• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8 year old bunny with suspected stroke

No, she just ignores it, it was a friend of mine who told me about it and she ordered me 3 bags of it!

She will eat fresh grass, yes? This is difficult, as when the grass disappears over winter time you'll need something.

Fibafirst sticks I find very useful for bunnies who can't/don't eat hay. They also provide other nutrients beside fibre, but they are higher in fibre than lots of other foods.

Bramble and rose leaves are also good for providing fibre, though the wear aspect on the teeth won't be so good.

She will eat fresh grass, yes? This is difficult, as when the grass disappears over winter time you'll need something.

Fibafirst sticks I find very useful for bunnies who can't/don't eat hay. They also provide other nutrients beside fibre, but they are higher in fibre than lots of other foods.

Bramble and rose leaves are also good for providing fibre, though the wear aspect on the teeth won't be so good.

yes she will eat fresh grass but even that she is being fussy over which bits she will eat! It's so weird because she will eat hard stuff like some,her favurite right now are these carrot and fennel sticks, I had to take it away and just break off little bits for her as she wanted to eat the whole thing!They are pretty hard so it's not that she won't eat. Oh and locus bean treats she loves too. She was chewing on the skirting board the other day which she hadn't done in years. I also got some paresley and celery forage, flower bits and some dandelion and nettle root packets, I put a it on the hay to try to encourage her but it's not working. She;s eaten a fibre bite with timothy hay round treat yesterday and the day before so hoping one of those a day will help too. I will look for the fibafirst treats you mentioned and hopefully they will help. I was dissapointed at the vets yesterday she was 2.9kg again so she hadn't gone up but actually down a tiny bit. I was trying to get her to eat some carrot again as they are meant to be fattening but she won't touch them now! That's all she would eat a few weeks ago alongside dandelion leaves and cucumber!

Sorry this thread is so long, another update for anyone who has been following.

Hi everyone, Sammy had her 4th injection Saturday. She has been doing a lot better. Her eyes seem to be better now, Clare wants me to carry on with eye stuff for a couple more days just to make sure. Her drooling has mostly cleared up, she still has the odd 'wet' day but nothing like it was. She FINALLY started eating her nuggets DRY on Friday which is suck a relief, it means she is eating overnight and anytime she feels like, rather than waiting for wet ones and being fussy for just the right amount of water! She is still taking water when I hold the water but I am now going to work on getting her back to drinking by herself. The other day she went and stood in front of my partner and then went to her bottle to tell him she wanted some, it was so comical! She has got so spoiled over the last couple of months. We've put a water bottle where it always has been, another elsewhere and water in a bowl but she wants to be waited on! Clare was a bit disappointed that she was only 2.95kg on Saturday, that's 50g up from the previous Saturday but she said that at least that was weight put on while she was having no pain medication or the gut one so hopefully she will put on some more. I don't have an appointment to take Sammy back, I just have to keep an eye on her and see how she gets on and bring her back anytime I think necessary. She said I was intune with Sammy so I should know if I need to, I took that as a compliment :) When I thanked Clare for all her help she said it had been a pleasure. She also wants me to weigh her regularly and make sure she doesn't drop any. She warned me we may have to do the teeth filing again sometime. I'm just so relieved she's still alive!!! I can't believe the difference in her now than where she was at the end of Jul, I honestly thought I was going to lose her. Clare was saying the neurological side that was the start of the problems seems to be fine now. I'm not even noticing her swaying now like she was when she cleaned herself so it seems like there is little or no effect of that side of things now. Fingers crossed she continues to improve. Thanks soooooooooooooo much for evryones support, love and advice xxx

