• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

8 year old bunny with suspected stroke

Hi, I didn't take Sammy to the vets today, she's eating a bit more (still not pellets or hay but I will try softening the pellets like you suggest). She seems to be getting used to the drooling and is mainly ignoring it, she is happily running around a bit (well trying to) and keeps coming over for lots of attention. In the past when she has been ill she will hide away and not want anyone near her so I'm glad she's still wanting our company. I had a hard time giving her the Panacur (after I had worked out the weird instructions and triple checked I'd got the right dosage, she is bigger than my other bunny so she is getting 2 increments for 28 days, and Gingerbread only has 1 increment for 9 days, confusing!). She has a lot of fur round her face (part lion head), what a mess trying to get the paste in her mouth, coupled with the mess she already has from the drooling bless her! I am maybe going to try hiding it in a dandelion leaf tomorrow and seeing if she will eat it like that! Although the drooling would usually be a teeth issue, it seems such a coincidence it has only just started and it is major drooling. When I take her back next Wednesday I'll get the vet to have another look at her teeth anyway, she's a very experienced vet with small furries and I trust her a lot, I deliberately got the last appointment with her and the next one is with her too. Years ago this vet took care of Sammy overnight after an emergency appointment when she was seriously ill from a blockage, I don't think she would have survived if it had been one of the less experienced vets!

Oh what a struggle with the paste! I get the vet to dispense a bottle of Panacur and then use a syringe. The bottles of Pancur aren't licensed for rabbits which is why it's sometimes a struggle to get them other than at the vet.

I'm sorry about the drooling and I hope you can get to the bottom of that.

How wonderful you have such an attentive vet :) I hope you have some luck finding food that she will eat :)

I am glad Sammy continues to improve. It is always nice to have an experienced vet and I am glad you and Sammy are lucky in that area. Sending you both some positive vibes for continued improvement; and perhaps finding a cause for her drooling.

ANOTHER UPDATE.
Things aren't looking good for poor Sammy. She was due at the vets tomorrow morning but I took her today instead. The vet noticed her other front leg has also lost strength/movement, it must have just happened since last night. She looked in her mouth and found she has an absess on her tongue. The vet suspects she might have bitten it due to possibly losing strength in face muscles. Her teeth don't have any spurs. There is one that is lower than the rest which she wouldn't be doing anything about if Sammy was healthy but could have caused the sore on her tongue. She also noticed one of her eyes is dilated more than the other. The vet gave me 2 options, one is to have her put down, the other is to try filing her teeth down to see if it gives her any relief but we all know the risks of that, especially when Sammy is already poorly. I asked about pain killers to see if that helps, the vet said we could try that and see if there is any improvement. She gave her antibiotics and a pain killer. But she wants Sammy back in the morning for the teeth to be filed or to have her put down. I trust this vet completely and know she wants the best for Sammy. I get the feeling that she is just letting me take her home today to say goodbye to her properly. I did ask her if it was cruel to take her away and not try it today but she said that was ok and we'll see if the pain killer helps. I'm sitting next to Sammy but she doesn't seem to want me to stroke her right now, hopefully the company helps. She just ate a load of grass and some dandelion leaves, as well as a few of her favourite berry drop treats! She was about 3.4kg last week, now she is 3.1kg, she used to be quite a bit more than 3.4kg! If tomorrow is a choice between trying the teeth or putting her down I will try the teeth first just in case. Although that won't help the legs but she had been managing to get about ok, kind of running and hopping a bit over the last week. She even decided to go round to Gingerbreads gate this morning and do her habitual wee in front of it, I didn't tell her off this time!

I'm sorry to read this latest update. Sending lots of hugs and lots of vibes for Sammy.

