• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8 year old bunny with suspected stroke

I am glad that Sammy managed to have the X-Ray and it worked fine in the end!

Regards the antibiotics - your vet did not *have* to prescribe Baytriil first. There's what's called a 'cascade' of prescribing.
This explains it here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines

If the medicine is more suitable to the needs of the patient, then it can be prescribed. Even 'off label' - though some vets will require your consent in writing for this.

The other point is, that injectable penicillin will not work if given simply once a week. For an abscess it has to be given at least every other day, and many vets give it daily until the abscess has actually disappeared. Then give the injections once every other day for a couple more weeks.

I know you have faith in your vet, so it must sound a bit weird that I'm saying all this stuff - Sorry!
But I couldn't just let it pass without saying something, so I hope you'll forgive me! :)

I was at the 'cutting edge' when vets began to use penicillin for abscess treatment about 20 years ago, and I've treated literally dozens of rabbits with all kinds of abscesses. I worked alongside a number of Rescue vets to trial the efficacy of injectable penicillin xx

Hi, thankyou for your advise, I appreciate it and I am happy for you to give it :) Regarding the cascade I'm not sure she actually said she had too do the baytrill first maybe she meant consider that first but that had worked for the tongue and then under her tongue but wasn't working for the cheek and now we know there is something at the end of her tooth, the baytrill can't of done much if anything to help that. I read your reply before going for the injection today so mentioned to Clare we were happy to bring her in daily for injections, she said this one is a long acting one so only needs to be done weekly. I looked on my receipt and it says Depocillin on it. I had to sign the form to say I understood the risk etc. Sammy is going back on Monday to have her bloods taken, I wasn't sure if I wanted to make her have that done but if the injections don't work and we have to consider the tooth being taken out, I would like to know if there is anything else going on that might help make the decision as to whether we put her through that or not. The white spot thing is still in Sammy's ear but the vet's not too concerned as it's just one and Clare said her ears were a little crusty and red inside last week which has cleared up nicely with the ear drops so that's one improvement :) When we got Sammy back she just flopped out of the carry cage instead of running off as usual. I was a bit worried she was reacting to the medicine but she may just be getting stressed about all the vet trips! She has just been eating a nice lot of grass so hopefully that's all that was! Oh and my bill was only £56 today which includes yesterdays appointment with xrays and todays injection as well as some more of the vetergesic for the next few days! I was expecting a massive bills for the xrays, I even asked the receptionist if that included them and she checked and said yes, is that ok! I was like, yep I was expecting a lot more than that! (She's worth it anyway even if it had been but that was a nice surprise!)

Claire's decision to try the conscious X-ray paid off! Sending you and Sammy more positive vibes for a complete cure.

RESULTS FROM BLOOD TEST:
I got a call from Clare today with the results of her bloods, she was pleased they were good results :) They didn't show anything concerning. She is a bit anaemic, her kidney was slightly high or something? I think she said 10.7 if that means anything! I might have got that wrong though, I suddenly thought I ought to write down what she was telling me. Clare said she isn't surprised by that as she is an older bunny. Her blood sugar was up a bit but likely due to stress. I think her white blood cells were up too. All these things she said we will have at the back of our minds but nothing to worry about at the moment. But she does want to try to get her off the loxicon soon as that can be bad for the kidneys for too long. She also said the lab didn't flag anything up so these are only slight issues which she is just letting me know. Sammy is having the next injection Saturday and then we see Clare again Tuesday to see how things are going and decide what next steps to take. Unfortunately Sammy is still drooling quite a bit and still won't eat enough but hopefully we are going in the right direction! Sammy says hi to everyone and thanks for all the love :) xxx

