• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Council won't accept 4 rabbits

C9FAL

Young Bun
We are being housed with the council and they have called to say they will not accept 4 rabbits. We are only allowed 2. I really really do not know what to do [emoji24] I cannot give up any of my bunnies. I'm heartbroken.

We are being housed with the council and they have called to say they will not accept 4 rabbits. We are only allowed 2. I really really do not know what to do [emoji24] I cannot give up any of my bunnies. I'm heartbroken.
I think it would be worth going back to them and ask them to rethink.
The policy doesn't make sense in setting a specific number of 2 - what if you were to have 2 x Giant Continentals weighing 8kg each vs 4 x dwarf nethies weighing 0.8kg each?
I understand that they need to set some rule (otherwise people may get a little silly and there is the welfare of the animals to consider - vs size of house).
Looking at some Council policies on the web, here's an example: housing staff should use their discretion based on the number of animals the tenant wants to keep, the type of animal and the type of accommodation needed for the small pet, the size of the property and the number of people living in the property
when deciding whether to give permission or not. In order to keep the number of animals kept to a reasonable number, the council stresses the
importance of neutering animals or, where appropriate, keeping them in same sex combinations.

If you don't have any joy it's worth involving your local councillor. I think there's a better understanding these days of how pets are part of the family and how caring for pets have health benefits.
Do you have a copy of the housing policy for the Council where it says how many pets you may have? Looking online at North Lanarkshire the only mention of pets I could fins was that as a tenant you should 'keep control of your pets' but it doesn't state how many you can have.
Good luck, I hope they can find a way to be reasonable.

Are they all bonded together? Maybe you could say there's no way they could be split? Definitely think you should challenge it :( is it long term housing?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I think it would be worth going back to them and ask them to rethink.
The policy doesn't make sense in setting a specific number of 2 - what if you were to have 2 x Giant Continentals weighing 8kg each vs 4 x dwarf nethies weighing 0.8kg each?
I understand that they need to set some rule (otherwise people may get a little silly and there is the welfare of the animals to consider - vs size of house).
Looking at some Council policies on the web, here's an example: housing staff should use their discretion based on the number of animals the tenant wants to keep, the type of animal and the type of accommodation needed for the small pet, the size of the property and the number of people living in the property
when deciding whether to give permission or not. In order to keep the number of animals kept to a reasonable number, the council stresses the
importance of neutering animals or, where appropriate, keeping them in same sex combinations.

If you don't have any joy it's worth involving your local councillor. I think there's a better understanding these days of how pets are part of the family and how caring for pets have health benefits.
Do you have a copy of the housing policy for the Council where it says how many pets you may have? Looking online at North Lanarkshire the only mention of pets I could fins was that as a tenant you should 'keep control of your pets' but it doesn't state how many you can have.
Good luck, I hope they can find a way to be reasonable.
I said to them what even though they don't get running around the house constantly are in a pen and she said yes.

I was in tears at work and phoned my other half bawling my eyes out.

We have had our application in to them for months and 3 weeks before we are due to be house with them they now tell us. I said to her, why did no one tell us this long ago? She said oh we had to wait on a reference coming in from your letting agent. I've no idea what their reference has got to do with the animals we have right enough.

Are they all bonded together? Maybe you could say there's no way they could be split? Definitely think you should challenge it :( is it long term housing?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
2 are and we are trying to bond them all. One has just been neutered so he's is being kept out of it for a few weeks. Yeah we will be in this house for good hopefully.

If you challenge it and they change their mind definitely make sure you've got it in writing. You need an assurance, you don't want them turning around later and saying you have to get rid of them and then you'd be stuck unless you could move at short notice I guess.

If you challenge it and they change their mind definitely make sure you've got it in writing. You need an assurance, you don't want them turning around later and saying you have to get rid of them and then you'd be stuck unless you could move at short notice I guess.
I didn't think about that. Thank you.

We won't be able to move at short notice. We are being housed by the council as we have been in 2 private lets and had nothing but bad luck. The first she wanted to sell the house after us being in 6 months and this one we have been in a year and she has served her notice. We are being housed by the council so we have a secure permanent home and the same thing doesn't keep happening with private lets. All we want is a house to make a home and we can finally settle down.

