfast none the wiser. I feel really worried, much more than I would normally, I don't know why. This might be a recurring issue for him because of his tilt. He's been really active the last few days, more than he's ever been since I had him, so I'm keeping everything crossed that this is a simple one off and he'll soon be back to normal.

Sending loads of vibes for Teddy today. I know that you will worry about him, but it's a plus that he is being active. I hope the dental goes well and that he's soon home recovering with you.

I've got everything crossed too, that he's absolutely fine and remains his chirpy little self :)

Hope all goes well for Teddy today xx

I would say ask the vet to give fluids for him during and after his op, as it will help him come round faster.

My vet doesn't routinely do this, and it's an extra charge, but well worth it :)

Just heard from the vet, he's woken up and is okay to be picked up in a few hours. Will ask when I collect him whether it was solely the 'down' side of his face where the issue was. If it was then I guess it could linked to his paralysis and head tilt rather than just bad luck, but we'll see.

I'm pleased that Teddy has come though his dental OK and hope you'll be able to collect him soon.

Just heard from the vet, he's woken up and is okay to be picked up in a few hours. Will ask when I collect him whether it was solely the 'down' side of his face where the issue was. If it was then I guess it could linked to his paralysis and head tilt rather than just bad luck, but we'll see.

So glad to hear he's woken up!

I always ask the vet where they main dental problems are, and in fact I always get shown inside the mouth so I can note and remember for another time :)

Well he's home and he's running around the house and eating as if nothing happened! Lilac on the other hand is fuming and has gone to sulk under the sofa [emoji23] maybe they operated on the wrong one lol. I've never seen an animal recover so quickly from an anaesthetic, I'm actually shocked but in a good way.

His left side (the down side) was worse, they wrote down exactly what was what with all his teeth, but there were also spurs on the right side, so we don't think it's exclusively linked to his tilt. Lilac had a dental in around March time and I got really strict with veg after that, but I think I've probably become a bit more lax recently. So definitely going to step that back up. He's not a big hay eater, he likes hay cookies and readigrass so I'll have to reduce the veg, give more hay based stuff and see how he goes. I always think I'm being kind by giving them the things they like but have to be stricter with myself for their benefit.

Back