RESULTS FROM BLOOD TEST:
I got a call from Clare today with the results of her bloods, she was pleased they were good results :) They didn't show anything concerning. She is a bit anaemic, her kidney was slightly high or something? I think she said 10.7 if that means anything! I might have got that wrong though, I suddenly thought I ought to write down what she was telling me. Clare said she isn't surprised by that as she is an older bunny. Her blood sugar was up a bit but likely due to stress. I think her white blood cells were up too. All these things she said we will have at the back of our minds but nothing to worry about at the moment. But she does want to try to get her off the loxicon soon as that can be bad for the kidneys for too long. She also said the lab didn't flag anything up so these are only slight issues which she is just letting me know. Sammy is having the next injection Saturday and then we see Clare again Tuesday to see how things are going and decide what next steps to take. Unfortunately Sammy is still drooling quite a bit and still won't eat enough but hopefully we are going in the right direction! Sammy says hi to everyone and thanks for all the love :) xxx

I am glad to hear that the Vet is reasonably happy with the recent blood test results. I hope that Sammy will remain comfortable within himself and good luck for the next appointment :)

RESULTS FROM BLOOD TEST:

I'm so glad to hear of these good results :D

You can ask for a print out of your bunny's test results and keep them in a folder.
I also make any additional notes and keep it all together in one place.

More love coming over for Sammy xxx

I'm so glad to hear of these good results :D

You can ask for a print out of your bunny's test results and keep them in a folder.
I also make any additional notes and keep it all together in one place.

More love coming over for Sammy xxx

Thankyou, I love this forum, it has given me a lot of reassurance :)

I was pleased to read that Sammy's blood work had not red flags. Sending you and Sammy more hugs and love.

I've just read this thread for the first time. What a journey Sammy has been on. Wishing her lots of get well vibes

I've just read this thread for the first time. What a journey Sammy has been on. Wishing her lots of get well vibes

Thankyou :) She sure has been through it, hopefully we can get her back to good health and she will be back to her normal mischievious self!!!

Thankyou :) She sure has been through it, hopefully we can get her back to good health and she will be back to her normal mischievious self!!!

I too enjoy when an ill bunny does something naughty. Sending more positive vibes to you and your girl that she will soon be mischievous.

Another update :)

Thanks everyone :) Sammy had her second injection on Saturday and her weight had risen a bit. Then today she saw Clare again to see how she was doing. She has stopped drooling but her eyes were weeping. Her weight is about 2.9kg, she had gone down to 2.7kg. Clare wants it back up to 3.5kg which she was when she was first ill in July and had been around that weight for a long time. Sammy is eating plenty of grass but she won't eat her nuggets by herself so I keep having to encourage her at lots of times during the day. They have to have water on but when the water has soaked in a bit she doesn't want them, fussy bunny! She has been given Isathal eye drops to help soothe here eyes and hopefully clear it up, but Clare said her eyes looked fine, she doesn't think the tear ducts are completely blocked as she would have more discharge but if it doesn't clear up we can consider flushing the tear ducts. She said Sammy could probably just have a local anaesthetic for that rather than be put right under as she sits so nicely. I have to try stopping the zantec and loxicom and see how she gets on. I didn't give her them this morning and she was in a funny mood today and seems in discomfort at times. I will see how she is tomorrow but she didn't eat as much today so I don't want to try her without for long in case she stops eating again! The eye drops are twice a day but luckily we don't have to annoy Sammy with this medication as she doesn't really notice me doing it while I am stroking her :) She was getting pretty fed up with being held and forced to have her medication, luckily she normally gets over her annoyance in a few seconds with a favourite treat!!!! Clare wants to do 4 lots of the injection and then review, luckily in 2 weeks Clare is working the Saturday so the 4th one will double as a check of how she's doing too (unless we need to see her before then). I'll update again with any news. Thanks everyone for all your well wishes, it helps so much to know so many people are rooting for her. I have a couple of animal loving friends but most of my other friends just don't understand the way you guys do :)

