• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit behaviour

Bunsterz

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, just after some advice. My 3 year old rabbit was spayed about 2 years ago now and recently she has developed behaviour like she was never spayed!
She has started frantically digging at the hutch corners, scraping all substrate away and digging at the bottom of the hutch, so much so that my neighbour has complained to me about her this morning, saying she got no sleep because she was scratching at her hutch and stamping constantly. She is in a 8ft hutch during the night and outside in a massive run all day, she has digging boxes, hideouts, toys etc and I'm at a loss as what to try now. I have just swapped her and my other rabbit over so she can have access to an attached run 24/7 (which I never want to do because of predators but apparently I have no choice now!).
Even though she has access outside, she still is digging at the corner of her hutch. Any ideas much appreciated, feeling very lost! She is getting a male companion soon and I'm hoping this will calm her down

I feel sure she will be much happier with a companion! You will need to introduce them in a completely new area as females can be very territorial. There is lots of bonding help unless you can have her bonded at a Rescue Centre or similar.

Yes, hopefully a friend will provide a good distraction :)

You would have thought having the 24/7 access would have made a different wouldn't you? I wonder if there is something you could do with that corner of the hutch to prevent or distract her from doing it? x

Yeah, i was trying to think what I could put their to distract from it but I cant think of anything. I have just been out and bought loads of new toys and enrichment to see if that helps her overnight.

Back