• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weather proof toys

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So I set up the boys new run yesterday and managed to connect it to their hutch without cutting my fingers off, and they love it.

But, it’s much bigger than their previous play space (it’s the 8x4 run from runaround) and looks a bit sparse.

Can anyone recommend any good weather proof tunnels/toys etc?

The plan is to give them unlimited access from about 7am to 10/11pm (we live in a mid terrace house so don’t want to annoy the neighbours) and it would be nice to have some stuff that can just be left out for them that won’t be ruined by the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, something that I've found works well is a child's sandpit with a lid. We have one of those turtle ones, filled with play sand that they love, which I can just put the lid on if the weather is bad x

I have a piece of drainage pipe to use as a tunnel. It was free from a building site, they are generally happy to give you off cuts that they can’t use anyway.

Also a plastic table & stool set from Ikea which they hop on or sit under, and a dog bed with grass grown in it. You could use any sort of rabbit friendly plants / herbs etc I suppose though. To be honest the grass doesn’t tend to last long once they get at it but it’s easy to take the dog bed out and regrow some!

Plastic flowerpots :D Something to stand on is a must. I've got the large playsticks from P@H which they really like, and a couple of plastic balls with bells in (bells not necessary, OH just thought they might like something with sound). Otherwise plenty of sticks to chew go down well in our household :)

Thanks all.

Will look at stocking them up with stuff.

Today is their first day with unlimited outside access (to the run) while everyone is out.

Although it’s probably too wet for them to try and get up to any mischief

The boys seem unsure about the run at the moment.

But not sure whether they just need to get used to it, or it’s a bit boring and they’d rather sit in the litter tray munching on hay

I hope they're still deemed to be okay but I have 3 of those polyester type tunnels which velcro together they love and the wooden playsticks they like to go on and under.

I've also recently added a hay bale which they love to jump on and off (although obv not weatherproof) and also a large storage tray with grass grown in it but unlike casco I've put some bars across mine so they can only munch on the grass which grows above the bars as it's too heavy to be moving in and out the run to regrow seed.

Balls with/out bells and maybe a treatball would be good too and any hardy wood toys like willow which are likely to be demolished before the weather gets to them anyway?

My next idea is to get a few small hanging baskets and plant some herbs/ salads maybe in them so if they stretch tall they can have a nibble on that and some more of those playsticks.

To make it look less boring you could also decorate it a bit for yourself. I've added some bunting on the outside of mine which I think looks nice, I've also seen people put a little white decorative picket fence along the outside too which I want to do.

Could tarpaulin or sheet of plastic an option to keep weather out, just thinking about the winter months so it's still useable especially when it's just drizzling?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back