• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Apricot scratched ear?

Graciee

Staff member
Just noticed this in her ear, it's probably from grooming right? Her nails looked okay, but I'll have more of a look to check none are really sharp. Hopefully it'll just heal, couldn't be from Penelope right? Bit worried they'll turn on each other before I can get them spayed [emoji32]
f5b0c0ca7ba4bab0a4e32a5b0c1ada8b.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Just noticed this in her ear, it's probably from grooming right? Her nails looked okay, but I'll have more of a look to check none are really sharp. Hopefully it'll just heal, couldn't be from Penelope right? Bit worried they'll turn on each other before I can get them spayed [emoji32]

Looks like a scratch from a toe nail. Have you checked for any signs or ear mites ?

I'd also give them both a check over for any signs of them having had a scuffle. Seems unlikely that they have as there'd probably be lots of fur about and messed up bedding etc.

Are they well away from sight/sound/smell of A + C ? I expect you are on the ball re the risks of referred aggression.

Looks like a scratch from a toe nail. Have you checked for any signs or ear mites ?

I'd also give them both a check over for any signs of them having had a scuffle. Seems unlikely that they have as there'd probably be lots of fur about and messed up bedding etc.

Are they well away from sight/sound/smell of A + C ? I expect you are on the ball re the risks of referred aggression.

Yea when we got them, Apricot did have a little scab in her ear... Wasn't sure if that was anything - I'll have to Google what ear mites look like as I've never seen a bun with them before.

I have checked them over they both seem fine, when I noticed it they were both flopped next to eat other, so hopefully it was a self-inflicted grooming accident [emoji38]

Yea Atticus and Clementine are inside free roam buns and new two are outside they've never been inside and Atticus and Clementine haven't been allowed outside since we brought the new two home. They've never seen each other, and I wash my hands between being with them both. So hopefully nothing there :)

Thanks - I'll have a Google of ear mites, I should really know what that looks like haha x

Yeah, it looks like a scratch from grooming to me :D

I doubt that's from Penelope .. Rabbits often flop their ears over the other side to groom so a nail may have caught it.

You are very observant :D

Yea when we got them, Apricot did have a little scab in her ear... Wasn't sure if that was anything - I'll have to Google what ear mites look like as I've never seen a bun with them before.

I have checked them over they both seem fine, when I noticed it they were both flopped next to eat other, so hopefully it was a self-inflicted grooming accident [emoji38]

Yea Atticus and Clementine are inside free roam buns and new two are outside they've never been inside and Atticus and Clementine haven't been allowed outside since we brought the new two home. They've never seen each other, and I wash my hands between being with them both. So hopefully nothing there :)

Thanks - I'll have a Google of ear mites, I should really know what that looks like haha x

Extreme cases (graphic)

http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

Worth seeing whether the scab was the start of ear mites. Unlikely but best be prepared:

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/10/30/ear-mites-causes-and-remedys/

Extreme cases (graphic)

http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

Worth seeing whether the scab was the start of ear mites. Unlikely but best be prepared:

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/10/30/ear-mites-causes-and-remedys/
Geeze you weren't kidding about graphic [emoji38] thanks for links - I had no idea the ear could be 'eaten' now that's nightmarish [emoji38] they're seeing William not next week, beginning of following week so will get him to check them all over then, but if I notice anything else in the meantime I'll take them along earlier :) they haven't been irritated by their ears at all but both have a little scab inside their ears which was there when we got them.

Those poor bunnies in the links you sent though :(

Geeze you weren't kidding about graphic [emoji38] thanks for links - I had no idea the ear could be 'eaten' now that's nightmarish [emoji38] they're seeing William not next week, beginning of following week so will get him to check them all over then, but if I notice anything else in the meantime I'll take them along earlier :) they haven't been irritated by their ears at all but both have a little scab inside their ears which was there when we got them.

Those poor bunnies in the links you sent though :(

If they were kept in a very small space they may have nicked one another if they got hot and bothered. But you've not noticed any aggression between the two of them at all since being with you?

If they were kept in a very small space they may have nicked one another if they got hot and bothered. But you've not noticed any aggression between the two of them at all since being with you?
No none, I'd say they're currently more stable and loved up than my other two [emoji38]

Back