• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pre and post neuter care?

Jo93

Young Bun
I'm sure this question has been asked LOTS of times!! So for that I'm sorry...

So Twix is booked in to be neutered tomorrow morning and I'm due to then collect him in the afternoon. What tips do you have for things I should do pre and post neuter? And what would be considered "normal" for his behavior post neuter and what would be behavior to be concerned about?

Thank you!!

I've had a bunny in for a spay rather than a neuter but there are things that are applicable for both.

Feed him as normal tomorrow morning. Rabbits shouldn't fast before an op as their guts need to keep working all the time. It might also be a good idea to take some of his favourite foods in for the nursing staff to offer him to encourage him to eat when he comes round.

Stock up on critical care or other recovery food (you should be able to get them from the vets if you don't have them already). This is just in case he is a little slower to get his appetite back and you may need to syringe feed if he doesn't eat for himself. When you pick him up, check when he last had any food so you can gauge if and when you need to give him recovery food.

Ask also about pain relief to administer at home for a few days after the op. For the spay I was told to give it for about 5 days. Boys might not need it for that long. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm.

Keep him restricted for a few days, so don't let him jump onto any high surfaces.

Bunnies seem to recover at different rates with these ops. He may be a bit subdued or he may bounce around as though nothing has happened! The important thing is to make sure he's eating, drinking and pooping.

Finally, lots of vibes for you and Twix for tomorrow. x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry this will be a 'bullet point' post

Before neuter- feed as normal, do not withhold food or water

Take some favorite foods as a 'packed lunch' for him

Only sign consent form for op if you have a guarantee that take home pain relief will be provided post surgery

Post op, SCH has given good advice in her post above, just to add the Vet should not discharge your Rabbit until he has poo'd/ passed wee and started to nibble at some food

Once home monitor poo and wee output as well as what he is eating/drinking. What comes out is as important as what goes in

Check surgical site 2 x a day, there should not be too much bruising/swelling. There should not be any oozing of blood/fluid from the site

Ask about follow up appointment with Vet to check healing if a follow up appointment is not offered.

Good luck for today x

Last edited:
I can’t add anything to what SLH and JJ said, so I’m posting to send vibes and hope the neuter goes well :thumb:

Thank you all! He's currently munching on a big pile of hay and we'll be off to the vets soon :/

I can't think of anything to add to the comprehensive advice you have already been given. Sending loads of vibes for him and I hope he is very soon back to normal.

Good luck for today xx

It's always a bit nerve wracking when they have to go off for their ops. I hope you're able to keep yourself busy to keep your mind off it. A time honoured RU tradition is to take advantage of the fact they're out for the day have a really good spring clean!

Good luck for today xx

It's always a bit nerve wracking when they have to go off for their ops. I hope you're able to keep yourself busy to keep your mind off it. A time honoured RU tradition is to take advantage of the fact they're out for the day have a really good spring clean!

Funny you should say that as I've just finished having a big clean of his room!! And put new toys in and some basil (his favourite) for when he's home :) hopefully he'll appreciate it ha

Back