• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I currently have a 9 week old half Netherland dwarf and half Lionhead rabbit. For the past week or so he has been sneezing on and off, either in bouts or an individual sneeze. He is still very active, eating and drinking well and there is no discharge. Does it sound like he is ill or could it just be allergies?

Hello

Ongoing issues with sneezing can be indication of an Upper respiratory tract infection, even if you cannot see any nasal discharge at the moment. You might find that the fur on the insides of his front paws is damp and sticky. This would indicate that he is wiping any discharge away from his nose before you get the chance to see it.

On the other hand it may be that he is reacting to an allergen in the environment. If he is kept on wood shavings this often causes respiratory tract issues.

My advice is to get your Rabbit thoroughly checked over by a Vet ASAP as a full examination is needed to identify what is going on. Consulting the Vet will also give you the opportunity to discuss getting your Rabbit vaccinated and when he is old enough getting him neutered (unless he is a Stud Buck)

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund have a vast amount of information about the best care of Pet Rabbits, including information about the importance of vaccinating

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

I currently have a 9 week old half Netherland dwarf and half Lionhead rabbit. For the past week or so he has been sneezing on and off, either in bouts or an individual sneeze. He is still very active, eating and drinking well and there is no discharge. Does it sound like he is ill or could it just be allergies?

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

A lot of buns are sneezing at this time of year, with the air quality as it is. Also, a little one is going to be stressed by the changes in his life so it's difficult to know whether he's 'under par' at the moment.

Is there any white discharge or is it just sneezing? I find vets are reluctant to do anything until the white stuff appears .. Even then it's not always easy to treat these things as the nasal passages are hard to reach with antibiotics.

Will you be taking him to the vet for his vaccinations? He will get a thorough MOT then :)

Some info on vaccinations here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

Would love to see photos of your lovely new addition when you have time :D

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

A lot of buns are sneezing at this time of year, with the air quality as it is. Also, a little one is going to be stressed by the changes in his life so it's difficult to know whether he's 'under par' at the moment.

Is there any white discharge or is it just sneezing? I find vets are reluctant to do anything until the white stuff appears .. Even then it's not always easy to treat these things as the nasal passages are hard to reach with antibiotics.

Will you be taking him to the vet for his vaccinations? He will get a thorough MOT then :)

Some info on vaccinations here:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

Would love to see photos of your lovely new addition when you have time :D

There isn't any discharge that I can see and he has his second lot of vaccinations in two weeks. I just didn't know whether it was worth taking him to the vets as he shares a hutch with his brother and I don't want them to give diseases to each other.

There isn't any discharge that I can see and he has his second lot of vaccinations in two weeks. I just didn't know whether it was worth taking him to the vets as he shares a hutch with his brother and I don't want them to give diseases to each other.

Did the sneezing start up after his vaccination ?

I would get the Vet to give him another check up. There may not be anything much to worry about. But without an examination it's impossible to say for sure and it's always best to err on the side of caution, IMO. Treating any problem (if there is one) promptly will offer the best longterm prognosis.

Good luck x

Has he just had his vaccination? You only have to leave a couple of weeks between them so depending on timings you may be able to get the appointment brought forward?

Failing that I would give your vet a call and see what they say to do :)

Yeah he had one for myxomatosis three weeks ago, so I'll try that thank you. :)

Three weeks is ample time :)

If you book the vaccinations in and the vet prefers you to wait a little longer (or even suggest something for the sneezing) then you will have covered all bases :D

Back