Thanks everyone :) Sammy had her second injection on Saturday and her weight had risen a bit. Then today she saw Clare again to see how she was doing. She has stopped drooling but her eyes were weeping. Her weight is about 2.9kg, she had gone down to 2.7kg. Clare wants it back up to 3.5kg which she was when she was first ill in July and had been around that weight for a long time. Sammy is eating plenty of grass but she won't eat her nuggets by herself so I keep having to encourage her at lots of times during the day. They have to have water on but when the water has soaked in a bit she doesn't want them, fussy bunny! She has been given Isathal eye drops to help soothe here eyes and hopefully clear it up, but Clare said her eyes looked fine, she doesn't think the tear ducts are completely blocked as she would have more discharge but if it doesn't clear up we can consider flushing the tear ducts. She said Sammy could probably just have a local anaesthetic for that rather than be put right under as she sits so nicely. I have to try stopping the zantec and loxicom and see how she gets on. I didn't give her them this morning and she was in a funny mood today and seems in discomfort at times. I will see how she is tomorrow but she didn't eat as much today so I don't want to try her without for long in case she stops eating again! The eye drops are twice a day but luckily we don't have to annoy Sammy with this medication as she doesn't really notice me doing it while I am stroking her :) She was getting pretty fed up with being held and forced to have her medication, luckily she normally gets over her annoyance in a few seconds with a favourite treat!!!! Clare wants to do 4 lots of the injection and then review, luckily in 2 weeks Clare is working the Saturday so the 4th one will double as a check of how she's doing too (unless we need to see her before then). I'll update again with any news. Thanks everyone for all your well wishes, it helps so much to know so many people are rooting for her. I have a couple of animal loving friends but most of my other friends just don't understand the way you guys do :)

I am glad that you have a Vet in whom you trust and I hope that Sammy will continue to gain weight. Sending lots of vibes for her x

I am glad your vet is taking good care of Sammy, and I hope she continues to keep her weight up.

A great update :)

It must be scary for you to stop any medication when it took so much effort to get Sammy to her current stable state. Would Clare approve of your tapering off on the meds by either reducing dosage or having more time between dosages? That is what I had to do with my stasis bunny, Dash.
It made me smile to read she is being fussy with her moistened pellets. She and I must be related!
I had some elderly bunnies with tear duct issues and my vet was able to flush them conscious with a local anesthetic; so I am sure Clare will be able to do the same with Sammy, if deemed necessary.
Sammy sounds like a lovely bunny and I am sending you and she more positive vibes.

It must be scary for you to stop any medication when it took so much effort to get Sammy to her current stable state. Would Clare approve of your tapering off on the meds by either reducing dosage or having more time between dosages? That is what I had to do with my stasis bunny, Dash.
It made me smile to read she is being fussy with her moistened pellets. She and I must be related!
I had some elderly bunnies with tear duct issues and my vet was able to flush them conscious with a local anesthetic; so I am sure Clare will be able to do the same with Sammy, if deemed necessary.
Sammy sounds like a lovely bunny and I am sending you and she more positive vibes.

Hi, yes it was bit scary stopping the meds, I was ready to start again if needed, she didn't seem too happy that day and the next but she picked up and seems to be fine without the medicine. The drooling hasn't come back and she's eating about the same. Her eyes are still weeping. She had her 3rd injection yesterday and will have a 4th one next saturday with Clare and she will assess her again then. I'm running out of good grass to give her which is a pain. I really need her to eat hay, I've tried her usual timothy hay, a cheap one, another type and then readigrass, apart from the strange day when she ate hay for about 5 minutes, she just won't eat any. I keep trying sprinkling bits of her faveourite treats in the hay and putting veg in it but she just picks them out but ignores the hay. If anyone has any suggestions to try that would be great!!!

Hi, yes it was bit scary stopping the meds, I was ready to start again if needed, she didn't seem too happy that day and the next but she picked up and seems to be fine without the medicine. The drooling hasn't come back and she's eating about the same. Her eyes are still weeping. She had her 3rd injection yesterday and will have a 4th one next saturday with Clare and she will assess her again then. I'm running out of good grass to give her which is a pain. I really need her to eat hay, I've tried her usual timothy hay, a cheap one, another type and then readigrass, apart from the strange day when she ate hay for about 5 minutes, she just won't eat any. I keep trying sprinkling bits of her faveourite treats in the hay and putting veg in it but she just picks them out but ignores the hay. If anyone has any suggestions to try that would be great!!!

Will she not eat readigrass? That's as good as hay :)

Back