Hi everyone, Sammy had her 4th injection Saturday. She has been doing a lot better. Her eyes seem to be better now, Clare wants me to carry on with eye stuff for a couple more days just to make sure. Her drooling has mostly cleared up, she still has the odd 'wet' day but nothing like it was. She FINALLY started eating her nuggets DRY on Friday which is suck a relief, it means she is eating overnight and anytime she feels like, rather than waiting for wet ones and being fussy for just the right amount of water! She is still taking water when I hold the water but I am now going to work on getting her back to drinking by herself. The other day she went and stood in front of my partner and then went to her bottle to tell him she wanted some, it was so comical! She has got so spoiled over the last couple of months. We've put a water bottle where it always has been, another elsewhere and water in a bowl but she wants to be waited on! Clare was a bit disappointed that she was only 2.95kg on Saturday, that's 50g up from the previous Saturday but she said that at least that was weight put on while she was having no pain medication or the gut one so hopefully she will put on some more. I don't have an appointment to take Sammy back, I just have to keep an eye on her and see how she gets on and bring her back anytime I think necessary. She said I was intune with Sammy so I should know if I need to, I took that as a compliment :) When I thanked Clare for all her help she said it had been a pleasure. She also wants me to weigh her regularly and make sure she doesn't drop any. She warned me we may have to do the teeth filing again sometime. I'm just so relieved she's still alive!!! I can't believe the difference in her now than where she was at the end of Jul, I honestly thought I was going to lose her. Clare was saying the neurological side that was the start of the problems seems to be fine now. I'm not even noticing her swaying now like she was when she cleaned herself so it seems like there is little or no effect of that side of things now. Fingers crossed she continues to improve. Thanks soooooooooooooo much for evryones support, love and advice xxx

What a lovely update, I am delighted to read how well Sammy is doing. I really hope that there will be continued progress over the coming weeks xx

This is a great update :D

I hope the improvement is maintained.
You're working so well together with Sammy so I can see how your vet trusts you with his progress :D

Update for anyone who has been following.

For anyone who has been following my thread, just thought I would give an update. Sammy is doing very well at the moment. She has had a couple of days where she wouldn't eat again and one where she was drooling for 1 day and then fine again! But other than that she has been having no medicine, she isn't drooling, she isn't chattering her teeth at all in pain. She is eating well (still grass rather than hay although today she did eat a fair bit of hay too!). She was at the vets a few weeks ago as she was drooling again badly not long after her 4th (and final) antibiotic injection. We did another xray and put her back on zantec. I'm not sure if that is what helped but it cleared up again. She had put on weight and was finally over 3kg. (3.1kg!). Ideally the vet wanted her back at 3.5 but she was happy with anything over 3kg. The xray showed a pale bit where the very dark bit was before (that we assume was the absess). So it looks like it has cleared up. Our vet got a second opinion on the xray results and what this colleague would do. My vet has never removed a molar that isn't loose already, and even then she said it is difficult. Both her and her colleague agreed that removing it was not a good option (and I wouldn't have wanted to put her through that anyway). And that antibiotics would be the way to go again if necessary. As Sammy is doing well now anyway, I just have to keep an eye on her, give her pain killer if necessary etc. I can bring her back in if she gets worse again. Then we might need to do the antibiotics again. I am just so delighted to have my bunny hopping around and eating again as if nothing happened, she is just like she was back in the beginning of July before any of this happened :) I really hope she continues to do well. This is why it was worth all the time and effort to try to get her better, I had a couple of non-bunny lovers thinking I should let her go, they just didn't understand like you all do! I always said I would let her go if she had no outlook and was in pain that couldn't be managed but I never felt we were at that stage. Thanks again for all the bunny love, I am sure that helped Sammy, it certainly helped me :)