Normally I wouldn't advocate being sneaky but I really can't imagine any council being in the position to monitor any tenants pets that closely unless they are causing a nuisance in any way. I imagine they are obliged to give notice of any visits in which case time to find a spot to hide 2 of your bunnies. Realistically - do the council ever visit tenants unless there is a problem. I honestly don't think they'll ever know you have 4 bunnies as long as you are exemplary tenants in all other ways

Realistically - do the council ever visit tenants unless there is a problem. I honestly don't think they'll ever know you have 4 bunnies as long as you are exemplary tenants in all other ways

They will (or ‘should’!) do a settling in visit within a few weeks of you moving into the tenancy. There is always a chance they will visit at other times but you don’t have to let them in the house unless by prior arrangement / agreement. What type of property have you been offered C9FAL? I know pets aren’t allowed in properties with communal main entrances (eg high rise flats, blocks of flats etc). I’m pretty sure there isn’t a definite policy on rabbits and it’s probably at the discretion of the individual housing advisers so it may be something you could appeal. I know there are definitely NLC tenants with several animals including rabbits.

Normally I wouldn't advocate being sneaky but I really can't imagine any council being in the position to monitor any tenants pets that closely unless they are causing a nuisance in any way. I imagine they are obliged to give notice of any visits in which case time to find a spot to hide 2 of your bunnies. Realistically - do the council ever visit tenants unless there is a problem. I honestly don't think they'll ever know you have 4 bunnies as long as you are exemplary tenants in all other ways

I absolutely agree with this. They may visit once after you have moved in but after that they don't visit you unless there is a problem. Who knows what people have in their bedrooms, I do often wonder. Hereon the IOW they don't mind how many you have outside but they are worried they will damage the walls etc when inside. Cats of course are allowed and I have seen what a mess they can make in a house. And you can have a couple of dogs. They have no proper standards where pets are concerned. Don't give up 2 of your bunnies.

Hi there 👋

We bought a 2 bedroom ex local authority flat which we’ve lived in for 2 years. It very much depends on the council, but I agree with what some others have said. It’s highly unlikely that the council will visit more than once/ twice and they are likely to provide notice. So hide them, the hay and the poo 💩

Councils and private landlords provide housing to some people that are far, far. less respectable than 4 little rabbits (I have first hand experience)- so I’d just hide them.

Pm me of you want x

Last edited:
This is exactly what my other half wants to do. He said none of them are going anywhere and they will give us notice of when they are coming so we can put 2 in a carrier and in the car or something for 10 minutes or so until they leave. Unfortunately we have made the decision to probably give up our guinnies but they will be going to a living home at his parents house [emoji24]

They will (or ‘should’!) do a settling in visit within a few weeks of you moving into the tenancy. There is always a chance they will visit at other times but you don’t have to let them in the house unless by prior arrangement / agreement. What type of property have you been offered C9FAL? I know pets aren’t allowed in properties with communal main entrances (eg high rise flats, blocks of flats etc). I’m pretty sure there isn’t a definite policy on rabbits and it’s probably at the discretion of the individual housing advisers so it may be something you could appeal. I know there are definitely NLC tenants with several animals including rabbits.
It's a house were going in to. I said that to my other half. Other people have loads if animals. I was going to phone up and ask about pets but and just say I was querying.

I absolutely agree with this. They may visit once after you have moved in but after that they don't visit you unless there is a problem. Who knows what people have in their bedrooms, I do often wonder. Hereon the IOW they don't mind how many you have outside but they are worried they will damage the walls etc when inside. Cats of course are allowed and I have seen what a mess they can make in a house. And you can have a couple of dogs. They have no proper standards where pets are concerned. Don't give up 2 of your bunnies.
My other half said none of them are going anyway. I told the council that they are in a pen. It's not like they are running about the house when we aren't there.

Hi there [emoji112]

We bought a 2 bedroom ex local authority flat which we’ve lived in for 2 years. It very much depends on the council, but I agree with what some others have said. It’s highly unlikely that the council will visit more than once/ twice and they are likely to provide notice. So hide them, the hay and the poo [emoji90]

Councils and private landlords provide housing to some people that are far, far. less respectable than 4 little rabbits (I have first hand experience)- so I’d just hide them.

Pm me of you want x
We have made the decision to keep all 4 and just some how hide 2 when they come for a visit. Just need to remember and keep hiding the same ones lol.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I tried to get housed by the council and was told to 'get rid of' all my rabbits despite having medical evidence provided that they are therapeutic for the conditions I suffer from. It was a nightmare all around and made me even more sickly. I'm still living in less-than-ideal circumstances but won't give up my rabbits for anything.

Pardon me, could someone please explain to me in few words what that "council" is and does?

Council = local government. There are county councils and town councils. Councils own housing stock, which they rent out to people, so in effect they act as landlords.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I tried to get housed by the council and was told to 'get rid of' all my rabbits despite having medical evidence provided that they are therapeutic for the conditions I suffer from. It was a nightmare all around and made me even more sickly. I'm still living in less-than-ideal circumstances but won't give up my rabbits for anything.
That's a shame. I'm so sorry to hear that, how horrible! The council are quite strict there I've realised! My best friend lives in Norfolk!

Back