• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi all **New Update**

s.tephen

Young Bun
We have just bought my daughter these 2 rabbits for her birthday, we get them on the 19th when we return from holiday, so I’m guessing that means I have actually bought myself 2 rabbits

They are mini lion heads, we went to see the breeder and held them and they are very placid and love being brushed

She’s called them Poppy and Rosie

The hutch and the run are in the garden awaiting assembly I just need to get a bit of 6” plastic ducting so they can commute between them

Have already spent a small fortune on dopey toys and things to keep them amused along with a big cable reel that I picked up from the road side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
c605d112d1b2898e342cc98ffa84f5fc.png

Aww they are cute, welcome to the world of rabbits, there are loads of threads on here to brush up your bunny lingo :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi all

Received some devastating news today, our 2 incoming bunnies have passed away, apparently them and around 6 other rabbits died from eating some bad fresh hay from a farm shop, the breeder is left with just 1 baby and 1 adult who are all seriously ill at this time

My 4 year old picked these rabbits out personally and we where due to collect them next Sunday, I have just finished assembling their new hutch and run set up

I am currently on holiday and have spent the day looking for 2 x 11-12 week mini lion heads, 1 white and 1 tan of matching sex to replace them for Sunday. I know this sounds very cold but I can’t bear to tell my daughter the truth

We have a lead from a lady in Billericay called Jen who has some advertised on pets4homes, which I would not normally use but the gravity of the situation has made me do things outside of my normal, also another lady has a male and female in Canvey but the head has a white stripe and they would need neutering

My daughter may be 4 but she’s not silly, she’s already asking questions about our activities today due to the furious texting, talks about the “Bugs” and constant emailing

I know the breeder is devastated, the vet thinks it was rat pee on the hay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Received some devastating news today, our 2 incoming bunnies have passed away, apparently them and around 6 other rabbits died from eating some bad fresh hay from a farm shop, the breeder is left with just 1 baby and 1 adult who are all seriously ill at this time

My 4 year old picked these rabbits out personally and we where due to collect them next Sunday, I have just finished assembling their new hutch and run set up

I am currently on holiday and have spent the day looking for 2 x 11-12 week mini lion heads, 1 white and 1 tan of matching sex to replace them for Sunday. I know this sounds very cold but I can’t bear to tell my daughter the truth

We have a lead from a lady in Billericay called Jen who has some advertised on pets4homes, which I would not normally use but the gravity of the situation has made me do things outside of my normal, also another lady has a male and female in Canvey but the head has a white stripe and they would need neutering

My daughter may be 4 but she’s not silly, she’s already asking questions about our activities today due to the furious texting, talks about the “Bugs” and constant emailing

I'm really sorry to hear this news :( I don't really know but I would struggle to believe that a whole litter could die from that. I would suspect more like vhd or something but hopefully a more experienced member can offer some advice

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry to hear this news :( I don't really know but I would struggle to believe that a whole litter could die from that. I would suspect more like vhd or something but hopefully a more experienced member can offer some advice

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Yea I agree... Seems unlikely..

I'm really sorry though :( I hope you can sort something out

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I agree with other comments. I think it's much more likely that the rabbits have died of a virus e.g. vhd 1 or 2.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but my advice would be to explain the situation to your little girl. I also think it will be more acceptable to her if you say that the rabbits became very sick, rather than had rotten hay. Then I would take your little girl to a rabbit rescue, where she will have a large selection to choose from. The rabbits will all be fully vaccinated, so no danger of a virus. They would also be neutered, so no possibility of a fight when the rabbits become around 4 months old, which could mean that they would need to be separated and re-bonded after neutering. Rescues also have quite young rabbits.

If you decide to consider this I would recommend that you contact Wendy in Eastwood http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?ContID=4441. A couple of forum members, including myself, have experience of this rescue.

There are very many rabbits dying due to VHD2, and those that are not vaccinated don't stand a chance. I have to say it's more likely to be the VHD2 virus than anything else, in my opinion.

I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Here's some info on RHD2 - you should be very careful to ask about any deaths when you collect rabbits from a breeder, as otherwise you risk bringing the virus into your home and also to the hutch. You would have to go through a serious sterilising routine and possibly not adopt rabbits for a good long while which would be very sad for your daughter.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-July-2018

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

The only way to protect rabbits is to get them vaccinated. This can be done at 10 weeks of age for the Filavac RHD2. For the Myxo-combined vaccine that can be done at 5 weeks.

I would strongly urge you to have your rabbits vaccinated as soon as they arrive with you.