For anyone who has been following my thread, just thought I would give an update. Sammy is doing very well at the moment. She has had a couple of days where she wouldn't eat again and one where she was drooling for 1 day and then fine again! But other than that she has been having no medicine, she isn't drooling, she isn't chattering her teeth at all in pain. She is eating well (still grass rather than hay although today she did eat a fair bit of hay too!). She was at the vets a few weeks ago as she was drooling again badly not long after her 4th (and final) antibiotic injection. We did another xray and put her back on zantec. I'm not sure if that is what helped but it cleared up again. She had put on weight and was finally over 3kg. (3.1kg!). Ideally the vet wanted her back at 3.5 but she was happy with anything over 3kg. The xray showed a pale bit where the very dark bit was before (that we assume was the absess). So it looks like it has cleared up. Our vet got a second opinion on the xray results and what this colleague would do. My vet has never removed a molar that isn't loose already, and even then she said it is difficult. Both her and her colleague agreed that removing it was not a good option (and I wouldn't have wanted to put her through that anyway). And that antibiotics would be the way to go again if necessary. As Sammy is doing well now anyway, I just have to keep an eye on her, give her pain killer if necessary etc. I can bring her back in if she gets worse again. Then we might need to do the antibiotics again. I am just so delighted to have my bunny hopping around and eating again as if nothing happened, she is just like she was back in the beginning of July before any of this happened :) I really hope she continues to do well. This is why it was worth all the time and effort to try to get her better, I had a couple of non-bunny lovers thinking I should let her go, they just didn't understand like you all do! I always said I would let her go if she had no outlook and was in pain that couldn't be managed but I never felt we were at that stage. Thanks again for all the bunny love, I am sure that helped Sammy, it certainly helped me :)

Such good news, I am really happy for both of you x

Yes I've been following your thread :wave:

I am so glad to hear this update! :D

Update

I've been thinking about you.

How are things?

Hi Mighty Max, sorry just seen your message. Sammy is doing ok thankyou. She's on antibiotics again, she had the 4th weekly injection today. Next week we will decide what to do. Sammy had started drooling a bit again and the vet found a slight white sore bit in her mouth near where the absess was so that's why we started the antibiotics again. The drooling stopped again pretty quick and she had been doing well apart from weird mucus/jelly like poos. She had some fibreplex and that seemed to help sort her out (although she wasn't getting much of it as must of it she was spitting out/letting drip out her mouth!!!!). Last week she was up to a healthier 3.1kg, the heaviest she's been since she's been ill (Ideal for her is 3.5). But this last week she wasn't eating as much, being fussy over her grass , she did a couple of largish soft mass of poo and lots of small poos. she's dropped to 2.96kg this week. Unfortunately she still won't eat any hay (I have alfafa king timothy hay which is the one she used to eat, burgess excel, some other timothy hay & readigrass, as well as trying hay cubes and some fibre sticks). She won't eat any. The problem with the grass now is it's all a bit **** so it's hit or miss whether she will decide to eat it. I have been growing some indoors which she liked but it's no where near enough and yesterday she refused it! The vet today (not our usual vet) suggested possibly trying haylage. I didn't know what that was but after googling it, it seems it's not a good option for bunnies. She also asked what nuggets she is getting, I told her it's pets at home adult nuggets. She suggested getting one with high fibre content like burgess. I found Excel Burgess Nuggets with Cranberry and Ginseng Mature Rabbit Food, I've ordered with amazon prime so it should be arriving tomorrow. Do you have any advice about trying the haylage? I know it's not the normal thing to give bunnies but I'm guessing she suggested it as all the other options aren't working and she mentioned spurs if we don't keep the teeth down. I think the haylage doesn't have enough fibre in but if we up the fibre with the new nuggets (if she will eat them) then it might be ok? Thanks for your concern and sorry to be asking for more advice again :)

I don’t think haylage would be good for a rabbit as it’s part fermented and needs to be fed quickly before it goes off. So I’m surprised a vet has suggested it.

My rabbit has become fussy with hay due to dental issues. Hay suppliers have been very good at sending out samples for him to try. He used to like alfalfa king Timothy hay too but won’t eat it now.

Timothy hay.co.uk hay is lovely and they send out samples, the stalky one is the only hay my rabbit will eat at the moment.
The hay experts also do a sample pack which is useful. Hay and straw.co.uk also do samples. So I’d get samples and see if you can find some he likes.

