• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Types of mint - are there any that are unsafe?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
I bought some mint yesterday but it's a different type to the normal mint you buy. Putting the picture onto a plant identification app (pl@ntnet.. it's a useful app for identifying plants, especially if you're paranoid like me :p not 100% accurate but I find it reassuring if it agrees with my 'guess' :lol:) it says it's bergamot mint (the picture looks exactly like what I bought). I tried googling to see if it was safe for rabbits but nothing came up. I was just wondering if it's okay to feed? I thought all types of mint were safe but found one website which claimed that not all are, though it doesn't state which are unsafe :?

I bought some mint yesterday but it's a different type to the normal mint you buy. Putting the picture onto a plant identification app (pl@ntnet.. it's a useful app for identifying plants, especially if you're paranoid like me :p not 100% accurate but I find it reassuring if it agrees with my 'guess' :lol:) it says it's bergamot mint (the picture looks exactly like what I bought). I tried googling to see if it was safe for rabbits but nothing came up. I was just wondering if it's okay to feed? I thought all types of mint were safe but found one website which claimed that not all are, though it doesn't state which are unsafe :?

I've never heard of it and can't find anything substantial online about it. Does it give a scientific name for it? Is it a Mentha? Which website says that not all Mint is safe?

Unusual - was this in an oriental or middle eastern food store?

No, just a normal market stall. They normally sell the same mint as the supermarkets (though I did once find spearmint)
The app is calling it Mentha Aquatica L

Last edited:
No, just a normal market stall. They normally sell the same mint as the supermarkets (though I did once find spearmint)
The app is calling it Mentha Aquatic L

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you had bought the plant!

It's starting to make a little bit of sense now. The Wiki page for Bergamot Mint states https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergamot_mint. The Wiki page for Mentha Citrata states https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_citrata. This advises that it is probably better to consider it a cultivar of Mentha Aquatica, which is Water Mint. You've also confirmed from your app that the specimen you have agrees with this. We have got Mentha Aquatica in the pond and feed it to the rabbits :)
The other name suggested on the first Wiki page is Monarda Didyma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarda_didyma, which to me looks like a normal Monarda i.e. doesn't look like Mint.

I would be confident in feeding it to my rabbits. I would actually be confident feeding any Mentha.

I'm not sure.. I think that's the one the app thought it was as the name is the same but that seems to have smaller/rounder leaves. I've taken some different pictures (the ones I took last night weren't great) and the app now thinks it's either 'garden mint' or 'biblical mint' :roll:
It's a good basic guide but maybe not completely accurate lol.

It looks quite similar to the normal mint you get in the supermarket but it's definitely different up close (not sure if the picture shows that or not; kinda looks like normal mint there lol)

It didn't seem to have much of a smell last night but today it smells spearmint-y.. Maybe it's spearmint after all?
Agh my plant knowledge is terrible :oops::lol:

B41_F8_B56_A7_DEF5_DC71_FD9_E441_C8151_B5_C22_A047_BD56_C211_B5_A_pimgpsh_full.jpg

I'm not sure.. I think that's the one the app thought it was as the name is the same but that seems to have smaller/rounder leaves. I've taken some different pictures (the ones I took last night weren't great) and the app now thinks it's either 'garden mint' or 'biblical mint' :roll:
It's a good basic guide but maybe not completely accurate lol.

It looks quite similar to the normal mint you get in the supermarket but it's definitely different up close (not sure if the picture shows that or not; kinda looks like normal mint there lol)

It didn't seem to have much of a smell last night but today it smells spearmint-y.. Maybe it's spearmint after all?
Agh my plant knowledge is terrible :oops::lol:

B41_F8_B56_A7_DEF5_DC71_FD9_E441_C8151_B5_C22_A047_BD56_C211_B5_A_pimgpsh_full.jpg

From what you've described and what I've researched, I would think it's OK for bunnies.
Also, you didn't find it foraging, you found it in a supermarket so that would also indicate to me it's safe!

I troubled for years over methi in shops until I realise it was fenugreek and the buns loved it.
Perhaps you've discovered a new cultivar - perhaps water mint or some other mentha, but I think it looks (and smells) sufficiently like a brand of mint to be OK for the buns x

True, they wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't safe for people so I'm guessing it's probably okay for rabbits too. It was the website (that I now can't find again!) saying that not all types were safe that got me wondering as I thought all types were safe.
I'm just so paranoid lol.
Yeah, the methi worried me too but my lot love it now. I'm going to have to find out how to grow it because I've only ever found it at our local market and I don't think they'd forgive me if I didn't find a way to keep it in their diet :lol:

Thank you both for the advice, I'm sorry to trouble you with it :oops:

True, they wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't safe for people so I'm guessing it's probably okay for rabbits too. It was the website (that I now can't find again!) saying that not all types were safe that got me wondering as I thought all types were safe.
I'm just so paranoid lol.
Yeah, the methi worried me too but my lot love it now. I'm going to have to find out how to grow it because I've only ever found it at our local market and I don't think they'd forgive me if I didn't find a way to keep it in their diet :lol:

Thank you both for the advice, I'm sorry to trouble you with it :oops:

Gosh, never be sorry! I learn something new every day :D

Bumping up this thread because I want to buy mint seeds to start a new herb bed for my bunnies but I'm not sure which variety to get. Does anyone on here have a favourite for buns?

Bumping up this thread because I want to buy mint seeds to start a new herb bed for my bunnies but I'm not sure which variety to get. Does anyone on here have a favourite for buns?

I don't have a favourite, but I grew some Spearmint a couple of years ago from seed. It's in large pots, it produces well, but isn't too thuggish and the rabbits seem to like it.

I don't have a favourite, but I grew some Spearmint a couple of years ago from seed. It's in large pots, it produces well, but isn't too thuggish and the rabbits seem to like it.

Thanks Omi, I'll have a look into getting some Spearmint seeds. I just ordered Lemon Balm too as I've heard that goes down a treat. My Kale and Perpetual Spinach are growing really well by the way :D

Thanks Omi, I'll have a look into getting some Spearmint seeds. I just ordered Lemon Balm too as I've heard that goes down a treat. My Kale and Perpetual Spinach are growing really well by the way :D

Fantastic :D

Lemon Balm does indeed go down a treat. It will also self-seed all over your garden, so you'll always have enough of it. I also think it's attractive and use it in arrangements of flowers in the house. I think you can also use the leaves to make Lemon Balm Infusion, but I've never got round to it.

Lemon Balm grows rampant in the garden and I just pull it up and feed to the buns :)

Back