• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad loss

I am so very sorry to read of your sad and tragic loss of Ronnie. He looks a beautiful bunny and you clearly gave him a wonderful 2 years with love and care. Not knowing is always the hardest part in accepting grief and I think we would all wish our pets could tell us what was wrong with them. I agree with the view that you should look to rescue centres for a new companion. Your surviviing bun may have a grieving period so it's vital that you monitor him for signs of stasis and depression. In the interim, maybe get a furry toy replacement to make him feel not so isolated?
There are plenty of people on this forum who are extremely good with bonding advice and they will happily give great experience and advice for this. Finding the right companion is critical and I would look at local rescue cetres near you for guidance and a new companion. I hope this helps and again, my condolences on this tragic loss.

I am so sorry you lost Ronnie. Several years ago I lost a bunny suddenly. He was hopping around and happy less than a half hour before he died, and my other bunnies were all OK.
While it is possible something was missed because bunnies hide their illnesses; it is also possible he died due to something that happened suddenly.

What is the name of your remaining bunny? They are both so cute and obviously well loved.

Whenever I get a new bunny, I always quarantine them from my other bunnies for several weeks to protect both the existing bunny and new bunny. So even if you get a new bunny, it may take time to make sure they are both healthy and then to bond them.

Last edited:
Back