• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding after illness?

ChallinL

New Kit
Hi, I am after some advice please!
One of our rabbits has been very ill recently - possible EC or ear infection - and we had to split him up from his bunny friend and bring him indoors to look after him. Our vet has advised that we now keep him as a house bunny, which is fine with us as he is now quite settled and is keeping us entertained, but I am not sure whether we should try and rebond him with his friend, or whether this will make him more susceptible to becoming ill again (assuming it was EC). Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Yes they are both male, on the whole they got on when they were together, there was the odd bit of chasing but they never really fought. I put them in adjacent runs yesterday evening and they were both trying to push their faces through the bars and bite and scratch each other.

You will need to put them together in a neutral space and see how they get on, if you want to put them together again. When you feel they are ok together after a couple of days maybe, then return them to their normal set-up. Hope it works out for you.

One of my EC buns has had several relapses - although some were caused by stress it was continued stress for long periods like moving house, or another illness such as dental which caused a hit to his immune system. I have rebonded him many times after illness and as they were very quickly readjusted it didn't cause significant damage to his immune system so he didn't relapse. I've actually bonded him to several new buns over the years, more recently into a 7 and he's been fine.

Back