ANOTHER UPDATE.
Things aren't looking good for poor Sammy. She was due at the vets tomorrow morning but I took her today instead. The vet noticed her other front leg has also lost strength/movement, it must have just happened since last night. She looked in her mouth and found she has an absess on her tongue. The vet suspects she might have bitten it due to possibly losing strength in face muscles. Her teeth don't have any spurs. There is one that is lower than the rest which she wouldn't be doing anything about if Sammy was healthy but could have caused the sore on her tongue. She also noticed one of her eyes is dilated more than the other. The vet gave me 2 options, one is to have her put down, the other is to try filing her teeth down to see if it gives her any relief but we all know the risks of that, especially when Sammy is already poorly. I asked about pain killers to see if that helps, the vet said we could try that and see if there is any improvement. She gave her antibiotics and a pain killer. But she wants Sammy back in the morning for the teeth to be filed or to have her put down. I trust this vet completely and know she wants the best for Sammy. I get the feeling that she is just letting me take her home today to say goodbye to her properly. I did ask her if it was cruel to take her away and not try it today but she said that was ok and we'll see if the pain killer helps. I'm sitting next to Sammy but she doesn't seem to want me to stroke her right now, hopefully the company helps. She just ate a load of grass and some dandelion leaves, as well as a few of her favourite berry drop treats! She was about 3.4kg last week, now she is 3.1kg, she used to be quite a bit more than 3.4kg! If tomorrow is a choice between trying the teeth or putting her down I will try the teeth first just in case. Although that won't help the legs but she had been managing to get about ok, kind of running and hopping a bit over the last week. She even decided to go round to Gingerbreads gate this morning and do her habitual wee in front of it, I didn't tell her off this time!

I'm really sorry to hear about this :(

It's such a dilemma but I think I would have done what you're doing.

I hope she chomps up and enjoys herself and I'm sure the company helps her a lot :)

I am sorry to hear about Sammy's latest issue. You are not being cruel to try to help her to recover. Also, the vet would not have suggested the dental if it was not an option she wanted you to consider. Sammy would not be eating so much grass and dandelion leaves if her discomfort from an abcess in her mouth was not somewhat controlled. She also is hopping around.
Please know I will support you in any decision you make.

Based on my experience with several older bunnies, she may do fine with anesthesia for a dental in spite of her age if her organs are functioning properly.

Sending you and Sammy some positive vibes.

Thanks for positive vibes everyone, Sammy is back home safe and sound! The vet said she gave them a scare as she stopped breathing but after that everything went smoothly and she woke back up fine. I picked her up a while ago, her front legs seems to be weak again, splaying out but I'm hoping that improves again after a while. I have pain medication and antibiotics for her and have to take her back next week (or before if necessary). I also have some of that food you mix with water if I can't get her eating again. The vet said she was a tough old bunny!!! I spent most of yesterday sitting with Sammy, and crying as I thought I was saying goodbye to her. Today was torture waiting for the vet to call me, luckily I only had to wait a couple of hours before she phoned the first time to let me know she had made it! I really hope me and Sammy get to have more time together, she really is a wonderful bunny :)

Thanks for positive vibes everyone, Sammy is back home safe and sound! The vet said she gave them a scare as she stopped breathing but after that everything went smoothly and she woke back up fine. I picked her up a while ago, her front legs seems to be weak again, splaying out but I'm hoping that improves again after a while. I have pain medication and antibiotics for her and have to take her back next week (or before if necessary). I also have some of that food you mix with water if I can't get her eating again. The vet said she was a tough old bunny!!! I spent most of yesterday sitting with Sammy, and crying as I thought I was saying goodbye to her. Today was torture waiting for the vet to call me, luckily I only had to wait a couple of hours before she phoned the first time to let me know she had made it! I really hope me and Sammy get to have more time together, she really is a wonderful bunny :)

Oh what wonderful news, I was thinking about you!

My bunny went in for an operation (quite major) but as his little heart stopped beating the operation was aborted and the vet struggled to save his life. I was very nervous of ever giving him a GA after that!

I always mix that recovery food with some Ella's kitchen organic baby food, as my lot don't really like the flavour :) They much prefer blueberries and bananas, but there are lots of other fruity and veggie flavours to choose from.

Onwards and upwards Sammy :wave:

Thankyou, your poor little bunny, glad he was saved!!! I'll try that if she wont' eat, she loves berry flavoured drops as a treat so I expect she would like that! She just ate a bit of cabbage but not much else yet, fingers crossed :)

Thankyou, your poor little bunny, glad he was saved!!! I'll try that if she wont' eat, she loves berry flavoured drops as a treat so I expect she would like that! She just ate a bit of cabbage but not much else yet, fingers crossed :)

Yes fingers crossed for your Sammy :)

My vet said that when my rabbit's heart stopped, hers almost did too :shock:

