• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom Pregnancy???

kazza378

New Kit
I know, it may sound strange, but do rabbits have these???

I have two dwarf lop sisters, Tilly and Dilly. They are approx 6 months old. Dilly has been behaving very strangely the last couple of days, taking mouthfuls of hay from their play box and putting it in the litter tray. She really busied herself doing this yesterday. Tilly seems to stay out of the way.

At first I though maybe she was cold :oops: but I came home from work today and the litter tray now has lots of white fur in there aswell...

Is she nesting?? Or if not, what could it be?? I'm quite worried and as these are my first rabbits, I'm not sure what I should do.

Any ideas??

Karen xxx

Yes, its not uncommon for unspayed females to build nests. They look quite funny walking around with mouth fulls of straw stick out the side like whiskers! They also pluck fur from their chest to line the nest. Hopefully she will soon get board of the nest and forget about it.

Once spayed behaviour like this usually stops.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin.

Yes, she looks so strange walking round with so much straw in her mouth!!!

Because the nest is in the litter tray, which they both share, should I throw it away, or leave it until she is less interested???

Karen xxx

i would thow it away mine have phantom pregances this is usually sign they want mating but i either mess up the nest or thow it away and never seem bothered again untill another urge to want babies lol
becky

It can be a common problem with un spayed does but is natural and is part of nature. The long term solution if it continues, is to have them spayed. The nests can be cleared away. val

Back