ETA fibafirst sticks are also good and my rabbit likes them. I think you can get samples of them but if you can’t if you PM me I will gladly send you some :thumb:

I don’t think haylage would be good for a rabbit as it’s part fermented and needs to be fed quickly before it goes off. So I’m surprised a vet has suggested it.

My rabbit has become fussy with hay due to dental issues. Hay suppliers have been very good at sending out samples for him to try. He used to like alfalfa king Timothy hay too but won’t eat it now.

Timothy hay.co.uk hay is lovely and they send out samples, the stalky one is the only hay my rabbit will eat at the moment.
The hay experts also do a sample pack which is useful. Hay and straw.co.uk also do samples. So I’d get samples and see if you can find some he likes.

ETA fibafirst sticks are also good and my rabbit likes them. I think you can get samples of them but if you can’t if you PM me I will gladly send you some :thumb:

Thanks for the advice, I haven't tried the haylage, it seemed strange to me too that she mentioned it, luckily that's not my normal vet, I see her again Monday. I have just ordered the sample from the hay straw site and I also contacted the timothy hay one. Thanks for the kid offer to send a sample of the fibasfirst sticks, unfortunatelt I already got 2 boxes from amazon a while ago, she won't touch them! luckily my other bunny likes them so they won't go to waste! Fingers crossed for the hay samples! thanks :)

Update 9/1/19

Hi, just thought I would give another update. Sammy had been doing pretty well, but she started drooling again and her eyes were running just before Christmas. She has been on zantec and loxicom for 2 weeks (I would have taken her back earlier but my vet wasn't back until the 7th jan so decided to wait and see as she was still eating well and seemed happy). She had put on some weight 2 weeks ago, 3.14kg but 2 days ago she was at 3.17kg! So it's going the right way. Claire could see a slight mark starting to appear on her tongue again where she had a very sore area near the start of her illness. One of the spurs was getting longer and likely to be causing it. We booked her in for her teeth filing again, knowing the risks but there was not another option as it would just continue to grow and make the tongue really sore again. We could have waited a bit longer but then we would risk her losing weight. Strangely yesterday she stopped drooling and her eyes were nice and dry, even though she had been on the same medication for 2 weeks! Anyway we still decided to proceed. Fortunately the abscess she had doesn't seem to have reoccurred yet, not to be bothering her anyway. So she had her teeth done at lunch time today, very very scary waiting for Claire to ring. Fortunately they had no trouble with her apart from one of her teeth being brittle and a bit breaking off more than the vet wanted to have filed it down, hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. I picked Sammy up about an hour ago and have to get her eating again asap, so far she doesn't want anything but I will keep trying, I have critical care in case! One strange thing the vet noticed, is she was doing something strange with her tongue, corkscrewing it or something. She did it quite a bit. Claire thinks this might be related to the original problem of the possible stroke she had, some sort of neurological thing. She also said the first time her tongue was sore and we had to file them, she had thought it was strange as the spur didn't seem to reach the tongue to cause the lesion like she would expect but there was no other likely explanation. I remember her saying at the time that the spur wasn't really that long and shouldn't have been causing problems. The same this time she thought the same so it appears Sammy is doing something weird with her tongue causing it to rub on the spur when it starts to get longer. I had noticed she often seems to chew weirdly one side and sometimes seems to struggle picking up a but of food if she drops it. I thought it could be a sore mouth and maybe just all her fluffy cheeks in the way. So it's still a mystery as the original drooling was when she had the first tongue lesion and had her teeth filed, then she had more drooling and we found the absess, then she had stomach issues and that might have caused it, now it seems it is likely the spur again and maybe some neurological issue to go alongside! What a complicated bunny! Anyway, I am hopeful that as she has been eating so well lately, that she will get over this teeth filing quite quickly and hopefully have a few more months before having to do it again. xxx

Back