• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating now after treatment for ears. Any advice? Anyone had similar?

I am really hoping that she is on the mend. She is now eating herbs herself and will take a few nuggets from me. More importantly, there is stuff going in and poop coming out! Only very, very tiny poos though. It is a week now since she went into stasis. I am none the wiser as to what has caused it, I still think that it was uncanny that it started almost straight after the ear stuff that she was given. This was my assumed prime cause, but of course I could be wrong. The fantastic rabbit vet I saw on Wednesday had a good look and said that she had quite a bit of ear wax in one ear but otherwise seemed ok apart from the stasis. Will continue trying to get her to eat as much as I can. I have stopped the gut meds as I was told to when poop started again, which it has. Its just a bit frustrating not knowing what the cause was/is. Thank you so much for the support on here. I really thought I'd lost her at one point.

It can sometimes be frustrating to not know why something happened. I always like to know so I can avoid the cause, if possible, in the future; and to know if it is contagious to my other bunnies.
Over the years, my family has included some bunnies who go into stasis without warning and with no apparent cause. Once they recovered, at least I knew how to get them back on track.
Perhaps your bunny went into stasis from the stress, pain, or a reaction to the ear treatment; or perhaps it was just a coincidence. Even small dental issues can be bothersome enough for some bunnies to stop eating which can also result in gut slow down.
Your bunny eating herbs and some nuggets, and pooing is a good sign. It is possible her poos is smaller than usual because she is not eating as much coarse fiber. That being said, the herbs are keeping her system moving and giving her added moisture and that is a good thing.

I am really hoping that she is on the mend. She is now eating herbs herself and will take a few nuggets from me. More importantly, there is stuff going in and poop coming out! Only very, very tiny poos though. It is a week now since she went into stasis. I am none the wiser as to what has caused it, I still think that it was uncanny that it started almost straight after the ear stuff that she was given. This was my assumed prime cause, but of course I could be wrong. The fantastic rabbit vet I saw on Wednesday had a good look and said that she had quite a bit of ear wax in one ear but otherwise seemed ok apart from the stasis. Will continue trying to get her to eat as much as I can. I have stopped the gut meds as I was told to when poop started again, which it has. Its just a bit frustrating not knowing what the cause was/is. Thank you so much for the support on here. I really thought I'd lost her at one point.

I'm glad things are looking better for her :)

Yes it's frustrating, but it happens so often that we get them through a stasis episode and never find exactly what caused it. Moulting in this weather can be a trigger for some, and also pain. When the pain/discomfort gets to their threshold then it affects their eating.

It's so important (I find) to catch stasis quickly and then it can often be resolved as you don't want a secondary problem in addition to the first!

I just wanted to say thank you for all the information and vibes. My beloved bun has now made a full recovery! Back to herself with large appetite. This was a rather an epic episode of stasis, she never had anything as bad as this before. I really thought I'd lost her at one point. It really is worth keeping on an on with the battery of meds in the hope to eventually turn the corner. Still none the wiser really as to what caused it. Big thanks to all again for all the advice.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the information and vibes. My beloved bun has now made a full recovery! Back to herself with large appetite. This was a rather an epic episode of stasis, she never had anything as bad as this before. I really thought I'd lost her at one point. It really is worth keeping on an on with the battery of meds in the hope to eventually turn the corner. Still none the wiser really as to what caused it. Big thanks to all again for all the advice.

Awww you're welcome :) This is such good news!

Yes, it's hard to know whether to continue or stop treatment sometimes, but glad it worked out in your case :)

Back