• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rose leaves, are they ok?

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

So I know generally leaves from roses are ok to give bunnies or to dry for winter forage.

However my question comes from this;
I have been buying mark down roses from Tesco and been plucking and drying the petals to use in the wedding in two years time. I’m on my third lot of bunches now and today it hit me, why am I wasting all these leaves when I can be drying them for winter forage for the boys!

Here’s the thing, I’ve rinsed them and rubbed the leaves clean. Are they going to be ok to feed when dry or is potential pesticide etc too great of a risk? Or is that not really a problem with bought flowers?

Thank you :)

4a5c17df624377e7a57b45daed7ff6e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They might be OK , but to be honest I wouldn't risk it. Roses will be attacked by a variety of insects and I can imagine that to be able to produce perfect flowers, the growers will be using pesticides and some if not all of will be systemic. Even some of the fungicides used can be quite nasty.

Hi everyone,

So I know generally leaves from roses are ok to give bunnies or to dry for winter forage.

However my question comes from this;
I have been buying mark down roses from Tesco and been plucking and drying the petals to use in the wedding in two years time. I’m on my third lot of bunches now and today it hit me, why am I wasting all these leaves when I can be drying them for winter forage for the boys!

Here’s the thing, I’ve rinsed them and rubbed the leaves clean. Are they going to be ok to feed when dry or is potential pesticide etc too great of a risk? Or is that not really a problem with bought flowers?

Thank you :)

4a5c17df624377e7a57b45daed7ff6e2.jpg

You know, I did what you've done - clean off shop bought roses, but I found my buns reacted differently to them than to my own rose leaves. I always thought that it was the pesticides that I just couldn't remove and it put them off.

You could risk it. Personally I wouldn't xx

They might be OK , but to be honest I wouldn't risk it. Roses will be attacked by a variety of insects and I can imagine that to be able to produce perfect flowers, the growers will be using pesticides and some if not all of will be systemic. Even some of the fungicides used can be quite nasty.

You know, I did what you've done - clean off shop bought roses, but I found my buns reacted differently to them than to my own rose leaves. I always thought that it was the pesticides that I just couldn't remove and it put them off.

You could risk it. Personally I wouldn't xx

Well I definitely trust both your opinions and I see what you are both saying.

It’s such a shame to waste them, but as you guys say it’s probably not worth the risk of the boys. After my garden rose has finished flowering I’ll steal some off their instead to dry :)

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it <3 xx

Well I definitely trust both your opinions and I see what you are both saying.

It’s such a shame to waste them, but as you guys say it’s probably not worth the risk of the boys. After my garden rose has finished flowering I’ll steal some off their instead to dry :)

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it <3 xx

:D

I hope Flash is OK? :wave:

:D

I hope Flash is OK? :wave:

Yes thank you :) he’s back to his usual naughtiness lol, although both cats are finding this heat difficult.

Poor Truffle and his eyes are the focus of my attention now unfortunately. The sore eye despite the drops got worse even after two weeks so now he’s on oral medication for a week, and his eye I noticed had an ulcer in has to have eye drops for a third week. Hoping both heal by next week, poor Truffy puff. They aren’t bothering him though so that’s something <3

Yes thank you :) he’s back to his usual naughtiness lol, although both cats are finding this heat difficult.

Poor Truffle and his eyes are the focus of my attention now unfortunately. The sore eye despite the drops got worse even after two weeks so now he’s on oral medication for a week, and his eye I noticed had an ulcer in has to have eye drops for a third week. Hoping both heal by next week, poor Truffy puff. They aren’t bothering him though so that’s something <3

I'm really sorry about the eye. I know how hard it is to cope with an eye ulcer!

I hope it mends soon. Glad the cats are doing OK. Is Luther OK?

I'm really sorry about the eye. I know how hard it is to cope with an eye ulcer!

I hope it mends soon. Glad the cats are doing OK. Is Luther OK?

Yeah he’s great, cheeky monkey but great lol. He does get the brunt of Truffles tantrums with meds occasionally though bless him. Especially when like this morning I didn’t get the oral meds into Truffle’s mouth properly so a tiny bit dribbled out, but he had a major wobbly when I tried to get the syringe back in his mouth for the final bit. I need better aim lol.

Thanks for asking :) x

Yeah he’s great, cheeky monkey but great lol. He does get the brunt of Truffles tantrums with meds occasionally though bless him. Especially when like this morning I didn’t get the oral meds into Truffle’s mouth properly so a tiny bit dribbled out, but he had a major wobbly when I tried to get the syringe back in his mouth for the final bit. I need better aim lol.

Thanks for asking :) x

Big hugs xx

Big hugs xx

Omg I have been trying to email two people about wedding stuff and just realised no emails are being sent! So I think the one I last sent you didn’t send either by the looks of it! I’m not ignoring you honest 🤦🏼*♀️ lol x

Omg I have been trying to email two people about wedding stuff and just realised no emails are being sent! So I think the one I last sent you didn’t send either by the looks of it! I’m not ignoring you honest 🤦🏼*♀️ lol x

Don't worry, I would never think that of you!

That's why I asked about Flash on here, in case you didn't get it, or had been really busy or something :) x

Don't worry, I would never think that of you!

That's why I asked about Flash on here, in case you didn't get it, or had been really busy or something :) x

Aw thank you!
Hopefully it should reach you now, Sam managed to send all my outbox from his laptop. Explains why a photographer and venue person didn’t reply from my messages last week though!! I hate technology sometimes lol!

Thanks for understanding!

Oh no I can hear thunder :-( the animals are not going to be pleased :-/

Aw thank you!
Hopefully it should reach you now, Sam managed to send all my outbox from his laptop. Explains why a photographer and venue person didn’t reply from my messages last week though!! I hate technology sometimes lol!

Thanks for understanding!

Oh no I can hear thunder :-( the animals are not going to be pleased :-/

Yeah got it :wave:

Hope they can deal with the thunder and that you get lots of rain :D

Yeah got it :wave:

Hope they can deal with the thunder and that you get lots of rain :D

Thank you :) I know it sounds terrible but I do hope we have a good rain, my poor grade needs it lol! Most storms just pass us, I’ll take the rain but pass on the thunder hehe!

Back