I agree with other comments. I think it's much more likely that the rabbits have died of a virus e.g. vhd 1 or 2.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but my advice would be to explain the situation to your little girl. I also think it will be more acceptable to her if you say that the rabbits became very sick, rather than had rotten hay. Then I would take your little girl to a rabbit rescue, where she will have a large selection to choose from. The rabbits will all be fully vaccinated, so no danger of a virus. They would also be neutered, so no possibility of a fight when the rabbits become around 4 months old, which could mean that they would need to be separated and re-bonded after neutering. Rescues also have quite young rabbits.

If you decide to consider this I would recommend that you contact Wendy in Eastwood http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?ContID=4441. A couple of forum members, including myself, have experience of this rescue.

Thank you for your replies, I’m am just going on what I was told by the breeder

Thank you for the link I will speak with them Monday and take it from there

There are very many rabbits dying due to VHD2, and those that are not vaccinated don't stand a chance. I have to say it's more likely to be the VHD2 virus than anything else, in my opinion.

I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Here's some info on RHD2 - you should be very careful to ask about any deaths when you collect rabbits from a breeder, as otherwise you risk bringing the virus into your home and also to the hutch. You would have to go through a serious sterilising routine and possibly not adopt rabbits for a good long while which would be very sad for your daughter.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-July-2018

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/infectious-disease/rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

The only way to protect rabbits is to get them vaccinated. This can be done at 10 weeks of age for the Filavac RHD2. For the Myxo-combined vaccine that can be done at 5 weeks.

I would strongly urge you to have your rabbits vaccinated as soon as they arrive with you.

You can also have filavac at 5 weeks but you would need to repeat it after 10 weeks.

I agree with this. I’m so sorry about the rabbits:cry:

Thank you, this is all new to us, I had a rabbits 40 years ago, that lived in hutches the size of shoe boxes, got a carrot a day and lived for 10 years,

So far I have spent an absolute fortune and On a chicken coup style hutch and a big run with adjoining tubes etc plus all the other bits of junk that my daughter has found in the range and pets at home which will probably not ever get used, but hey ho

I think i will be going to the rescue and having a chat with them, I have always had rescue dogs and the thought of a rescue rabbit had never really crossed my mind before

Thank you, this is all new to us, I had a rabbits 40 years ago, that lived in hutches the size of shoe boxes, got a carrot a day and lived for 10 years,

So far I have spent an absolute fortune and On a chicken coup style hutch and a big run with adjoining tubes etc plus all the other bits of junk that my daughter has found in the range and pets at home which will probably not ever get used, but hey ho

I think i will be going to the rescue and having a chat with them, I have always had rescue dogs and the thought of a rescue rabbit had never really crossed my mind before

That's a brilliant idea! You'll save an awful lot of money, and be helping a couple of unwanted rabbits too :D

I'm sorry the babies were wiped out, it's a shame the breeder didn't get a postmortem done to find out for definite...

I think if you really don't want to have the chat with her about what is essentially death then stay on the hunt for ones that look the same, however you risk not finding any with the same 'requirements' in the time frame you have not to mention the added stress doing this. I'm sure as the intelligent four year old you talk about she might actually understand and although be sad initially be quite mature that although they've gone to bunny heaven you both have the chance to rescue a rabbit who needs help because other people haven't looked after them before so they need a lovely new house, do you think they would like the house we have ready for a rabbit? I don't know something along them lines, google might help lol.

I got my two from breeders and I wouldn't do it again to be honest. I have spent good money on all the vaccines and the male to be neutered first off (240ish?). I have spent just under £200 on a cecal issue with the female she's had since the day the breeder gave her me which she didn't tell me about and after her spay the other day (at £80) I then spent a further £160 the day after because she wasn't eating or pooping so was readmitted. It's just not money that's floating around and I'm well aware would be money in my pocket seeing as all this is done with rescue rabbits.

Whichever you decide your bunnies sound like they're going to be very lucky with you!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is so sad, I'm really sorry.

Our ds is a little older (5) but I think I would be honest in a gentle way which they would understand. I think sometimes they are capable of understanding more than we think they can. Perhaps they could help you look for some rescue rabbits and see if there's any they would like to provide a lovely new home for.

It's probably been mentioned that those from a rescue will have already been vaccinated and neutered, which would hopefully reduce the likelihood of any issues.

Good luck xx

Thanks

Today is a new day and we have had time to think more deeply about it, I will speak to the rescue tomorrow and I think we will all go see them when we get back

I won’t say anything for now as it may spoil her holiday

Back