Just an update for anyone who has been following Sammy. She is doing sooooooooo much better, especially the last couple of days she has actually been wanting to eat lots. She still hasn't eaten hay or nuggets but plenty of veg. we've tried loads of stuff. She had the vets today, the vet was impressed with her progress other than she has lost a bit more weight. Her tongue is cleared up, she has stopped drooling. She is lively and happy. She started eating grass again yesterday so I am hoping her weight picks back up. She is still wobbly when she cleans herself and sometimes tips over but pretty much it is unnoticeable. She has gained the strength back in her legs etc so it seems like just a balance issue now. Hopefully she will continue to improve. I have some more of the recovery mix if I need it. I have to check her weight at home and see how she gets on and only take her back if she gets worse again or loses more weight etc. I am such a happy bunny :)

Just an update for anyone who has been following Sammy. She is doing sooooooooo much better, especially the last couple of days she has actually been wanting to eat lots. She still hasn't eaten hay or nuggets but plenty of veg. we've tried loads of stuff. She had the vets today, the vet was impressed with her progress other than she has lost a bit more weight. Her tongue is cleared up, she has stopped drooling. She is lively and happy. She started eating grass again yesterday so I am hoping her weight picks back up. She is still wobbly when she cleans herself and sometimes tips over but pretty much it is unnoticeable. She has gained the strength back in her legs etc so it seems like just a balance issue now. Hopefully she will continue to improve. I have some more of the recovery mix if I need it. I have to check her weight at home and see how she gets on and only take her back if she gets worse again or loses more weight etc. I am such a happy bunny :)

And I am happy for you :wave:

Onwards and upwards for you both - fighting together :D

Another Update

Unfortunately after my last update, Sammy started drooling again and kept chattering her teeth. I took her back to the vets yesterday. The tongue was still healed but she could feel something under Sammy's chin. She thinks it might be another absess/infection maybe spread from the tongue to now under the tongue. Sammy had antibiotics again and pain killer again. Luckily she had just started eating some nuggets again so although she had lost a little more weight, the vet was please she has started eating the nuggets. She still won't eat hay but is eating grass finally. I have 3 different hays and she won't eat any! I have to bring her back next week or before if I need too. She's still hopping around and being naughty, she just seems unhappy every now and then but then seems to forget it again. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear this up too. Unfortunately the vet that has been dealing with Sammy is on holiday next week but luckily doing an evening surgery in a town nearby so I'm taking her through there next week. The vet was genuinely dissapointed for poor Sammy as it seemed so positive and she was also wanting to see Sammy next week herself rather than another vet. I'm pleased about that as she really wants to get Sammy better :) One other thing I noticed was Sammy keeps scratching inside one ear in particular, I mentioned it to the vet last week but she didn't notice anything and Sammy recently had the mite treatment anyway. But yesterday I noticed a largish white bit down inside Sammy's ear and another couple of smaller ones. It's very difficult to photo but I tried, anyone know how to upload a pic? It looks bright white, about 1 or 2mm, looks like a grissly bit of skin or something!

Unfortunately after my last update, Sammy started drooling again and kept chattering her teeth. I took her back to the vets yesterday. The tongue was still healed but she could feel something under Sammy's chin. She thinks it might be another absess/infection maybe spread from the tongue to now under the tongue. Sammy had antibiotics again and pain killer again. Luckily she had just started eating some nuggets again so although she had lost a little more weight, the vet was please she has started eating the nuggets. She still won't eat hay but is eating grass finally. I have 3 different hays and she won't eat any! I have to bring her back next week or before if I need too. She's still hopping around and being naughty, she just seems unhappy every now and then but then seems to forget it again. Hopefully the antibiotics will clear this up too. Unfortunately the vet that has been dealing with Sammy is on holiday next week but luckily doing an evening surgery in a town nearby so I'm taking her through there next week. The vet was genuinely dissapointed for poor Sammy as it seemed so positive and she was also wanting to see Sammy next week herself rather than another vet. I'm pleased about that as she really wants to get Sammy better :) One other thing I noticed was Sammy keeps scratching inside one ear in particular, I mentioned it to the vet last week but she didn't notice anything and Sammy recently had the mite treatment anyway. But yesterday I noticed a largish white bit down inside Sammy's ear and another couple of smaller ones. It's very difficult to photo but I tried, anyone know how to upload a pic? It looks bright white, about 1 or 2mm, looks like a grissly bit of skin or something!

I'll reply better later on, but here's some info about posting photos ...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tos-directly-from-facebook-or-another-website

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

https://postimages.org

Photobucket isn't working, so you may have to register with Imgur or another photo-hosting site :)

Back